mipafox

Are You Leaving NJ in the Next 5 Years?

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to leave NJ in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Already Gone
    • I'm a cop Yes
    • I'm a cop No

Things happened pretty quickly over the past few weeks. I'm actually going to b leaving to FL as soon as my house sells. Maybe even before that. Wife and baby already down there, just have to tie up lose ends and get down there.

Now I have to decide if I want to un-neuter my rifles, sell them or just keep them...

• Like 1

Things happened pretty quickly over the past few weeks. I'm actually going to b leaving to FL as soon as my house sells. Maybe even before that. Wife and baby already down there, just have to tie up lose ends and get down there.

Now I have to decide if I want to un-neuter my rifles, sell them or just keep them...

Congrats bro.

I did both because I could.  Where in the Gunshine state?

Looking at the Palm Coast area. Spent the past 3x weeks down there with the family and loved it. Anyone have any tips on where I can go to read up on their gun laws? I know it's pretty much "whatever you couldn't have in Jersey, you can have in FL". Are there any Good FL gun forums? Lol

Looking at the Palm Coast area. Spent the past 3x weeks down there with the family and loved it. Anyone have any tips on where I can go to read up on their gun laws? I know it's pretty much "whatever you couldn't have in Jersey, you can have in FL". Are there any Good FL gun forums? Lol

What gun laws? Partially kidding but there aren't many.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com

Read up, get a resident CWP and you can buy anything you want and take it home with a NICS check. Unlike Texas they still require background checks for CWP holders. However if the mood strikes at 4 PM on a Sunday you can buy a firearm and take it home because NICS is open.'

I find the Florida hometown section on ARFCOM to be the best. I saw a small forum where there weren't any posts for months so I stick to ARFCOM.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_8/10_Florida.html

What gun laws? Partially kidding but there aren't many.

- No Open Carry

- No Carry any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05

- No Carry any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station

- No Carry any polling place (only cops can't carry at polling places in PA)

- No Carry any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;

- No Carry any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;

- No Carry any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

- No Carry any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

- No Carry any area vocational-technical center;

- No Carry any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or non-lethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; (See Note in Parking Lot Storage Section)

- No Carry inside the passenger terminal of any airport

Just teasing :) FL aint bad, but there are some shitty carry laws around the Nation. At least you don't have sign laws. You guys should try to do away with that nonsense, though.

When you're coming from NJ those laws ain't that tough to live with.  They are working on OC which keeps getting bounced around.  Same with campus.

PA is definitely more gun friendly than FL, but it's all relative.  :)

Looks like my exodus plans will be ramping up.

The town I live in, Paramus, is amending its Master Plan to allow for the building of a 1000 unit low income housing project.

They claim it will not increase crime, taxes, require additional police, fire or ambulance or put a burden on the school systems.

Haven't heard of this happening?  The Dems running the town are keeping it hush hush.

Looks like my exodus plans will be ramping up.

The town I live in, Paramus, is amending its Master Plan to allow for the building of a 1000 unit low income housing project.

They claim it will not increase crime, taxes, require additional police, fire or ambulance or put a burden on the school systems.

Haven't heard of this happening? The Dems running the town are keeping it hush hush.

The dems are ruining the entire state.

Trying to get wife to move but she's the oldest of five. Her family mostly lives 15- 45 minutes minutes awaw from us. They will bury me here. May as well stay and fight.

At least I'm raising my children not buy into the anti-gun, liberal way of thinking.

Good luck to all those who escape. Continue the fight where ever you go because the liberals who can afford to are fleeing right behind you and could well become your new neighbor. Remember those left behind.

James- That really sucks man! sorry to hear that but that is the true southern hospitality. they will be nice to your face but talk a bunch of shit behind your back. Ive experienced it so many times in the south that in certain situations I have spoke with a southern accent to avoid being labeled the "Yankee" 

I moved to WNC more than a dozen years ago and this is redneck central. LOL I have never had problems with the locals and you can tell I'm a yank from word one.

I will tell ya this if you want to be harassed move here and start acting like one, they HATE yanks who move here then think they're rednecks. I had a neighbor who I thought was a local for sometime he dressed like John Wayne and talked with a drawl you couldn't understand, I wondered why he had such a hard time with the locals then another local told me he was from NJ. LOL He ended up moving.

Best move I ever made. My taxes are 1/25th what I was paying in NJ with 4 times the property on the side of a mountain, my auto ins is 1/5th. Oh I can walk into a gun store and walk out with whatever I want also, Here if you have CHP no need for anything else and nearly everyone I know has one. Oh and i shoot off my front deck whenever I want to.

Oh one last story the yank I mentioned above once called the law on us shooting skeet right in the middle of my property, the deputy got out asked what kind of shotguns we were using took a few shots and now stops by when he gets the chance or knows we are shooting. Secret here is just don't act like a redneck if you are a yank.

I moved to WNC more than a dozen years ago and this is redneck central. LOL I have never had problems with the locals and you can tell I'm a yank from word one.

