EWC88

Robin Williams

Well its always sad when someone dies. Me I feel for our kids who died in battle. They deserve the front page. This guy offed himself  so selfish.

"Selfish"... what a tired refrain when it comes to suicide. Almost as tired as, "he had everything a person could want". We aren't talking about a guy who decided to kill himself on a whim or because the local Starbucks made his soy latte incorrectly. This is a person that was known to suffer from debilitating depressive episodes. This isn't about being down in the dumps, feeling blue, having a bad week. We are talking about possibly being mentally incapacitated sometimes to the point of not getting out of bed for weeks [not saying this is exact case with Robins]. If a person hasn't dealt with depression on a professional or personal level they typically lack perspective on the seriousness of the disease.

Yes, suicide is a horrible thing and does terrible damage to everyone involved. However, "selfish" is not the word I would use to describe a person who was in such mental anguish that they thought the pain of physical death was preferable to living. That isn't to say one should care more about Williams [edit] than the other 30k people who do it every year, but such is the nature of celebrity and our 24hr news cycle.

An interesting perspective from a CHP officer who worked the Golden Gate.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_briggs_the_bridge_between_suicide_and_life#t-501339

He was an exceptional entertainer. I learned about his demise from our local "Angel of Death," who has reported every significant fatality to us during the last 25 years. I had a difficult time finishing my tomato salad.

Read today that Williams had been in financial trouble. Not to malign him or understate the tragedy, but how the fukc does someone who has earned 100s of millions of dollars encounter money problems? You put 3-4% away and, at age 63, you can still live like a king even if you're otherwise totally wiped out. I just don't get it.

His two ex wives reportedly cost him $35 million or so.   And the addictions weren't cheap, either.

Very funny guy (for the most part). Saw him in the mid-80's at a small club in San Diego as he was working on material for an HBO special. I even exchanged a few words with him at the back-bar there. Sweet guy. You could actually feel the man's heart. He was a genuine soul.

But bottom-line....

His addictions and marriages were of his own making. Therefore he is not a victim. He is a product of his own choices.... including his own demise. 

His wife and children however had no vote in his ultimate decision. 

Robin Williams was a funny guy, a sweet guy, and a tortured soul.... but he is not a victim or an innocent bystander to his own death. He was a coward, and he left behind the real victims of his privileged life by selfishly taking his own.

Funny doesn't = saint. 

Perspective. Always keep these things in perspective. Would you forgive/understand a loved one who abandoned you in this way?

Very funny guy (for the most part). Saw him in the mid-80's at a small club in San Diego as he was working on material for an HBO special. I even exchanged a few words with him at the back-bar there. Sweet guy. You could actually feel the man's heart. He was a genuine soul.

But bottom-line....

His addictions and marriages were of his own making. Therefore he is not a victim. He is a product of his own choices.... including his own demise.

His wife and children however had no vote in his ultimate decision.

Robin Williams was a funny guy, a sweet guy, and a tortured soul.... but he is not a victim or an innocent bystander to his own death. He was a coward, and he left behind the real victims of his privileged life by selfishly taking his own.

Funny doesn't = saint.

Perspective. Always keep these things in perspective. Would you forgive/understand a loved one who abandoned you in this way?

Exactly. Took the thoughts right out of my head

Ok, so anyone feel bad about their comments? The just announced he was battling Parkinson's Disease... Nothing like everyone trying to be arm-chair quarterbacks without knowing whole story. Swtfein...

Ok, so anyone feel bad about their comments? The just announced he was battling Parkinson's Disease... Nothing like everyone trying to be arm-chair quarterbacks without knowing whole story. Swtfein...

Just wondering why Michael J Fox hasn't committed suicide yet.

He suffers from Parkinson's.... and yet he sets a positive example for others and advocates for Parkinson's research/cure. 

So he obviously has a lot of explaining to do for why he hasn't killed himself yet, doesn't he? 

And for that matter, so does Muhammed Ali.

Anyway... what was your point again???

