Russell

Adios NJ, moving to Phoenix! Any advice?

I'm finally escaping NJ/NYC and moving to Phoenix in a few months!  Very excited about it, but I know nothing about the area, never even been inside the state :huh:.  Anyone know anything about Phoenix and have any advice on where I should look to live?  I'll be working in northern Phoenix in the Deer Valley area.  Looking for ideas on good neighborhoods for a single 30 year old and not too bad a commute to work.  Planning to rent at first until I get more of a feel for the area, I hope rent's a lot cheaper than NYC!

Also any tips on moving cross-country would be very helpful; never done a long distance move like this before.  And any other advice or tips on the area (besides that it's f'ing hot)?

Sadly I heard there's not a single decent FFL out there :jester:

We don't need no stinkin' FFL in Phoenix.

There are massive numbers of SMG competitions out there.

1. Buy a full auto M11/9. Now. Over the kitchen table of an AZ resident. Not out of state (takes longer and sometimes a second stamp) and preferably not from an FFL ($)

2. Buy two cans now. One for the SMG and one for your .22 handgun or your favorite handgun.

3. Get to know Richard Lage, be his friend, compete with him at subgun matches, and buy all his shit:

http://www.max-11.com/

4. Get on UZITalk.com. Like a third of the people on there are SOTs, many from back in the day, and they know where the bodies are buried. It's a high signal to noise ratio website, not a barfcom. Be polite, ask questions, learn, a lot of the people are in AZ and you will meet them at subgun matches.

If you follow these instructions you are going to have a wild ride and you are going to meet people that invented the shit we drool over or worked with the dead people when they did it.

I envy you.

Congrats. Love AZ. Partial to the Sedona area.

Pm Paul about places to live.

Scottsdale is nice, but can be pricey.

Good luck.

Sedona is also a little pricey as well (and a little "artsy fartsy"). I liked Cottonwood, myself. Close by Sedona but a little less expensive  And (again) for Jack Webb fans, Cottonwood has some significance.   Watch this episode of Dragnet 1967  It was the first "out of state" Road Trip the team made in this series set... :D

mipafox, what do one of those full auto SMGs run?  I hadn't considered something like that before, but suppressors are high on my to do list once I get out there.  I shoot USPSA and steel challenge now; I'm sure I'll get into 3 gun there too.

:smoke:

$2800 (steal) $3000-$3800 (deal) $4000-$4500 retail.

Get to damn work and post Want To Buy (WTB) adds on subguns.com an uzitalk and everywhere else. There are people that want or need to sell but don't want to put up advertisements because of the internet d-bag vs. machinegun factor. They are trying to sell local and talking to dealers to find buyers, using word of mouth. They are also looking at local WTB ads.

Wow....first, congrats.  Its a big change, and I think you'll like it.  I am married to a Connecticut Yankee, who is as far south as she goes, so I doubt I'll ever go out there permanently.

I have family out in AZ who did what you're about to do - NJ to AZ - back in the '70s.  We used to go out there fairly frequently, but I haven't been out there in several years.  A few thoughts/things that I remember:

-July and particularly August are HOT.  We might joke about "mad dogs & englishmen" being the only ones who go out in the mid-day sun...there it's for real.  No one goes out in the middle of the day during the summer.

-When you park your car in the sun....leave your windows partially open a crack.  Heat and pressure build-up have been known to cause car windows to explode.

-Phoenix is (or was) a city under permanent construction.  They used to joke that they had a number at their public works you could call if you found a stretch that wasn't being built/rebuilt...they'd send a crew over.

-Phoenix has some beautiful areas...but it is still a city.  There are some rough areas, and they do have significant problems with street gangs.  Wish I could tell you the areas, but I don't know myself.  PK90 might have a better report.

-In spite of the above; people are noticeably friendlier and more 'open' there than here.

-Distances seem to have less meaning there than here.  Out there; hopping in the car and driving 100-200 miles seemed to mean a lot less than it does to us here in the east coast.

-Sedona is beautiful...my grandparents lived there for many years, but it has become very artsy/fartsy.  My grandfather lamented that the "crystal crazies" (his term for the new agers) had taken-over the town back in the mid-80's.  Up there its high desert...HOT in the summer and it can get COLD at night or in the winter.  In December, you could sit in the sun and be perfectly warm, but in the shade you'd freeze without a coat/jacket.  Heading further north - like Flagstaff - the winter snow can shut the town down for a day or two and there are ski areas.  My point is DON'T ditch the cold-weather clothes...you might not need them in Phoenix, but you will need them elsewhere in the state.

-The overall standards and requirements for the Public School system are somewhat lower.  I remember my relatives were not too impressed with them.

Congrats. I am making the move to AZ in a week. I can't wait to get free. I'm sure you feel the same. As a single man, I would look to Tempe (ASU area) and Scottsdale for the ladies (think about drive times). Unlike most cities downtown Phoenix is not very populor for nightlife. Good luck and enjoy!

Congrats!   I love Arizona.     When you get some time, visit Sedona and the surrounding areas.  Here's a Panorama I took from the Sedona airport when I was out there the last time.  http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/west/Pans/sedona-low.jpg

I've only been in Phoenix a few times, mostly passing through, so I don't have a good feel for that particular area, but I love the wide open space.    The heat is something you get used to.

As for moving, this is the time to de-clutter.    I moved from Ohio to NJ at 28 and while not quite as far, it's the same idea.    Moving companies are expensive, you're better off selling or giving away your stuff(big stuff like beds and couches) and just buying new when you get there.     If your stuff isn't that big, You can pack it all in boxes and ship it, or even pack it onto pallets and have the pallets shipped.    You can get freight rates on pallets for $500 per pallet or less.   One rental truck will run 2k+ and while complicated to ship freight, it's something to look into.  

