Bully

LEO Ammunition?

So, I'm picking up a new handgun in .45acp. It will be a semi auto with a 4" barrel. It will be a range toy, see some use in steel shoots but mostly it will be my HD/bedside gun.

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what LEO uses/has used in their 45acp guns? Or, what is permitted by their departments? Or, maybe the FBI?

Honestly I don't know how that whole thing works, the LEO thing. Do departments make y'all use what they tell you or can you opt for whatever you like?

Regardless, for defensive purposes I'd really like to know what the cops use. I'm hoping that it'll never need to be used that way but in this instance I have to figure they know best.

C

Federal HST is very popular with LEOs as is Winchester Ranger. Also, looking to what LEOs use for their purposes may or may not be a good thing. I know of one department that forbids the use of expanding ammunition so they're stuck with FMJ in their G22s. I've heard of some departments that forbid the use of hollow points completely so they'll use expanding FMJs. Here's what DocGKR, an expert in terminal ballistics, recommends for .45ACP:

Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)

Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Personally, I like HSTs in either loading. Both work flawlessly in my P220, G21, 1911, and my FIL's 4506.

We currently use Federal HST. We have used Speer Gold Dots and Winchester SXT (before the SXT-T version was available)

Any of the above loads in .45ACP will serve you well.

There are also bonded versions of these offerings if you are concerned about performance through intermediate barriers such as auto glass and thin metal.

Also, Ty is right. Listen to DocGKR, he is the man when it comes to this stuff.

Massad Ayoob speaks very highly of Corbon ammo.

Ayoob is good with a bunch of stuff. His use of force lecture and mindset stuff is great. His opinions on equipment/TTP/ammo can be a bit dated however.

I think the HST, GDHP, and Ranger T/SXT-T loads are generations better than the Corbon stuff.

FBI? A relative has a .40 loaded with MagTech Hollow Points (not sure of the grain).

Local PD has 40 Glocks and they also carry what looks like MagTech brand hollow poins.

I would trust the MagTech HP ammo for a carry weapon, I've shot a ton of that brand and it performs very well.

Whatever you choose make sure you run at least 100 rounds through your blaster to make sure it functions correctly.

Let us know what you ended up with an why you chose it.

Will do. Thanks a bunch.

C

FWIW, and I know it's a long shot...

If anyone has 100 or so rounds of 230gn Speer Gold Dot they are looking to turn into cash, drop me a line. I know I recently missed some and I'm bummed about it, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm in Bergen Cty, but I'm happy to drive a touch to pick it up.

C

FWIW, and I know it's a long shot...

If anyone has 100 or so rounds of 230gn Speer Gold Dot they are looking to turn into cash, drop me a line. I know I recently missed some and I'm bummed about it, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm in Bergen Cty, but I'm happy to drive a touch to pick it up.

C

Here you go: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-45-acp-speer-le-gold-dot-230gr-hp-ammo/cName/45-acp-all-45-acp

Price is $39.95 for 50 rounds, Speer LE Gold Dot (45 ACP) 230gr hollow points.

EDIT: They ship to NJ, just send in a copy of your FPID and DL and they will ship it. I buy most of my ammo from them..

IMO, you shouldn't base your decision on what any given LE agency decides to issue.  Who's to say they're doing more extensive testing on ammo than any random person this forum?  Or maybe they have budgetary constraints and are going with whatever decent JHP they can get a good deal on.  Heck I'll bet there are a number of agencies that still issue Hydra Shoks because they switched to it 20 years ago when it was the best option and they haven't bothered to do any recent testing on the more modern JHP offerings...the point I'm trying to make is just because they're LE doesn't make them experts on terminal ballistics.

As Ty and HE mention, Dr. Roberts is an expert on terminal ballistics.  Here's the latest list of loads he recommends for various service calibers:  http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo.  Any of these will suit you well, as long as you test it in your firearm like HE mentioned.

We don't use them where I work, but in my personal weapon I use Hornady Critical Defense. Never had a problem with it in 9mm, good penetration, good expansion, lower recoil for quicker follow up shots. I'm assuming the .45ACP would be similar.

We don't use them where I work, but in my personal weapon I use Hornady Critical Defense. Never had a problem with it in 9mm, good penetration, good expansion, lower recoil for quicker follow up shots. I'm assuming the .45ACP would be similar.

Shot that in 9mm from a S&W 659 before, good ammo but the gun didn't like it for some reason and would have FTF (failure to feed) every 3 or 4 rounds (again, the gun didn't like it).

In a 9mm Glock it cycled like a dream and never had a stoppage. Good ammo for HD or carry.

OP, buy a few boxes of each and see which works best for you. After you find the one which works best grab a few hundred rounds :)

Most of this area uses federal. The distributor that handles most departments in the area is federals largest dealer. Good stuff come through there

I had Federal FMJ 9mm rounds a while back when I shot the S&W 659, those were the rounds that cycled well in that gun. I'm pretty sure it was Federal brand.

Also have a few boxes of Federal 12GA demolition rounds for taking out dead bolts, locks, hinges, that was some fun ammo to shoot :D