PD2K

Caliber of Your Home Self Defense Handgun

9mm, also keep a 10" bowie knife incase "they" need one

That is funny! Years ago the cops told my dad in NY they had no issue if he kept a gun In the house. They suggested that if he ever shot anyone that before he called them that he should do two things. First if shot outside drag them in the house. Second in case they were not armed put a kitchen knife in their hands. BTW this was in 1970.

For a long time it was .40 S&W in the Glock 23 but also 12ga. which is what I'd probably be grabbing- I still have and use the Glock but have bought a dedicated home defense 9mm in my Sig P226 MK25 (and am carrying a 9mm S&W M&P Shield just about everywhere, every day)...but still have 12ga. shotguns in various stashed locations in the house for use in the defense.

Why would anybody choose a handgun for home defense?

I can see wearing a handgun all day, or using a handgun to answer the door, but as a defense against a home invasion? Handguns are not death rays. Rifles and shotguns are death rays.

I use something black and bad with a hole drilled where it aint supposed to be drilled in NJ and a 60 round Surefire mag of tracer. I love tracer. F the drapes. I have insurance.

I have the location of the heating oil tank sketched on the walls with chalk in the various rooms so I don't hit it. I want to be environmentally friendly.

Why would anybody choose a handgun for home defense?

I can see wearing a handgun all day, or using a handgun to answer the door, but as a defense against a home invasion? Handguns are not death rays. Rifles and shotguns are death rays.

I use something black and bad with a hole drilled where it aint supposed to be drilled in NJ and a 60 round Surefire mag of tracer. I love tracer. F the drapes. I have insurance.

I have the location of the heating oil tank sketched on the walls with chalk in the various rooms so I don't hit it. I want to be environmentally friendly.

Dude not debating the effectiveness of hand guns vs long guns. Just was curious what caliber hand gun people preferred for the nightstand.