I will tell ya this if you want to be harassed move here and start acting like one, they HATE yanks who move here then think they're rednecks. I had a neighbor who I thought was a local for sometime he dressed like John Wayne and talked with a drawl you couldn't understand, I wondered why he had such a hard time with the locals then another local told me he was from NJ. LOL He ended up moving.

Best move I ever made. My taxes are 1/25th what I was paying in NJ with 4 times the property on the side of a mountain, my auto ins is 1/5th. Oh I can walk into a gun store and walk out with whatever I want also, Here if you have CHP no need for anything else and nearly everyone I know has one. Oh and i shoot off my front deck whenever I want to.

Oh one last story the yank I mentioned above once called the law on us shooting skeet right in the middle of my property, the deputy got out asked what kind of shotguns we were using took a few shots and now stops by when he gets the chance or knows we are shooting. Secret here is just don't act like a redneck if you are a yank.

i have found if you don't try to bring the north to the south they are all fine.  They like their freedom and what they worry most about with northerners is us polluting their land with our bad political decisions.  As soon as I applied for resident CCW and declared republican on my voter registration I was pretty well accepted.  In fact the lady that handled my voter registration held her breath until I answered republican and then exhaled, "Thank God."

• Like 1

I am leaving tomorrow to drive down to Spartanburg, South Carolina for a couple of days, then driving up to Ashville, NC for a couple of days and then continuing up to St. Michaels, MD. This road trip is all part of my plan to scope out each area as a potential relocation destination for my wife and myself once we decide to move out of NJ. At this point, Ashville, NC is probably our first choice.

Regarding the "Yankeevication", (I just made up that word), of the South, I believe that both VA and NC are and will continue to become more purple politically, with SC retaining most of its Southern culture and redness, even with the episode last summer regarding the CBF. All three states have clear advantages compared to NJ and almost all of the necessary prerequisites for us that I listed in an earlier post on this thread.

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am leaving tomorrow to drive down to Spartanburg, South Carolina for a couple of days, then driving up to Ashville, NC for a couple of days and then continuing up to St. Michaels, MD. This road trip is all part of my plan to scope out each area as a potential relocation destination for my wife and myself once we decide to move out of NJ. At this point, Ashville, NC is probably our first choice.

Regarding the "Yankeevication", (I just made up that word), of the South, I believe that both VA and NC are and will continue to become more purple politically, with SC retaining most of its Southern culture and redness, even with the episode last summer regarding the CBF. All three states have clear advantages compared to NJ and almost all of the necessary prerequisites for us that I listed in an earlier post on this thread.

AVB-AMG

Purple is better than blue

45Frank- I'm not arguing that cost of living is much less in most of the south and I know the south has great gun laws. I've spent allot of time in the south, allot. I've never had a problem in western north Carolina (Franklin area) all the locals were cool there. But try going to outside the Shreveport Louisiana area (not inside the city but the surrounding area) tell everyone that your from NJ. You will get a much different reaction than you have experienced.

AVB-AMG

Spartanburg is a rough area, stay a few miles outside and you'll be fine, some places are cheaper then here. There is plenty of middle class work there, BMW, Amazon and inland port I think they call it. Asheville is mostly liberal and wants to be known as SanFran east. Plenty to do but expensive to live there with little work outside a  large hospital. Go west or east and even south of there it's cheaper.

Good Luck!

Let us know what you think.

AVB-AMG

I'd seriously rethink MD. Very high taxes and very anti-gun gov't. Don't know St. Michaels, but many areas in MD are expensive to live.

I'd seriously rethink MD. Very high taxes and very anti-gun gov't. Don't know St. Michaels, but many ares in MD are expensive to live.

MD too many similarities to NJ including inheritance and estate taxes. Only two states in the country have both.

I'd seriously rethink MD. Very high taxes and very anti-gun gov't. Don't know St. Michaels, but many ares in MD are expensive to live.

MD too many similarities to NJ including inheritance and estate taxes. Only two states in the country have both.

I'm on the way out as soon as I can get my house sold - I wanted the Republic of Texas, wife says too hot but we can retire there - we decided on NC for the time being (R-D triangle area, in-laws have a beach house and are retired 3 hours away on the Southern OBX) - so thats the plan

I'm pretty sure I've posted elsewhere in this lengthy thread, but this is a good reminder that if I'm not out of here by the beginning of 2018 when Christie leaves office, at the very least I want to have a residence somewhere in Free America where I can keep my stuff.  

• Like 2

Financial advisor advised thusly: Whatever you do, DO NOT RETIRE IN NJ. 

Taxes.

Get out before you start drawing from your retirement.

And DO NOT die in NJ--the estate death tax exemption is $675,000 and it is a pretty steep levy once you hit the $675K--I believe it is an effective rate of 37% on the $52,175 above the exemption, then it drops down to single digits.  And I do not believe there is a spousal pass-through exemption.  i.e. you can inherit your spouses entire estate, but your exemption remains at $675K.

If you do plan to die in NJ and you exceed the exemption (which really is not much when you consider home prices and inflation) consider legal advice for estate planning.

And do not will your estate to anyone in NJ as they will also pay an inheritance tax on anything over $25K I believe.