Howard

We huskies survived!

We survived the bear "attack" yesterday.  I (sasha) was smart enough to run away, but Roxy (on the left) just slowly walked away and went up to the deck where we are hiding under a table now.  Please excuse the quality, but our dad only had an iPhone handy to shoot this with :)

15118696891_6f412d4f3f_b_d.jpg

Pretty dogs, was anyone around when the bear came around other than the dogs?  I would broke out whatever bear stopping gun was closest (would a 5.56 stop a bear or just piss it off?)

According to the show Discovery Channel aired today, yes. I forget the name of the show but it was about US Marshalls going after wanted people up in Alaska. The narrator said they have to be very careful because most people up there have guns. A commonly owned gun he said they have is the high powered AR15 that will stop a Grizzly in his tracks with one shot......

According to the show Discovery Channel aired today, yes. I forget the name of the show but it was about US Marshalls going after wanted people up in Alaska. The narrator said they have to be very careful because most people up there have guns. A commonly owned gun he said they have is the high powered AR15 that will stop a Grizzly in his tracks with one shot......

Isn't that the same channel that has predicted the world would end several times already....?

Someone killed a bear a few years ago in Denville with a .22, so yeah .223 or 5.56 would kill a bear. But probably not instantly. I killed one with a .50 cal muzzle loader During hunting season, and it ran for a while before it dropped dead with a hole in his liver and lung. A bow and arrow will also kill a bear. Some idiot in Hackettstown did it last year because he claimed it was attacking his dog. He was charged as well.

My advice is if you are going to kill one illegally (outside your home not during bear season as a licensed Hunter in a legal hunting spot) I highly recommend using a shotgun with slugs. That way when the conservation officer is writing up your charges he cant get you for killing the bear with a weapon not approved for bear hunting. It will be one less charge you will be facing.

Someone killed a bear a few years ago in Denville with a .22, so yeah .223 or 5.56 would kill a bear. But probably not instantly. I killed one with a .50 cal muzzle loader During hunting season, and it ran for a while before it dropped dead with a hole in his liver and lung. A bow and arrow will also kill a bear. Some idiot in Hackettstown did it last year because he claimed it was attacking his dog. He was charged as well. My advice is if you are going to kill one illegally (outside your home not during bear season as a licensed Hunter in a legal hunting spot) I highly recommend using a shotgun with slugs. That way when the conservation officer is writing up your charges he cant get you for killing the bear with a weapon not approved for bear hunting. It will be one less charge you will be facing.

I guess the question is more what will stop a charging bear rather than what could kill one.  Sure if you put a .22 through the eye into the brain it would probably kill and stop the bear - but what are the odds of making that shot.  Same goes for a .223 as it is a very small projectile.  I asked a cop a number of years ago why he was not going to shoot a bear that was on a neighbor's deck a number of years ago and he said because his 9mm probably would not even go through the thick skin and would likely just piss off the bear.  That is why I grabbed the .45 rather than a 9mm.  After thinking about this (after the fact) I might have been better with the .357 magnum revolver - but you don't always think things out logically in the panic of the moment.  Also, the 9mm and .45cal were loaded, the revolver and the AR-15 were not.

We survived the bear "attack" yesterday.  I (sasha) was smart enough to run away, but Roxy (on the left) just slowly walked away and went up to the deck where we are hiding under a table now.  Please excuse the quality, but our dad only had an iPhone handy to shoot this with :)

A question for those of you who know a little about pedigree dogs and dog breeding... and the "politics" contained therein.  <_<

I was talking with my next door neighbor last night as she was walking the family's new male puppy (some kind of "spaniel" or something). The dog has a "sister" but was not with them that night. The sister dog is at my neighbor's mom's house nearby. The reason being, our male friend was recovering from "that special surgical procedure..." :shok:   Dang.... "shut down before he could start up..."  :D

She went on to say that it was a requirement of the breeder that he be "fixed," before the breeder would grant full ownership to my neighbor.  I thought that curious and unfair, until it dawned on me that this was the breeder's way of keeping the breed "pure," and ensuring that no one else but them get to breed purebreds and make money from it.

Seriously?  Is this how it works?   If that's the case, then if I ever get the opportunity to adopt,  I hope I can catch one at a shelter or pound, etc., *before* they get "fixed," and screw the breeders.... Unless, of course, they (shelters, etc.) also require the same...  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Many breeder make this a requirement of the sale, but not all.  Their logic is that if they own a certain line they don't want anyone else to be able to make money from that line. Thus, the ones that they don't think will be good show dogs they sell as pets but have this stipulation in the sale.

