High Exposure

An unloaded handgun is useless when your life is in the line.

The lead Detective's funny name aside, this is why you shouldn't keep any firearm designated for self defense use with an empty chamber.

Violence happens with a quickness. If you have never experienced it you may not be able to comprehend it, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Movies are not real - there is no pregnant pause for dramatic effect while everyone charges their pistols or cocks a hammer before the shooting starts.

You can not intimidate someone intent on committing a violent act, you can not scare someone that has no regard for human life, you can not reason with the unreasonable.

You can prepare and you can cultivate a mindset to win.

Irondale Alabama PD: Woman shot during robbery

Karen Church

Aug 12, 2014 03:59 PM

Irondale police are searching for two suspects after a woman was shot in the chest during a robbery early on Tuesday.

Irondale police say the shooting happened after two men followed the woman and her boyfriend home to Hunter Ridge Apartments from a convenience store in Roebuck.

Irondale Detective Michael Mangina said the two armed men forced the couple out if their car at gunpoint, hoping to get money and the car stereo.

Mangina said the female victim got her unloaded handgun out of her car, but the suspects shot her.

Both suspects are still on the loose and believe to still be armed.

"The only thing we know about them at this point, is they were two black males. One is armed with a handgun, possibly a 9mm," Mangina said.

The other suspect could be armed with a sawed off shotgun.

Police are looking for a turquoise Mercury grand Marquis.

The victim was tranported to the hospital and has undergone surgery. FOX6 News is waiting to learn more about her condition.

If you have any information in the case you are urged to call Irondale Police at 205-956-5990.

Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.

i struggle with this cause i have 2 young ones in the house.  i do not keep one in the chamber, thinking i can rack one in fast and be ready for a threat.

i guess training is they key here and having confidence in your choice of defensive weapon.

and yes, his name is the best!

I always keep on in the chamber around the house and when I'm carrying out of state.

Antimatter, do you carry yours on your person around the house or leave it laying around where the young ones have access to it?

If it's secured on your person, there is no reason you couldn't keep one chambered.

As H.E. said, things can happen very quickly. To think you'd have time to draw, rack the slide, then raise the weapon to a shooting position before harm can come to you might be a little hopeful.

Not trying to be disrespectful here, but H.E. does know what he speaks of.

Not sure what the woman in that story was thinking. It was almost like, "They have guns, so I guess I'm supposed to go for my mine." That's a dubious proposition when someone has a gun pointed at you, even if yours is fully loaded.

That said, I keep one in the chamber in the rare instances when I get to carry in Free America. But at home, I keep the chamber empty, having calculated that the likelihood of the trigger snagging on something and discharging a round is far greater than the extremely unlikely chance of not having sufficient time to rack one in if someone happens to break in.

And you guys must not be Italian, because that detective's name did not seem particularly odd to me. Now, if he had been named Michael Vagina...

Oh, and aren't sawed off shotguns illegal?

I always keep on in the chamber around the house and when I'm carrying out of state.

Antimatter, do you carry yours on your person around the house or leave it laying around where the young ones have access to it?

If it's secured on your person, there is no reason you couldn't keep one chambered.

As H.E. said, things can happen very quickly. To think you'd have time to draw, rack the slide, then raise the weapon to a shooting position before harm can come to you might be a little hopeful.

Not trying to be disrespectful here, but H.E. does know what he speaks of.

for the most part its not in me, but close by in a hidden area.   i do agree when its on me it not an issue, i guess its more when i do not carry it. 

i have to just get more comfortable with it i guess.

I keep a 5 shot revolver for HD. That nasty bitch dog I have will probably kill them first!. Anyone who has been here knows. If I can't take care of business with 5, I guess I will have to club them to death!

For those that carry, always have one in the pipe. Also, safeties suck.

For HD, if it's not on you, that means you're already scrambling to get to it, retrieve it, rack the slide and present (God help you if you're also dealing with an external safety).

Meanwhile the guys that just kicked your door in are coming at your family apace while breaking all 4 rules.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I keep long guns and handguns on each level, loaded and chambered. And if I'm going to be more than a few steps away from them (kitchen, deck etc) or answering the door, a handgun comes with.

If kids are over, then everything gets secured, but remains accessible: quick draw safe for some; locked, but flimsy, closet for others and one on my hip.

This is something I've been meaning to address here for some time.

The responsibility of firearms ownership and still being at the ready.

Safeties suck and that's why I have DAO pistols for defense.

If you have kids around spend the money and get a quick access lock box.

Here's a caution people often over look.... If you have nit wit adults around and have loaded firearms take precautions

^^^Edison sounds like Fort Apache in the Bronx, lol!

I practice all of the time.  I mentor.  An unloaded gun can get you KILLED.  Safeties can be a bad thing if you go all "Deer in the headlights" and crap yer pants!  The thumb safety on a 1911 is second nature to me, so NO worries there.  For that matter so is slip-cocking a single action revolver with EITHER hand or "fanning" it if I need to.  Hell I even fanned during a USPSA Pocket Gun Match.

Being ready to defend yourself is only half the battle.  Being able to actually do it, and WITHOUT A MOMENT'S HESITATION is quite another.  That's where BALLS comes from!

Like Tuco said, "If yer goin' to shoot, then SHOOT, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT"!

^^^Edison sounds like Fort Apache in the Bronx, lol!

lol. It sure isn't.

But stupid drug addicts and wannabe gangsters are found in all kinds of neighborhoods.

I also wear my seat belt driving around town, even though it's not the autobahn. 

Plus (and this is the real point in the OP), it's not whether or not it's likely to happen; it's that IF it does, you're not gonna have time for equipment issues.

