Carcano

Emergency Communications

I was able to use my motorola hand held radios on a cruise ship, I was on deck 4 and my son was on deck 7 on the other side of the ship with no problems.  Maybe all the steel acted like an antenna. 

You prob. had UHF FRS/GMRS radios, UHF works better in buildings this is why many commercial users (hotels, for example) operate UHF band equipment.

One radio I keep with me in my truck when heading deep into the woods is a Icom air band transceiver, while legal to own transmitting is illegal unless you are a pilot, ground crew member, etc.

I keep it set on 121.500 Mhz, the International Air Distress (IAD) freq. since if something serious were to happen and I could not raise help via cell phone or over the ham freq's I know the message will get accross on the IAD freq. as it is monitored by most air traffic control towers, FSS services, national air traffic control centers, and other flight and emergency services, plus commercial and private aircraft almost always maintain watch on 121.500 Mhz.

One radio I keep with me in my truck when heading deep into the woods is a Icom air band transceiver, while legal to own transmitting is illegal unless you are a pilot, ground crew member, etc.

I keep it set on 121.500 Mhz, the International Air Distress (IAD) freq. since if something serious were to happen and I could not raise help via cell phone or over the ham freq's I know the message will get accross on the IAD freq. as it is monitored by most air traffic control towers, FSS services, national air traffic control centers, and other flight and emergency services, plus commercial and private aircraft almost always maintain watch on 121.500 Mhz.

None of those ground based radios will hear you unless you are close to them or a repeater.

While some aircraft monitor 121.5 at times, most, at least here in the northeast do not.

Most aircraft have 2 radios and don't dedicate one to 121.5.

In 27 years and 8700 hours of flying, mostly here in the northeast, I've only flown with one company out of many that had a 3rd radio installed and continuously monitored 121.5.

None of those ground based radios will hear you unless you are close to them or a repeater.

While some aircraft monitor 121.5 at times, most, at least here in the northeast do not.

Most aircraft have 2 radios and don't dedicate one to 121.5.

In 27 years and 8700 hours of flying, mostly here in the northeast, I've only flown with one company out of many that had a 3rd radio installed and continuously monitored 121.5.

That's interesting, I know of a few commercial carriers out of PHL and one out of ACY that keep 121.5 on the stack.

In the event of a life or death emergency, I would spin the VFO and see what is active and make a distress call if 121.5 failed.

I also have all VHF USCG freq. in the mobile radios and perform a monthly radio check with someone at USCG in Cape May, also have all VHF non-trunked police and fire freq's for Atlantic and other counties in the truck radio (Motorola Spectra). The cars have a limited 32 channel MaxTrac with mostly Ham and Maritime freq's and of course NOAA freq's.

The good thing is the FCC has ruled that if you are in a true emergency:

1. Section 97.403 states that no provision of the Rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communications in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.
  2. Section 97.405 states that no provision of the Rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance. A sinking ship is a good example. It further states that no provision of the Rules prevents the use by a station, in that exceptional circumstance, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

Normally the only time I or anyone I know has tuned up 121.5 in flight was when an approach controller asked us to to listen for an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)

Not saying no one will hear you, just want you to realize that nobody may be monitoring close enough to hear you.

Normally the only time I or anyone I know has tuned up 121.5 in flight was when an approach controller asked us to to listen for an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter)

Not saying no one will hear you, just want you to realize that nobody may be monitoring close enough to hear you.

Is not 121.xxx usually "ground control" for most airports?   

I got into this after Sandy specifically so I could use HAM radio in emergencies.  I now have a General license.

The Technician test is 35 questions out of a pool of less than 1000 questions if I remember right.  If you just drill with the sample tests enough you can pass the exam.  The exam costs $14.  A General license is a similar exercise with a different pool of questions.

A Baofeng radio will cost less than $50 and you are able to start frustrating yourself with finding what you can actually receive and/or transmit and have heard at the other end.  You'll quickly realize that you either need to get an antenna high enough to solve your problems or work through repeaters or both.  The process of figuring out what works, or doesn't, is much better if you have another HAM to test with. 

