Jag07

Hand Tools and wood working

So, I've been contemplating delving into another one of the stereotypical manly hobbies...wood working. And not the kind done in front of the computer.  :facepalm:

Bad jokes aside, I was wondering if anyone else was involved in this because I'm looking for a place in Northern Jersey (Bergen County area) that sells quality tools. I may not need a Lie- Nielsen or Veritas but it would be nice to find a place that sells them so I know what quality looks and feels like. 

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. 

KCCO

the emerson tool chest is out ofbusiness  for many years now.i have acarpenters steel clad wood tool chest with brace /brace bits.hand saw and hand saw tooth set tool,wood planes other small tools also.my great uncles tools  from the 40's im guessn. the steel on the wood chest is rusty toast,the inside is clean maybe some light rust on brace bits.interested? park [email protected] $50? 

Force Machinery is CLOSED??? Used to love that place, Moved out of Union 35 years ago. I always buy tools and equip. at garage and estate sales. I bought a milk crate full of chisels and planes for 30.00, last year.

Woodcraft/ amazon/ eBay/ yard sales.

Don't knock old hand tools. My planes were all 50's hand me downs.

And for chisels and planes buy a work sharp tool sharpener!

I've been on the look out for some older ones. I keep hearing they have a better quality to them. I've heard some of the new Stanley planes have an aluminum screw in an iron base that will simply wear out due to it being a softer metal (duh) 

I've been finding it hard to encounter those older tools in the wild. 

I've also heard that about almost any chisel or plane, that you will probably have to sharpen it yourself to get a really good cut or even just a good cut. 

Force Machinery is CLOSED??? Used to love that place, Moved out of Union 35 years ago. I always buy tools and equip. at garage and estate sales. I bought a milk crate full of chisels and planes for 30.00, last year.

Best thing I bought at an estate sale was a Katadyn ceramic water filter for $2. 

Also check out flee markets like Meadowlands or take a trip south to either Collingswood flee market on 33 or Englishtown flee market just south of the race track. Saw some old molding plains at Colingswood this weekend.

Don't forget Columbus flea market. They generally have a large section just for used stuff. I had always seen plenty of hand tools,power tools. It's about an hour+ from morris county depending on how you drive. exit 7 off the NJ pike

I am a full time furniture maker, hand tools are my thing.  To look at quality;  Allentown Woodcraft, Lie Neilson will be at Willards Lumber Nov 14-15. Tools for Working Wood, Brooklyn, bring money you will not leave there with out a purchase.  Vintage is great if you can rehab an old tool (straighten /sharpen saws, tune planes, ect).  I could set you up with a saw, plane and chisel, the hands to use them you will have to supply.  Enjoy

I've been on the look out for some older ones. I keep hearing they have a better quality to them. I've heard some of the new Stanley planes have an aluminum screw in an iron base that will simply wear out due to it being a softer metal (duh)

I've been finding it hard to encounter those older tools in the wild.

I've also heard that about almost any chisel or plane, that you will probably have to sharpen it yourself to get a really good cut or even just a good cut.

A sharp tool is a happy tool. For me it's therapeutic .

Stones will still always give the best edge.

What are you looking to build?

The only thing I would ever buy of festool is their rail saw. But, I bought the makita instead. In some ways it's better.