Hence, the long guns are pumps and the handguns are revolvers. 

And you're 100% right about mental preparedness.

lol. It sure isn't.

But stupid drug addicts and wannabe gangsters are found in all kinds of neighborhoods.

I also wear my seat belt driving around town, even though it's not the autobahn. 

It's all cool Dude, lol!  Even though some A-Holes drive on Oak Tree Road like it IS the Autobahn, lol!

It never even crossed my mind to carry while at home. I honestly didn't even think whether it's legal or not. It seems a few on here tend to do this on a daily basis. My handgun is currently in a locked carry case on the top shelf of a closet, and a loaded clip. I was even telling my wife that, if we ever got into a situation where I needed to get my gun to protect us, I don't feel I could in time. Which now has brought us into discussing having the gun in a small safe, something we're currently researching. 

On those to points...

1) How common is it that people in NJ actually carry while in their house/on their property? 

2) Something being semi-discussed in another recent thread, but a decent smaller sized/affordable safe for access to 2-3 handguns and other valuables. Nothing too fancy only because I'm not in a permanent residence so I'll hold off for that at a later time. I was going to go with a standard "home" safe, with one shelf, two steel rod lock and digital key pad that I'd bolt to a tall shelving unit. Something easy for me to get into but nothing the kids could and not gonna be an easy task for someone to walk out with. The shelving unit is thick wood and 8ft tall.

I have multiple firearms loaded in my home at all times, no kids. If I do have visiting children happens from time to time everything is unloaded and secured, and I go samurai sword at night instead if need be. I don't carry around the house but I'm never more than a few steps from a ready to go firearm at anytime hidden in plain view throughout my home. When I sleep I have a G19 with one in the pipe and a full magazine in a mattress pocket on my side of the bed, her side has a loaded and chambered G17 in a mattress pocket. There is also a Mossberg 500 HD with pistol grip under the bed loaded. An AR also under the bed with 1000 rounds of ammo and two loaded Pmags. The way my home is laid out makes getting to the second floor bedrooms extremely difficult unless your familiar with the inside of my home in the dark. I have a balcony with an elevated position that I can cover all entrances to my home from. As well as a very loud set of steel spiral stairs (no sneaking up them unless your a ninja) I will hear you coming for sure with a surprise waiting at the top. I live in an area with an extremely low crime rate I'm probably over prepared for my environment, but you can never be too careful or complaint no matter how nice your neighborhood is. If I had kids I would definitely have a bedside electronic instant open safe instead of the mattress holsters, with a condition zero firearm inside.

Having said all that, growing up my entire life my step father always had a loaded rifle in the corner of his bedroom next to his bed. My sister's and I never even looked at it sideways, we knew it was off limits unless he took us out shooting or hunting. Times have changed and i wouldn't take that chance myself.

I have multiple firearms loaded in my home at all times, no kids. If I do have visiting children happens from time to time everything is unloaded and secured, and I go samurai sword at night instead if need be. I don't carry around the house but I'm never more than a few steps from a ready to go firearm at anytime hidden in plain view throughout my home. When I sleep I have a G19 with one in the pipe and a full magazine in a mattress pocket on my side of the bed, her side has a loaded and chambered G17 in a mattress pocket. There is also a Mossberg 500 HD with pistol grip under the bed loaded. An AR also under the bed with 1000 rounds of ammo and two loaded Pmags. The way my home is laid out makes getting to the second floor bedrooms extremely difficult unless your familiar with the inside of my home in the dark. I have a balcony with an elevated position that I can cover all entrances to my home from. As well as a very loud set of steel spiral stairs (no sneaking up them unless your a ninja) I will hear you coming for sure with a surprise waiting at the top. I live in an area with an extremely low crime rate I'm probably over prepared for my environment, but you can never be too careful or complaint no matter how nice your neighborhood is. If I had kids I would definitely have a bedside electronic instant open safe instead of the mattress holsters, with a condition zero firearm inside.

You know my situation, which is why I need to me more cautious. Pretty much going to go with loaded in safe attached to immovable object inside bedroom. I was thinking of in my night stand but the night stand can be carried off where as the shelving unit can't be.

Now once we get to my AR build...then we'll discuss how we'll place that one :p

They make security boxes for long guns. Mount it on the wall in a closet or the floor under the bed. Just get a safe you can open quickly if you need your gun. Ohh and don't ever call a magazine a clip! Thats like nails on a chalkboard to me lol...

They make security boxes for long guns. Mount it on the wall in a closet or the floor under the bed. Just get a safe you can open quickly if you need your gun. Ohh and don't ever call a magazine a clip! Thats like nails on a chalkboard to me lol...

Ohhh I did, didn't I? I usually don't.

I know where you guys are coming from, and you have a point, but..

In OPs cautionary tale, the couple was still in their car, presumably in their driveway, when they were attacked. What I took away from it was,

1) no matter how secure you are in your home, we'd be just as fd as they were in this situation in NJ.

2) tha article assumes they were after money and valuables.. If true the woman escalated the situation by going for her gun (OMG the Antis are right!)

3) if you're going to have a firearm in an environment where quick action could be necessary (car, carry, etc) it should be loaded.

4) if someone has a gun literally pointed at your head it is probably not the best time to go for your weapon.

I used to keep all my guns unloaded in the house. I've since picked up a quick access safe and been much more comfortable with having a loaded pistol around. My 1911 is my go to, cocked and locked with an extra magazine at the ready.

On my recent trip, my ppq was chambered the minute I was able to wear it until it was time to come back home.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk