MosinRob

Started a new hobby

I recently Started blacksmithing. I have a couple friends in the hobby and decided I wanted to try. Built my own forge out of material that were around. Total cost was about $30. Bought a anvil a little later. I've made a couple things so far. I took a railroad spike and just put a curl on it and then took one and flattened the end. Just to warm up. Next I made a couple lantern holders. Then I made a RR spike knife. Still needs a little work but mostly done. I'm working on a small tomahawk for my son now. Just thought I'd share.

EA5EA76B-6EEE-470B-82C8-E39144C4636A_zps

B916FA44-8FA9-4CF3-8EE2-FFAA53F481EA_zps

371630AB-4D00-498C-A852-C5041CACBC6D_zps
E4F45BD5-EE6C-4DE8-9C21-872DB5B9FC5D_zps
EEEF7D81-8CAA-4125-9D41-993482F38A60_zps

F736951B-3AD8-4CDB-B0D2-360B122B3B84_zps

E414C52D-C2A6-43EF-8A5F-D64B1FEE7009_zps
86F69EAC-4D3C-4196-933D-6510568DAB0D_zps
E53FC941-F7C3-43A8-8C0E-52D9BAA9BC68_zps

719C86A6-8F1A-4C20-90A2-52EA83C81D95_zps

I'm quite jealous. Your forge looks interesting for sure. I guess that hand crank looking thing is an air pump?

Blacksmithing is something I messed around in highschool metal shop and unfortunately didn't continue. We had a small propane or maybe natgas forge that I would block the vents on to try to get it hotter. I would up making a bunch of stuff, screwdriver shafts, punches, and my favorite was a really nice crowbar made from 1" hex stock. The bend on it I cheated on though since I used a bender, an oxy/actelyene torch, and the Canadian girl in class to help me bend it. I loved using the torch because I was able to get it BRIGHT orange quickly. The forge only got it to a low-medium orange. 

Try making nails from 1" flatstock if you have a good anvil. Doesn't take long and it is pretty fun.

I'm quite jealous. Your forge looks interesting for sure. I guess that hand crank looking thing is an air pump?

Blacksmithing is something I messed around in highschool metal shop and unfortunately didn't continue. We had a small propane or maybe natgas forge that I would block the vents on to try to get it hotter. I would up making a bunch of stuff, screwdriver shafts, punches, and my favorite was a really nice crowbar made from 1" hex stock. The bend on it I cheated on though since I used a bender, an oxy/actelyene torch, and the Canadian girl in class to help me bend it. I loved using the torch because I was able to get it BRIGHT orange quickly. The forge only got it to a low-medium orange. 

Try making nails from 1" flatstock if you have a good anvil. Doesn't take long and it is pretty fun.

Yes its a hand crank air blower. Old school. Gas forge's don't get as hot a soft coal forges. I can go from a cold forge light some newsprint, cover with coal and in about 4 min I'm= at forge welding temperature. That's between 1600-2000 degree's Fahrenheit. I've made nails before. I have a cheater tool for it too. I just got a bunch of files and lawn mower blades to I'm going to make some knives and tomahawks

Have you considered going electric? I mean it is a little redneck but people have had success using hairdryers, shopvacs, and the like.

What are you using for fuel? Straight anthracite?