Stratonick

NJ AK Law / seeing people at the range with 'em anyway....

So i have to ask the same question thats probably been asked numerous times:

If the law states:

AK platform are banned by name (13:54-1.2 Definitions - "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms") in New Jersey.

How are people showing up to the range with rifles of that type? I've read that all AK's need to have the same mods done to them as the AR's, including nothing being marked "AK" on the rifle itself - but even my FFL came back to me with the NJ/AK's are banned, etc. nonsense.

What am i missing? Can i get a firearms store to modify and ship one out to me if i dont use the term "AK" when looking to purchase?

Right, that makes sense....so technically an ak74 would be allowable, or since its designated an AK, that's no good either?

Aside from the Saiga, are there other variants that I could look for sale to NJ?

If possible, I would really like to find something that's already good to go, and ready to be shipped...

Right, that makes sense....so technically an ak74 would be allowable, or since its designated an AK, that's no good either?

Aside from the Saiga, are there other variants that I could look for sale to NJ?

If possible, I would really like to find something that's already good to go, and ready to be shipped...

Now would be a terrible time to buy, unless you like paying inflated prices.

I'm not up on the exact details, but something about the obama administration banning the important of some russian firearms, which would include Saiga rifles. 

As long as it is not stamped "AK-47/M/74" and you aren't shooting full auto (or don't booger up your trigger messing around to make it accidently burst fire) etc. then its okay. I shoot my yugo npap out at fort dix and my buddy has his saiga. Gone to many ranges besides that and no issues what so ever. As long as your gun played by the evil features rules your fine. 

https://www.classicfirearms.com/paprifle-2
This is the exact npap i bought. Great gun with a tapco g2 installed... only problem is that yugo bitch slap from the high comb stock.

All AK Types are legal if they comply with the "substantially identical" statute.

just like all m1 carbine types are legal if they comply?

no offense.. but IMO "ak type" is no different than "m1 carbine type" therefore technically the intention of the law is to ban them.. this is simply not the case in practice..  for some reason as long as "aky type guns comply" the state has looked the other way.. but the intention as illustrated on several occasions with the M1 carbine was to ban all together..

I would like to get something in this style but in .223 so I can share rounds with my AR. Is this something that can be found already assembled, maybe from a forum vendor, or is it diy?

I build an AK in 223 to run with AR mags back some time ago so I could share mags and ammo with the AR15..

msaak.jpg

whats the verdict on this? is it just the evil features game? because for the life of me i cant find any shops by me that have any ak types in stock, but is this because theyre trying to cover their own ass by not selling a "gray" item in nj? or because they cant get them in stock? or is it because of the compliance work that may be needed?

whats the verdict on this? is it just the evil features game? because for the life of me i cant find any shops by me that have any ak types in stock, but is this because theyre trying to cover their own ass by not selling a "gray" item in nj? or because they cant get them in stock? or is it because of the compliance work that may be needed?

I see them in shops all over the place here. Maybe there's no demand for that rifle where your shopping. They aren't in any "gray area" there are many AK platform guns that are NJ compliant and 100% legal to be sold and owned. The only ones that are banned are those with a receiver with a stamping that actually says "AK47". And obviously the NJ evil features requirements. None of the guns you will find for sale in NJ will have that roll mark. If you do find one that actually says "AK47" on the actual gun, don't buy it lol.

I see them in shops all over the place here. Maybe there's no demand for that rifle where your shopping. They aren't in any "gray area" there are many AK platform guns that are NJ compliant and 100% legal to be sold and owned. The only ones that are banned are those with a receiver with a stamping that actually says "AK47". And obviously the NJ evil features requirements. None of the guns you will find for sale in NJ will have that roll mark. If you do find one that actually says "AK47" on the actual gun, don't buy it lol.

Roger, thanks for clarifying

I remember a few years ago Ramsey outdoor used to sell ak types but I was there a few weeks ago asking about them and was told they stopped selling them because they can't make them compliant

Roger, thanks for clarifying

I remember a few years ago Ramsey outdoor used to sell ak types but I was there a few weeks ago asking about them and was told they stopped selling them because they can't make them compliant

Which ramsay outdoor? Do you remember who you spoke to? My buddy is the gun department manager of Succasunna. Funny they would tell you that, I bought a WASR from him personally lol.

Which ramsay outdoor? Do you remember who you spoke to? My buddy is the gun department manager of Succasunna. Funny they would tell you that, I bought a WASR from him personally lol.

The one in Ramsey, I'm not sure who I spoke too but he said they don't sell them but they would transfer one if I asked

The one in Ramsey, I'm not sure who I spoke too but he said they don't sell them but they would transfer one if I asked

I know for a fact RTSP has some behind the counter, also Hackettstown Guns and Ammo usually has one or two, Walt usually buys them by the crate. JT custom Guns on this forum can definitely get you one, or Momouth Arms. All are vendors on this forum. I assume your out in Bergen county someplace?

I know for a fact RTSP has some behind the counter, also Hackettstown Guns and Ammo usually has one or two, Walt usually buys them by the crate. JT custom Guns on this forum can definitely get you one, or Momouth Arms. All are vendors on this forum. I assume your out in Bergen county someplace?

Yea I'm from Bergen county, sucks becauses there's only a handful of ranges that are within an hour drive