Are there any online courses/tests to get certified for free? I looked but I only saw on site training/tests, no online courses.

There are sample tests online, but you must take & pass the test at an exam session. There is no way to take the official test online. This is because the list of questions and answers are published and available online...you need to do SOME studying..

a note on this....when i used to be able to afford to fly a couple times a month, the cessnas i flew all had dual radios in the stacks. i always kept one of the radios tuned to 121.5.

thanks guys for all the replies. it's given me things to think about. i'm mostly looking for portable, easily carried, should the poop ever really hit, that would allow me to contact help, and/or those i care about if necessary.......

a note on this....when i used to be able to afford to fly a couple times a month, the cessnas i flew all had dual radios in the stacks. i always kept one of the radios tuned to 121.5.

I only did around 15 hours (in a 172), had dual stacks and the second was always on 121.5, this was in Jamaica, W.I. not in the US but always had that on the stack this was '09-10

Look guys, NJPilot flies daily. I take his word for it. Y'all can do what you like but when a commercial pilot tells me something...

With the amount of hours he has logged, I will take his word that 121.5 is not monitored like it once was.

Some commercial pilots still monitor it, most don't.

If I ever needed to TX on the air band in an emergency, I would *again* spin the VFO and turn the squelch up and listen for any activity and send the call...

Yes, most airports with control towers usually use 121.6, 121.7, 121.8 and 121.9

Gotta ask, have you ever worked with HF equipment on trans oceanic flights? here are some I remember off the top of my head, may no longer be in use I'll have to give it a listen this week when I have some time:

Yes, most airports with control towers usually use 121.6, 121.7, 121.8 and 121.9

Or fractions within that range.  I believe LAX uses "Ground .75" as evidenced by this YouTube Take off video featuring ATC on Ch. 9. :)

SeaTac seems to use "Ground .7" as with this Video....

122.8 if i recall....at least where i flew out of/

http://www.airnav.com/airport/N14

correction.....i was thinking unicom, as i rarely flew into controlled airspace.

Correct. Unicom is usually, but not always 122.7, 122.9 and 122.

Gotta ask, have you ever worked with HF equipment on trans oceanic flights? here are some I remember off the top of my head, may no longer be in use I'll have to give it a listen this week when I have some time:

I fly helicopters so no trans oceanic flight for me. Those are pretty rare in helos.

I did use HF when I flew in Papua New Guinea. Those radios were used to open SAR flight plans with the gov't located hundreds of miles from where we were flying.

that was almost 15 years ago and I don't remember the frequencies anymore.

Or fractions within that range.  I believe LAX uses "Ground .75" as evidenced by this YouTube Take off video featuring ATC on Ch. 9. :)

SeaTac seems to use "Ground .7" as with this Video....

Correct. That is why I said "usually". There are plenty of airports around here that use different frequencies, but the most common are 121.6, 121.7, 121.8 and 121.9

Carcano, again, I'm not saying that no one will hear your distress call, just not to rely on it.

Here in the congested northeast, one radio is normally on a tower freq, approach freq or local airport traffic freq for the lower flying a/c while the 2nd radio may be on a company freq or picking up an ATIS or AWOS for an airport the aircraft is heading to.

Although I'm currently unemployed, I am doing contract work in the Sikorsky S76, which is what I've been flying for the last 10 years.

This is a video someone posted of me taking off from East 34th Street Heliport in NYC back in '06 or '07

And a Bravo, to boot! :)    When I was an EMT in a previous life, The NJSP had just acquired new Bravos for the medivac functions (i.e. "NorthStar/SouthStar, etc.).

I wonder how many Bravos still fly today (I thnk the S76 might be up to Delta now).

Although I'm currently unemployed, I am doing contract work in the Sikorsky S76, which is what I've been flying for the last 10 years.

This is a video someone posted of me taking off from East 34th Street Heliport in NYC back in '06 or '07

Nice vid of the S76 :)