Joe P.

Would an RO class benefit a new shooter?

I am a relatively new shooter , i have participated in some matches at my local club and just competed(i use that term loosely) in my first USPSA match.  Does it make sense for me to take an RO class my local club is offering in the near future?   I plan on taking some training courses to be a better shooter, but i like the idea of knowing all safety aspects of the games.  I have no experience with MSR's or  much else , but i plan on getting something soon. (3-gun sounds good to me).  Will this class help me to design stages and look for issues with stages?   I value the input of the members here.

Thanks 

Beretta 96a1 

I'd say that any kind of formal training would benefit a new shooter. I've been meaning to take an RO class myself. Not because I want to become an RO at a range but just to have the knowledge.

I have not taken the USPSA RO course but have done the IDPA SO course and got certified - it was well worth it.  You will understand the competition so much better as you will have a much firmer grasp on all the rules.  Knowledge is always good, go out and get some :)

I'd say that any kind of formal training would benefit a new shooter. I've been meaning to take an RO class myself. Not because I want to become an RO at a range but just to have the knowledge.

yea, same here.  i want to RO myself better and eventually get my son involved and pass on proper instruction.

I have not taken the USPSA RO course but have done the IDPA SO course and got certified - it was well worth it.  You will understand the competition so much better as you will have a much firmer grasp on all the rules.  Knowledge is always good, go out and get some :)

thanks Howard,  i'm gonna go get some

I think we're talking about TWO completely different kinds of training:  The NRA RSO training which would benefit your instruction of your son and other complete Newbies, AND the USPSA NROI class given by USPSA Certified Instructors.  BOTH programs are excellent, but the NROI certification teaches you a lot about the USPSA Rules and Terms, Stage Design parameters, etc., whereas the NRA RSO training teaches more basic SAFETY and even procedures for dealing with a First Aid call to 911 that's NOT gun-related (heart attack, fainting, severe abrasions, bee sting w/ anaphalactic shock, etc.).  Both programs are highly rated.

The more training you have the better able you are to deal with the responsibility of being a SAFE shooter!

Dave

NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

I think we're talking about TWO completely different kinds of training:  The NRA RSO training which would benefit your instruction of your son and other complete Newbies, AND the USPSA NROI class given by USPSA Certified Instructors.  BOTH programs are excellent, but the NROI certification teaches you a lot about the USPSA Rules and Terms, Stage Design parameters, etc., whereas the NRA RSO training teaches more basic SAFETY and even procedures for dealing with a First Aid call to 911 that's NOT gun-related (heart attack, fainting, severe abrasions, bee sting w/ anaphalactic shock, etc.).  Both programs are highly rated.

The more training you have the better able you are to deal with the responsibility of being a SAFE shooter!

Dave

NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

i see , good points Dave .. for now i plan on taking the USPSA NROI class myself soon to improve on all the points you made regarding Rules , Stage Design parameters. My son is 14, but don't feel he is quite there yet to assume the responsibilities that come with this sport, but soon. i.e. I also held my older kids back a year from getting their drivers license .  But when i feel he's ready we will both take NRA RSO.

thanks Dave

The USPSA Ro class isn't going to make you a better shooter at uspsa.  It might give you a better understanding of the safety rules, but that is something you should know even if you aren't a RO.  That said, there really isn't a reason to not take the class

Understood, I was more wondering if the class covers actual stage design and correct positioning of targets. Hoping to contribute to local matches. Always asking for stages. I'm all about safety first

Thanks

They do get a little into that, at least they did in my class a while back, but nothing much.  Best way to learn how to design stages is design some, send them to someone that has been doing it for a while, get some feedback, then send them into the matches, helping build stages is also a great way to learn.