Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

NY legal AR-15's have done a 180degree turn

While in NY yesterday I stopped into one of the local Gun stores I used to hang out at when I lived there. I look up at the Black Rifle Wall and I see one AR-15 after the next all with bayonet lugs, Flash hiders, adjustable stocks, ect. At first I thought they were all LE Only or something. Turns out they all had the Magazine permanently installed and were loaded from the top.

I personally rather go with the option below as would most people I assume but the owner said these stocks are hard to come by.

post-5151-140811142114_thumb.jpg

There is also another version that is called the "Spur" grip.

We have used these for AR's that go into NY so there is no pistol grip........

you know, with a shorter (vertically) stock and a low round count mag, that'd make that thing have a really low profile. you could get flat to the ground with that.

The Spur, i got a few for each AR on sale just because.....Anyway I put one on to see how it felt and was a little weird having the 3 fingers "searching" for a purchase. i found a little spongerubber ball and let the fingers sqeeze onto that and it helped but still not the same but you'd get used to it if you had to :( But I am worried having the ball around  as it may be called a constructive accessory....

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=722

One of our vendors sells these  MR2 lock

I'll be installing one on a dedicated lower for NY trips.

So basically we now have break-back ARs? Are you going to neuter the screw and if so whats your perm. mag of choice?

So basically we now have break-back ARs? Are you going to neuter the screw and if so whats your perm. mag of choice?

This will serve as a defense gun on the boat when traveling into NYS.  I'm not even crazy enough to carry a handgun into NYS though on a Documented Vessel it may be perfectly legal.

No the screw will not be neutered and a 10rd mag holding 7 rounds will be used. stock will be pinned in shortest position and the upper will be NJ compliant. This lower will be used for NYS only using an existing NJ compliant upper.

My objective is to have the shortest legal AR legal in NY/NJ.

I'll be limited to 7 rounds but I can make it work.

How do you load an AR from the top?

Push out the back pin with the bolt forward.

Personally, if I'm limited to seven rounds and a magazine that may not be detachable, I sure don't want a 5.56 AR. I would prefer an 870 or SKS. Seven rounds of 7.62 trumps seven rounds of 5.56 and loading is a lot quicker.

Im a bit confused, how do you grip that?

Shooting from the bench is fine. It's a bit unwieldy off hand. It's a lousy compromise but at least I can bring it to my other residence.