anactivegrenade

Did my PD screw up my permit extension?

Went to my PD before day-90, and the clerk extended my permit right then and there. He dated the renewal date as the Monday of the following week (which would have been past the expiration date of the original 90 days). So, it looks like it was renewed AFTER it expired, but in fact it wasn't.

Did my PD screw up or am I good to go?

I was told by my PD I could renew expired permits. But instead of another 90 days, it would be however long is left minus the time since expiration. So if I renewed at day 100 since they were issued, I'd have 80 days until I had to get new ones.

Hmm, interesting. Can anyone else verify this?

Hmm, interesting. Can anyone else verify this?

I was told by my PD I could renew expired permits. But instead of another 90 days, it would be however long is left minus the time since expiration. So if I renewed at day 100 since they were issued, I'd have 80 days until I had to get new ones.

This is absolutely correct.

I hate to piss on anyone cheerio's but according to law once the permit has passed the initial

90 day period, it cannot be renewed, it is at that point in-valid.

Now I realize that this has happened before, and will happen  again, but it is up to the discretion

of the FFL that is processing the paper if he will accept it. If it's caught by a NJSP audit, there could

be an issue (if it is caught). If it is caught by the NJSP DRU (Data reduction unit) there could be an issue.

If it were me, I would ask the Local PD to re-date the permit to prevent any "possible" issues in the future

JMO

I hate to piss on anyone cheerio's but according to law once the permit has passed the initial

90 day period, it cannot be renewed, it is at that point in-valid..

WHAT LAW??????

Don't start Paul!

I have had two instances where permits have come in with renewal dates after the

initial 90 days and both times the NJSP said that once the initial 90 days as passed

the permit cannot be renewed.

I'm only trying to save someone the possibility of an issue.

If the OP wants to believe A - o.k.

If the OP wants to believe B - o.k.

I'm only passing on what the NJSP say is law. I don't know what title / chapter it's in

but i would bet you don;t know where it's written that it can be extended after the 90th

day either..............

"N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7 Validity of firearms identification card and permit to purchase a handgun

(a) A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth by law and this subchapter pertaining to an applicant's eligibility. Upon becoming subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this subchapter, the card shall be void and shall be returned to the Superintendent within five days.

(b) A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. In no event shall a permit to purchase a handgun be valid for more than 180 days from the date the permit was originally issued."

Granted the "expiration date" for these statutes as written was in 2012. Downloaded the pdf from the state website.

I brought a permit to my PD on Wednesday the 13th. It expires on this coming Monday the 18th. The detective was very hesitant, saying to me it's too late. I was like uhhh, it's not expired. Then he wanted a very specific reason why I wanted an extension. Then he says Ok, I'll give it to the chief and we'll get back to you.

Now I haven't heard anything yet, and the chief hasn't gotten back to me. It expires on Monday and today is Saturday. Could they potentially come back and tell me it's now expired too bad??? Even though I brought it before the expiration. I'm a little worried about this..I had good plans for that permit, just didn't have the money right now

I brought a permit to my PD on Wednesday the 13th. It expires on this coming Monday the 18th. The detective was very hesitant, saying to me it's too late. I was like uhhh, it's not expired. Then he wanted a very specific reason why I wanted an extension. Then he says Ok, I'll give it to the chief and we'll get back to you.

Now I haven't heard anything yet, and the chief hasn't gotten back to me. It expires on Monday and today is Saturday. Could they potentially come back and tell me it's now expired too bad??? Even though I brought it before the expiration. I'm a little worried about this..I had good plans for that permit, just didn't have the money right now

It is up to the LEA whether or not they want to extend it. Expired or not. Did you put in for more permits at least a month ago?

I can not fathom why people don't apply for permits on a routine basis, even overlapping the new before the permits are even issued. There is no need to wait for the PD to issue new ones, or even extend any. One will always have a permit to purchase in their hand, and it will only cost $64 per year.

I have had two instances where permits have come in with renewal dates after the

initial 90 days and both times the NJSP said that once the initial 90 days as passed

the permit cannot be renewed.

Was this recently, or awhile ago? The last town I lived in was telling me that they always thought they could not renew permits after they were expired, but then the lady working in records went to a seminar (or the officer who handles firearms apps, I don't recall who exactly) run by the NJSP and they told them they could be renewed anytime up to the 180th day - but they are valid for a maximum of 180 days from initial issue.

This was about two years ago. Is it possible the NJSP has had a policy change on this?