Sign in to follow this  
JimmyAGR

Remington UMC

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday I was shooting Remington UMC .40 JHP and had a round with no powder. It had a primer, I heard the sizzle, and stopped the shooter before he could pull the trigger again, luckily. I dropped the mag, held the gun pointed down range for a minute then pulled the slide and barrel. There she was stuck in the barrel. Had to go buy a dowel to knock it out. Cost me .59 cents, but saved my Sig 226. I called Remington and they are sending me return info to send this stuff back. I have another 225 rounds that I don't want to shoot so hopefully they will make good on it. This ammo is about 3 years old. 

Be safe,

Jimmy

Happened to me recently with a PSA factory reload 9mm at one of the ranges. I'm glad I checked it through before just ejecting the casing and trying to shoot another round... Could've had a really big BANG.

Just a word of caution - if you use a wooden dowel to drive the stuck bullet out of the barrel, you stand the chance of it splitting and wedging the bullet in the barrel even tighter. You should use a brass rod, as close to bore diameter as possible.

Just a word of caution - if you use a wooden dowel to drive the stuck bullet out of the barrel, you stand the chance of it splitting and wedging the bullet in the barrel even tighter. You should use a brass rod, as close to bore diameter as possible.

Thank you for that advice

The same thing happened with me and JimmyAGR at Central Jersey with my S&W Model 28-2. One of my powder puff Trail Boss loads must not have metered so well. It didn't have enough oomph to clear the barrel. 

I use my aluminum cleaning rod. It's too big for a 22 barrel, but works fine for 357 and up. It is rigid enough to get the bullet through but soft enough not to mar the rifling. 

Put a spent brass case on both ends the dowel

Would have to be of smaller caliber, like 32 ACP for a 9mm (though even that would be a tight fit. 25 ACP would be better), 9 for 40, etc. (The rim on a 9mm case is just under 10mm).