pbkid6974

so how hard is it to buld an ak reciever?

i've been thinking and since the government doesnt want me to have one i need to have an ak style gun. 7.62x39 seems to be cheap and plentiful. so what is involved with building from a reciever? ive seen parts kits with barrels headspaced for like $400. is it worth it or not really?

it's not AR easy.  you pretty much need a jig and a press at a minimum.  everything is riveted together with rivets, so you need to ream the holes so the rivets fit in nice, place it in the jig, and pump on the press to flatten it down.  if you have the tools, it's relatively easy from what i've seen.  

Building a receiver and building an AK are two different things. 

Building a receiver is when you bend a flat piece of sheet metal into a receiver. It looks easy but it seems to be precise and methodical. Building an AK is taking an already manufactured receiver and building it on top of that, similar in fashion to an AR but you are actually building an AK, not just assembling an AR.

I'd suggest buying a NDS receiver and building it off that. There are plenty of sites and forums that show step-by-step how to do it.

I d buy out of the box unless you have a propensity for tinkering.

Or do what this guy did. Go to Vermont :). ....and buy a shovel

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!

i do like to tinker but i doubt my attempt at a shovel ak would turn out 1/4 as good as his. i'm thinking about starting from an 80% receiver and welding drilling and cutting it at a friends house in PA. my main concerns would be putting the front trunnion and barrel in and welding the rails. anyone have an idea how difficult that is?

I bent and welded the rails into my ak74 receiver in MD. It was at an AK build party so I had a lot of people I could ask for help. I havent gotten past welding the rails in but with a spot welder it was easy. You will need a front trunion in order to place the rail correctly.

Populating and head spacing a virgin barrel is at least half the work for a build. If you buy a kit with that part done, and get a receiver with the holes pre-drilled, then you just need to rivet the parts onto the receiver and press the barrel back into the trunnion.

Easy? Call it 4 to 6 hours to do a head spaced kit.

Some folks with talent might rig up some inexpensive and ingenius tooling, but the easiest way to go would be a 12 ton shop press and a set of jigs from a-k builder. Or with a head spaced kit, you could probably get away with the bolt cutter attachments method.

The cost of tooling and the miscellaneous parts (rivets, and 922 compliance) need to be considered. You'll either borrow some for a one off build or find yourself with some specialized equipment that creates an addiction.

What about a "screw build"? seems if you remove the rivets from the equation, the build gets a lot easier and less costly for tools. Im dipping my toes in this water and at first glance Im seeing a complete receiver will run ~$140 with FFL transfer and NICS and I haven't found a parts kit with an installed barrel for less than $420.......A complete rifle would cost the same of not less in total. 

Now the experience in building it is worth something Ill agree. 

What about a "screw build"? seems if you remove the rivets from the equation, the build gets a lot easier and less costly for tools. Im dipping my toes in this water and at first glance Im seeing a complete receiver will run ~$140 with FFL transfer and NICS and I haven't found a parts kit with an installed barrel for less than $420.......A complete rifle would cost the same of not less in total. 

Now the experience in building it is worth something Ill agree. 

i've heard from multiple places (most notably rifle dynamics) that not only the rivets, but material used for the rivets is an integral part of the function of the AK due to their ability to stretch.  have you considered one of their build parties?  its $$$$ but looks like a ton of fun and you'll probably get a better product than doing it yourself blind.

If you invest in the proper tools for riveting and head spacing, you can build a really really nice gun. In nj you cant build a receiver so you need to order one from nodak spud for 100 bucks or so.

Forget about screw builds, rivet it. Also you can tig weld it together, but the jury is still out on that one.

If you invest in the proper tools for riveting and head spacing, you can build a really really nice gun. In nj you cant build a receiver so you need to order one from nodak spud for 100 bucks or so.

Forget about screw builds, rivet it. Also you can tig weld it together, but the jury is still out on that one.

thats why god made bridges and friends. bent receivers that just need holes drilled and rails welded can be had for half that. i figure tools aren't specific to the build so they are an investment.

back when parts kits came with the original barrel and sold for $100+/- it made more sense to buy the jigs and build your own. There are some places that will rent or load tools and jigs. Best to find an AK build party and attend that. Everyone brings something and all the tools will be available to use.

back when parts kits came with the original barrel and sold for $100+/- it made more sense to buy the jigs and build your own. There are some places that will rent or load tools and jigs. Best to find an AK build party and attend that. Everyone brings something and all the tools will be available to use.

where would i go about finding one of these build parties?

where would i go about finding one of these build parties?

I havent looked in a while, but look over at ar15.com under the AK build it yourself forum, or in the PA hometown forum. You may also want to look over at thats the best AK site out there. If you dont see any, you might want to post asking about one.

I havent looked in a while, but look over at ar15.com under the AK build it yourself forum, or in the PA hometown forum. You may also want to look over at thats the best AK site out there. If you dont see any, you might want to post asking about one.

whats the best ak site?

If you build from an 80% there are 2 types of 80% receivers, flats with holes and pre-bent with no holes.  To bend a flat you'll need a bending jig and a press.  For a pre-bent you'll need just a template, drill bits of the proper size and some time.  With both types you'll need to heat treat the fire control holes and the ejector tip of the rail at a minimum.   You can buy heat treated pre-bent receivers but these are going to be much harder to drill.  You can spot weld the rails in or you can even try plug welding them with a MIG or TIG. 

Unless you are planning on building a large number of these the $100 for serialized receiver will definitely be cheaper. Of course once you build one you will probably want to build several more.  :)

If you cruise the akfiles (or whatever your preferred AK board is) you should be able to pick up some of the tools used and then resell them when you're done to recoup most of your cash.  If you or your friend are handy you can also build some of the riveting jigs, barrel press tool etc. from scrap for a relatively low price. 

I've built several rifles including a Romanian RPK and its been a blast to learn about how to build and operate them though I can almost guarantee it will cost more than you think.