Carcano

Emergency Communications

Lil' tid bit. Did you know that when you own property, you own everything down to the earth's core and everything above the surface into the atmosphere?

In light of that, I want to start charging air traffic toll money and taxes or in exchange, they have to give me free air miles! :)

Hello!

The South Jersey Radio Assn (SJRA) meets on the fourth Wednesday of every month (this month, on August 27th) except for November and December, when we meet on the third Wednesday (to avoid the Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays). We meet in Marlton, at the "Gibson House", a community-center located at 535 East Main Street in Marlton (essentially behind the Indian Springs golf driving range) starting at 7:30 pm. See http://sjra.org/basic-page/gibson-house-photo-and-map for additional directions and info.

SJRA is a general-interest amateur radio club. We have members from many professions and with many different interests in amateur radio, including DXing, Contesting, Home-brewing, Special Events, Rag Chewing, Packet, Satellites, ATV, Public Service, etc. You name it, and at least one SJRA member does it...our biggest yearly "event" is Field Day in June, but there are other smaller events throughout the year. For example...right now we're looking at expanding the Club's participation in the NJ QSO Party in October; with a large club station set up in a NJ county with low participation. We'll be setting-up a complete station at a site TBD, and will be looking for set up/take-down help and operators during the event. We also sponsor amateur radio license tests every month on the second Wednesday in West Berlin NJ.

Any additional questions...ask away! I am a past president and current Vice President of the club

Ok thanks I will be at the meeting

Now I need to remember how to program my mobile rig to put the repeater frequency and tone in

im using a yaseu FT-1900

Nice radio :)

Yaesu (Vertex Standard) has been around for years, good quality equipment :)

Do you have a programming cable for it? if not: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010325

That cable is worth the money, saves you from having to enter the freq's and tones manually.

no i don't have the cable i did't know i could program it on the computer 

You can, but if you do not have a laptop you will need a DC power supply to power the radio with for programming.

If you have a laptop, load up the software and bring it out to your car/truck.

i only have a desktop so how can i program it with that as i wont have a way to power it inside 

Look for a used DC power supply on ebay, you will not be transmitting just powering it on so a 3-5 AMP supply should be enough to program it with.

Connect the rig to the DC power supply (might consider getting a second power cable if the power cable you have now is hard wired/not easy to remove) and hook it up to the desktop, load the software and you can program it :)

Here is a used Astron power supply: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRON-RS-4A-Linear-13-8-Volt-DC-3-Amp-IC-Regulated-Power-Supply-/271583616969?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Device_Power_Supplies&hash=item3f3ba51fc9

Are you trying to transmit from the house?  I think I have a supply lying around...

EDIT - If you have any thought of persuing this as a hobby, buy at least a 20-amp DC supply.  Thats enough to power a 100 watt HF transceiver.  A 2 meter mobile rig will be very happy with a 12 amp supply.  A 3-5 amp supply is only good for an 11 meter (CB) transceiver... 

i do have a balcony but not allowed to have antenna i asked i do know there is something that uses the internet to operate but not sure about that i coudl get a handheld if i wanted to operate in the house i do have a handheld but its about 10 years old and has problems so i would need a new one 

i do have a balcony but not allowed to have antenna i asked i do know there is something that uses the internet to operate but not sure about that i coudl get a handheld if i wanted to operate in the house i do have a handheld but its about 10 years old and has problems so i would need a new one 

You might be able to get away with a 2m di-pole or a 2m mobile antenna (black) on the balcony, I've used hamsticks (VHF 2m) from a hotel balcony many times without anyone seeing it...

For a handheld, look into a VX-6r from Yaesu, they go for under $200 used online:

• 2M/70CM Dual Band HT
  • 5 Watts
  • 220Mhz 1.5W
  • Submersible JIS7
  • Received 504kHz-998.99MHz (Cell Blocked)
  • 1500mAh Li-Ion Battery
  • CW Trainer & More!

The receive covers the AM shortwave bands which is nice to have for news, etc.

Also, the online setup is really intended for HF (High Freq)

echolink is probably not worth it on 2 meter though

It depends, a lot of repeaters are linked with it.

I forget but after installing the software you need to validate your call sign and upload a scan of your FCC license (last time I used it was 4 years ago)

It's free and worth a shot :)

W2MC what range do you shoot at when i lived in north jersey i went to EFGA and it was about 40 mins away but now is about 2 hours away i do have current member status there till 2016 but looking for something close and not a lot of mony to join i would love to join cjrpc but that is expensive