(FYI: the above comment was made while quarterbacking my arm-chair)

And just for the record, I really don't share all of this obsession about Robin Williams. I didn't obsess about him before he killed himself, so I'm not about to obsess about him after he killed himself. I've stated my personal opinion about this situation, and it hasn't changed.  

So if anyone wants to start painting me with the "you big meanie" label, you can go Mork yourself. I can't be bothered with this nonsense any more.

My point is there are so many here that I would not want in my jury if I were under trial. Regardless who it is, there are so many ready to pass judgement with just what the media puts out. It makes no difference who it is/was.

Quite often, I see bashing of the left wing media here. Trust me, I hate the media too. But then we are so eager to be the first to post news, criticize, complain, pass judgement, etc.

Yet you all must know we NEVER get the whole story.

We are ready to pass judgement based upon what the same 'hated' media spews from their pie holes. Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? Or ironic? Or?

As for who cares about someone who passes, whether you care about them or not, give them a handful of respect for what they accomplished in life. Quite often, it's more than most of us accomplish in life.

A) I wasn't aware that Robin Williams was on trial. I stated a personal opinion only.

B) Whether I did or didn't acknowledge his accomplishments (I did), is completely besides the point.

C) Who appointed you to be the moral arbiter here? Do all views need to pass through you before they can be posted?

Na-Nu Na-Nu

He did a ton to boost the morale of troops overseas.  Although I wasn't on any of the "cool FOBs" that he had gone too.  He always gave 110% for those in uniform in the states and overseas.  Anyone willing to do that gets cool points in my book.  He took the torch from Bob Hope and ran with it.  Hopefully that torch won't burn out now that he's gone.

Moral also has nothing to do with it. It's knowing 100% of the facts which we never have here. I'm merely saying how most are so fast to post judgement on anyone. Yet, we will beat the hell out of each other here to prove who is right or wrong not knowing all the facts.

WJ is correct.

Moral also has nothing to do with it. It's knowing 100% of the facts which we never have here. I'm merely saying how most are so fast to post judgement on anyone. Yet, we will beat the hell out of each other here to prove who is right or wrong not knowing all the facts.

WJ is correct.

Dude, you need to ease your jaws open and let go of my ankles, because you're really becoming a nuisance.

First of all, I never based my opinion about anything other than my opinion. "The entire facts of the story" has no bearing on the fact that he killed himself - and that was the only basis for my opinion on this subject.

So why you have now chosen to concoct this preposterous straw man argument about not knowing all of the facts before stating my own opinion is what is really ticking me off.

Robin Williams killed himself. That is a fact. 

So I don't consider him a victim of his death, because he caused his own death.

But just to give you something to do other than nip at my ankles all day, why don't you look up the links between drug addiction (especially cocaine addiction) and Parkinson's disease. 

You really need to back off dude. I stated my opinion, and now your acting like a freakin troll.

As for Robin Williams entertainment of the troops, yeah, that's commendable, and I was well aware of that for many years. I never questioned the man's heart (I actually extolled it in my original post). And as a former Marine I admire all entertainers who travel to war zones in order to provide entertainment to the troops.

But Robin Williams wasn't the first to do that, and he isn't the last to do that. Thankfully there are many who do the same. However... Robin Williams won't be doing that anymore.... because he killed himself. 

The number of people who are tripping all over themselves to shower admiration on this guy because he is dead need to understand that he's dead because he killed himself

He is not a victim. Period.

Never found him funny.

he stopped being funny decades ago, just about the time he got off the coke. Now he's decades into unfunny and dead. Makes you wonder if he would have been better off staying on coke. I do feel bad for him and for his family.

If there is any good to be extracted from this tragedy, at least the anti's can't make anything out of it...

It's one less person working to destroy our 2A rights and the American way of life. As sad as it is, there is a silver lining when the enemies of liberty leave the Earth. We all gotta go, I hope he went to some place nice, just the sooner the better for us left on Earth when it comes to some people.

As for who cares about someone who passes, whether you care about them or not, give them a handful of respect for what they accomplished in life. Quite often, it's more than most of us accomplish in life.

The saddest part is what the social media whacks did to his daughter.

My god people, show some respect!