gleninjersey

What Do You Want To Pass On To Your Children?

Or if you don't have children, what was passed on to you that you value/has helped you in life. NOTHING MATERIALISTIC. What advice/words of wisdom have helped guide you or do you hope to impart to your children?

1. #1 for me is that money isn't the "be all/end all in life". Yes it is important to be educated and/or hard working and self sufficient. One thing money will not do though is make you happy. Be true to yourself, respect yourself and others and do your best to live a life that makes you happy.

I'll start it off with that......

Already done.  My parents made sure that my brother and I achieved Scouting highest honor, Eagle Scout.  Scouting teaches you skills not found in any class room.  Skill sets that are useful for life.  Skill sets that can be expanded on.  Skills that allow you to do for yourself and not rely on someone.

For my sons, both have achieved that rank.  That and giving back to the community in ways that support the basis of what made this country great.  I am proud to say they both now give back to the community. The oldest is on the town's land use board and head of the Office of Emergency Management.  The younger is a NJ trained firefighter (graduated first in his class), an EMT, and also on the OEM staff.  This in addition to their full time jobs.

This is my family's continuing legacy and I am proud to be an American.  May this county correct its path and return to greatness

Already done.  My parents made sure that my brother and I achieved Scouting highest honor, Eagle Scout.  Scouting teaches you skills not found in any class room.  Skill sets that are useful for life.  Skill sets that can be expanded on.  Skills that allow you to do for yourself and not rely on someone.

For my sons, both have achieved that rank.  That and giving back to the community in ways that support the basis of what made this country great.  I am proud to say they both now give back to the community. The oldest is on the town's land use board and head of the Office of Emergency Management.  The younger is a NJ trained firefighter (graduated first in his class), an EMT, and also on the OEM staff.  This in addition to their full time jobs.

This is my family's continuing legacy and I am proud to be an American.  May this county correct its path and return to greatness

Eagle Dad, Class of 2006 here.  I only have two words for you:  WELL DONE!

Dang, no Eagle Scouts in my house. Two girls, almost 9 and 7. We try to teach them respect for their elders, saying please and thank you, and we say our prayers every night together.

Although neither my wife nor I served in the military, we have friends and family who have. Our girls understand that, and they know to thank, with a handshake and a hug, any man or woman who presents themselves as a veteran.

Congratulations! Another Eagle here. This is a great thread considering my son will be 6 months old tomorrow.

In no particular order:

Work hard. Play hard. Don't do one without the other.

Be a good person.

Do what makes you happy but also pays the bills.

I'm sure there's other stuff but I'm new to parenting so I'm muddling through as I go. My daughter turns two in a couple days.

In no particular order:

Work hard. Play hard. Don't do one without the other.

Be a good person.

Do what makes you happy but also pays the bills.

I'm sure there's other stuff but I'm new to parenting so I'm muddling through as I go. My daughter turns two in a couple days.

Not a parent but work hard play hard is a strong sentiment that ran through me from a young age.

The only one stronger is "your word is your bond. without your word a man is nothing." If people cant trust you, you are lost.

Im young in the grand scheme of things but its sad how many grown men I have met that break their word.

If I say I will do something, its as good as done. Never commit to a deal you can't complete.

My parents came from nothing and built their wealth through hard work, taking risks, and perseverance. They did a great job teaching me from an early age how to be responsible and I am extremely greatful to them.

I missed a big portion of thIs thread, as usual.

Im a scout, from tiger cub through boy scouts. My father was our cubmaster and some of the finest people I met were my scout masters/leaders. It was only through my juvenile defiance I did not file for my eagle badge and it is one of only a few regrets I have.

The Boy Scouts taught me an inumerable amount of skills and I look forward to volunteering my time with my old troop.

"What Do You Want To Pass On To Your Children?"...

The understanding that if they never relinquish their 2nd Amendment rights, they will never have to sacrifice any of their other rights. 

(at least not without a fight)

Plus... learn to change your own damn flat tires. 

1. NJ is a trap. Don't get caught. 

2. Education, education, education. Even if it means learning a trade or going to college, concentrate on advancing yourself. 

3. Respect yourself first, and be true to yourself. Be what YOU want to be, not someone else. I'm coming to grips with this lately.

4. America is YOUR country. You were lucky to be born here. I wasn't. Your mom wasn't. Make the most of it. 

5. Don't forget your heritage. Be proud of it.  However, see #4.

-The importance of a hard days work 

- the knowledge of how to fix things for his or her self (I don't have a kid yet) and do it the right way instead of paying someone to do a half assed job.

- Make your work play, make your play pay, play all day.