Sign in to follow this  
BigBlueQ

Mahwah fid process for a buddy

So a friend of mine, a former Marine, applied for an fid in Mahwah. I was one of his references, handed it in person the day after I got it. That was back in March. As far as I know the other references were also returned in a timely manner.

Here it is, the end of August, and he hasn't been notified yet. I've heard that Mahwah is usually pretty good at getting those out "relatively" quickly.

Think he should start calling?

1. They could have f**ked up mental health check process - e.g. forgot to send a request to a county adjuster's office, lost paperwork from the adjuster's office, adjuster's office itself could have lost something (this happened to me when I applied for FID for the first time)

2. They could have never received a letter from one of the references (or both) despite it being sent in a timely manner ... or they can pretend they never received it (happened to me the second time)

3. They could have been unable to reach references over the phone (this should be actually read as "We tried once, they didn't answer... and we never really tried again") ... well, this is happening to me now with my P2Ps :)))

4. (come up with any reasonable or even extraordinary excuse here - more unrealistic it will be - the better)

I learned my lesson the hard way - never "abandon" the process for more than a month (two months max if you somehow feel uncomfortable / too busy to check it every month) - if something got stuck there is a great chance you will never know about this unless you specifically follow your case up...

P.S. A couple of days ago a resident of a town 2 miles from me told me that their PD issues P2Ps in less than a week and never contacts references for P2Ps if this person already has a FID. Last permit took this person THREE DAYS to get it and apparently it is a NORM there, not some exception. And he is not a LEO / Military / Government etc., just a usual guy with his own small business...

I wanted to smash him hard in an outbreak of severe jealousy and butthurt, but he's a very big guy :))))

P.S. A couple of days ago a resident of a town 2 miles from me told me that their PD issues P2Ps in less than a week and never contacts references for P2Ps if this person already has a FID. Last permit took this person THREE DAYS to get it and apparently it is a NORM there, not some exception. And he is not a LEO / Military / Government etc., just a usual guy with his own small business...

I wanted to smash him hard in an outbreak of severe jealousy and butthurt, but he's a very big guy :))))

And that town is....?

P.S. A couple of days ago a resident of a town 2 miles from me told me that their PD issues P2Ps in less than a week and never contacts references for P2Ps if this person already has a FID. Last permit took this person THREE DAYS to get it and apparently it is a NORM there, not some exception.

Just on the off chance that this may happen to someone reading this, you need to be aware that the permit cannot be used until seven days from the date of application have elapsed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

And that town is....?

He lives in Belleville :-)

Just on the off chance that this may happen to someone reading this, you need to be aware that the permit cannot be used until seven days from the date of application have elapsed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, given I am close to 4th month milestone in my wait for P2Ps I guess this is not relevant to me at least while I live in Bloomfield :))

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I guess I'll backdate my permit applications. I heard my town is quick as well. ;)

Adios,

Pizza Bob

May that be our biggest problem.......

A couple of days ago a resident of a town 2 miles from me told me that their PD issues P2Ps in less than a week and never contacts references for P2Ps if this person already has a FID.

I live in Franklin Lake.. Right next to Mahwah... My original FID (15 years ago) took about a month. I get P2P in about 10 day. That do call references..

Not bad...

I live in Franklin Lake.. Right next to Mahwah... My original FID (15 years ago) took about a month. I get P2P in about 10 day. That do call references..

Not bad...

What bothers me most is that apparently factors like geographic proximity, county, median household income etc. etc. almost play no role in the process timing (at least I don't see it yet)

As I mentioned before, Belleville, Bloomfield and, for example, West Caldwell are all in Essex County and are 10-15 minutes max from each other - nonetheless difference in processing times is tremendous - I heard West Caldwell is even worse than Bloomfield at times...