rlrock

3 permits coming - help with deciding

Hello everyone.

I have 3 permits coming this week. I currently have a Ruger MkIII .22 and an EAA Tanfolglio Witness Match 9mm.

I have decided on getting a Sig 226 elite 9mm as my next pistol, but am looking at others for the other 2 permits.

I was thinking about the Springfield XD M 5.25 inch or the Walther PPQ 5 inch. All of these pistols will be for competition -- steel plate match or other competition.

I have long fingers and need a thicker grip. The Sig fits perfectly, while the Witness is a little small for the grip.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. All have to be 9mm.

The CZ is out since the Witness is a CZ clone.

Should I use one of the permits for a revolver? The S&W are nice in .357.

Curious to here what you might be thinking.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe the new HK VP9?  Just a thought.  Supposedly that new Arsenal Strike One is suppose to be out this month or next.  

I have my eyes set on that.  

Revolver is a nice choice and I'd say go for it with at least one of your permits.  Totally different shooting experience and a 

nice new trigger to learn discipline on.  

Let us know what you decide.

You will need to try out any pistol yourself. What feels great for one person could be terrible for another.

Between the PPQ and XD, there is no comparison...go for the PPQ. It's one of the more highly regarded polymer striker fired pistols you can get today.

Ruger GP for the revolver.  Personally hate the Sig trigger (You may be a trooper).  Decide for yourself.  I posted the similar " Have three permits" "HELP ME!!" type post and got destroyed.  "But do what you want"  "Don't listen to anyone!" "Blah Blah Blah"..Ill tell you that I was a 1911 lover and a Glock hater and realized the Browning Hi-Power was that most amazing weapon Ive ever held.  I do also own a Zev  .. So I can't talk.  Buy what you love!  or what you think you love!  Who Cares Anyway.  It is your money.  Wait..I just contradicted myself.???  

1911 in 9mm. Once I started using 1911, the triggers on all my other stuff just don't compare.

For the EAA, aren't there grips you can get to make then wider so that it fits in your hand better?

I'd get  a striker-fired handgun... Glock or M&P in whatever caliber you want... Glock 23 w/ 9mm conversion barrel would be my choice, and then I would get a .357 revolver, either a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686.  I might check out the new Sig striker-fired handgun as well, if you like Sigs.

If money is no object that's one thing but if you'll need to save a little somewhere, the Sig SP2022 in 9mm is a nice gun. (At least the one I got 7 years ago is). Real solid shooter and not too heavy (polymer frame with hammer and decocker). Came with two 15 rd mags and maybe best of all for you, two grips. My hands are fairly large but I only use the smaller of the two.

They're selling new for under $500.

A 1911 is a wonderful pistol, and I know you want to stay with 9, but if you go 45 1911 for a fun gun, you'll wonder why you were stuck on 9mm.

Check out the Stoeger Cougar 8000 in 9mm...due to the rotating barrel there is very little recoil so re-acquisition of your target is quicker, fairly beefy grip, SA/DA, alloy frame -  no plastic, originally made by Beretta so it uses Beretta parts and mags, budget priced at ~$350-$400, will eat just about any ammo you feed it.