kingsey

thoughts on the sig 516

Hello guys new member here. I've been kicking the idea around of building my first ar. I originally wanted a sig 556 but it seems very difficult to find someone would can pin that type of stock in nj, so I've moved on. I do like the idea and cleanliness of a piston system.

Anyone have a 516? Worth the money?

Monmouth arms (remixer on njgf) has one in stock nj compliant for a good price. Pm him.

That being said you can easily build an ar to your specs for the same or less than buying factory. Just dont expect the resale value on a built rifle to be the same as a factory one.

The Sig 550/556 series are unique and reliable guns. They are not traditional ARs and are probably closer to AKs in how they function (I have a buddy that refers to them as the nicest AKs he has ever seen). As such, the below is in reference to Sig 516 and other piston AR variants only.

Quality piston ARs are ok but not necessary by any means. I actually prefer a traditional DI gun to a piston gun.

You are paying a premium for a piston system that is allegedly offering a perceived advantage that you will never see the benefit of IMO. But you will pay extra for the rifle, have a hard time sourcing parts for preventative maintenance and they will be more expensive when you do find them. This is assuming you are starting with a quality piston system (LWRCI or HK).

I would rather spend the extra money on ammo and training from a reputable instructor than a piston AR.

That being said, I would like a Sig 556 but I would pass on a Sig 516.

I have a SIG516, it's a nice rifle.  There are nice little features that makes it different besides the piston.  

Cons:

• The piston system is a bit heavier than DI
  • Wolf ammo doesn't cycle properly
  • There are VERY few aftermarket rails to choose from

However, If I knew then, what I know now, I would build my own AR... OR buy the M400 from Steve and slowly upgrade.

Here is mines: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10497187_10152309660302081_5659588934942322082_o.jpg

I too have one and I love it (granted it is my first AR) but I didn't have any of the problems I read about (not cycling. 223, bolt not locking back on last shot). It is definitely heavy compared to other DI guns and the basic irons aren't great but for me the rifle runs great and shoots well. Trigger isn't too bad either and it really is practically clean even after a few hundred rounds.

Sig 516 is a great rifle. i was about to buy one but came across a really good deal and got a PWS upper instead for my piston AR type. I have both DI and piston rifles. Honestly no difference just preference. If u re planning to take 1 -2 classes a year and go plinking , standard basic middle of the road AR type is all u need brother. like HE said spent the cash on the ammo .....