Congrats. Love AZ. Partial to the Sedona area.

Sedona is also a little pricey as well (and a little "artsy fartsy"). I liked Cottonwood, myself. Close by Sedona but a little less expensive :D

Yes, thanks for your input and opinion.

Note I said "Sedona area". I've been to Cottonwood. It doesn't have the beauty of Sedona. It also isn't computing distance to the Phoenix area. It wasn't a suggestion for him to live there, just stating we are "partial" to it. He could visit it.

I'll touch on a few things that may not have been brought up.

- You can open or conceal carry without a license

- There are over 2000 FFLs in AZ, but only one you need

- The heat won't bother you if you have an indoor job

- Work days are 6AM-2PM generally

- The Canadian Snowbirds (people) make for quiet neighborhoods in summer

- Real estate taxes, and car/homeowners insurance are half of NJ

- Driver's license will be valid until age 65 for $10 total

- Car registration cost is based on model and age

- Sales tax is high (5.6% State, 0.7% County, ?.?% City)

- Plenty to do within one hour drive in any direction

- Look in Anthem for residence or along 303 or 101 Loop

- Loop 303 and I-10 interchange are opening soon

- Moving expense was about $5K for me (26' u-haul, gas, tolls)

- 2500 miles, 35 hours driving, take a friend

- Sell most of your stuff prior, buy new when ready, even gun safes.

I see you found the AZ HTF on arfcom. They should help also. Call me later if you want.

Having too many local matches is what I'd call a good problem to have :).

mipafox, thanks for the info.  Will look into it; although, there are a lot of other things on my to buy list once I get to AZ.  :B:):

Get the MG first. The price is going up $500 a year. There are now 5.56 uppers for them from one company and another company is about to release them, both of which take M16 mags. There is also an AK47 upper in production. Full auto.

I bet by the end of 2015 the price will have made a jump of $2K to $3K.

The other guns you want will always be around.

Wow....first, congrats.  Its a big change, and I think you'll like it.  I am married to a Connecticut Yankee, who is as far south as she goes, so I doubt I'll ever go out there permanently.

I have family out in AZ who did what you're about to do - NJ to AZ - back in the '70s.  We used to go out there fairly frequently, but I haven't been out there in several years.  A few thoughts/things that I remember:

-July and particularly August are HOT.  We might joke about "mad dogs & englishmen" being the only ones who go out in the mid-day sun...there it's for real.  No one goes out in the middle of the day during the summer.

-When you park your car in the sun....leave your windows partially open a crack.  Heat and pressure build-up have been known to cause car windows to explode.

-Phoenix is (or was) a city under permanent construction.  They used to joke that they had a number at their public works you could call if you found a stretch that wasn't being built/rebuilt...they'd send a crew over.

-Phoenix has some beautiful areas...but it is still a city.  There are some rough areas, and they do have significant problems with street gangs.  Wish I could tell you the areas, but I don't know myself.  PK90 might have a better report.

-In spite of the above; people are noticeably friendlier and more 'open' there than here.

-Distances seem to have less meaning there than here.  Out there; hopping in the car and driving 100-200 miles seemed to mean a lot less than it does to us here in the east coast.

-Sedona is beautiful...my grandparents lived there for many years, but it has become very artsy/fartsy.  My grandfather lamented that the "crystal crazies" (his term for the new agers) had taken-over the town back in the mid-80's.  Up there its high desert...HOT in the summer and it can get COLD at night or in the winter.  In December, you could sit in the sun and be perfectly warm, but in the shade you'd freeze without a coat/jacket.  Heading further north - like Flagstaff - the winter snow can shut the town down for a day or two and there are ski areas.  My point is DON'T ditch the cold-weather clothes...you might not need them in Phoenix, but you will need them elsewhere in the state.

-The overall standards and requirements for the Public School system are somewhat lower.  I remember my relatives were not too impressed with them.

Heat and pressure causing windows to blow out? Lived in PHX for years, never ever heard of this. Based on construction of car inevitable air leakage pretty sure it's nearly impossible. I have heard of toddlers falling on their butts and ending up with 2nd degree burns from the scorching heat of the pavement. 

I recall "south phx" being the gang area but nowadays I think that stuff is pretty much all over. I don't think you have anything to worry about if you don't go looking for trouble.

When it rains, keep your eyes open on the roads. Those folks can't drive for sh*t in bad weather! lol

I was surprised that the first rain after a long period does not bring up the oil on the roads and make them slick like rain in NJ does. Then I realized that the oil gets burned off everyday and nothing is left on the road.

We are now having rain everyday. The washes and rivers now have water in them. I am sure it will drive the critters and creatures up to the higher ground.

The Haboobs (dust storms) seem to come from the South and head up the East Valley. If you get caught in one, pull well off the road and turn out your lights. Visibility is 20 feet if lucky. It will pass in 10 minutes.

I was surprised that the first rain after a long period does not bring up the oil on the roads and make them slick like rain in NJ does.

That's because it's a dry rain.

The Haboobs (dust storms) seem to come from the South and head up the East Valley.

I thought Haboobs owned hotel chains?

PK90 wrote "The Haboobs (dust storms) seem to come from the South and head up the East Valley. "

This is true but I have to correct the spelling. It's Haboobies!

No kidding about turning your lights OFF. People will try to follow your parked car and hit you. Crazy, but it happens out there with the low visibility.