A question for those of you who know a little about pedigree dogs and dog breeding... and the "politics" contained therein. <_<

I was talking with my next door neighbor last night as she was walking the family's new male puppy (some kind of "spaniel" or something). The dog has a "sister" but was not with them that night. The sister dog is at my neighbor's mom's house nearby. The reason being, our male friend was recovering from "that special surgical procedure..." :shok: Dang.... "shut down before he could start up..." :D

She went on to say that it was a requirement of the breeder that he be "fixed," before the breeder would grant full ownership to my neighbor. I thought that curious and unfair, until it dawned on me that this was the breeder's way of keeping the breed "pure," and ensuring that no one else but them get to breed purebreds and make money from it.

Seriously? Is this how it works? If that's the case, then if I ever get the opportunity to adopt, I hope I can catch one at a shelter or pound, etc., *before* they get "fixed," and screw the breeders.... Unless, of course, they (shelters, etc.) also require the same... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think most shelters spay and neuter to control the population.

I think most shelters spay and neuter to control the population.

Oh, I know... but I'm not sure I agree with that practice, from a "freedom and rights" perspective.  While I realize populations (of  both dogs and humans) are getting well out of control, I still believe it should be the individual's own choice to "pass/not pass on their DNA."   I would not want that decided for me, or any pets that I ever own. It's my job then as pet owner to ensure that any "DNA passing" is done in a "controlled" environment and not "out in the street."

A question for those of you who know a little about pedigree dogs and dog breeding... and the "politics" contained therein.  <_<

I was talking with my next door neighbor last night as she was walking the family's new male puppy (some kind of "spaniel" or something). The dog has a "sister" but was not with them that night. The sister dog is at my neighbor's mom's house nearby. The reason being, our male friend was recovering from "that special surgical procedure..." :shok:   Dang.... "shut down before he could start up..."  :D

She went on to say that it was a requirement of the breeder that he be "fixed," before the breeder would grant full ownership to my neighbor.  I thought that curious and unfair, until it dawned on me that this was the breeder's way of keeping the breed "pure," and ensuring that no one else but them get to breed purebreds and make money from it.

Seriously?  Is this how it works?   If that's the case, then if I ever get the opportunity to adopt,  I hope I can catch one at a shelter or pound, etc., *before* they get "fixed," and screw the breeders.... Unless, of course, they (shelters, etc.) also require the same...  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Many breeder make this a requirement of the sale, but not all.  Their logic is that if they own a certain line they don't want anyone else to be able to make money from that line. Thus, the ones that they don't think will be good show dogs they sell as pets but have this stipulation in the sale.

Priority #1 for a reputable breeder is to improve the breed.  A reputable breeder will test the dam and sire for known issues with the breed such as displasyia, eye problems, neurological problems, temperament issues, and countless others.  A lot of time and effort is put into the selection process to find a suitable breeding pair that "should" produce the desired traits in the breeding.  Additionally, many breeds, such as the breed that I own (see my avatar) only show champions are bred.  So additional time, effort, and considerable expense is put into taking the dogs all over the country to shows, paying show handlers, and entrance fees.  So when a reputable breeder insists that a dog or bitch be spayed or neutered, it is because they don't want an accidental or careless breeding to be associated with the line of dogs that they have put their blood sweat and tears into.  

Priority #1 for a reputable breeder is to improve the breed.  A reputable breeder will test the dam and sire for known issues with the breed such as displasyia, eye problems, neurological problems, temperament issues, and countless others.  A lot of time and effort is put into the selection process to find a suitable breeding pair that "should" produce the desired traits in the breeding.  Additionally, many breeds, such as the breed that I own (see my avatar) only show champions are bred.  So additional time, effort, and considerable expense is put into taking the dogs all over the country to shows, paying show handlers, and entrance fees.  So when a reputable breeder insists that a dog or bitch be spayed or neutered, it is because they don't want an accidental or careless breeding to be associated with the line of dogs that they have put their blood sweat and tears into.  

I don't need a show champion.    Just a dog I can love and take care of. If I ever get the chance, I'll stick with a shelter or privately arranged adoption. Right now, my schedule's too :crazy: to keep a dog on one.  But, maybe someday...

I don't need a show champion.    Just a dog I can love and take care of. If I ever get the chance, I'll stick with a shelter or privately arranged adoption. Right now, my schedule's too :crazy: to keep a dog on one.  But, maybe someday...

That's a great option, there are too many shelter dogs in need of a home.  I was replying to why breeders want their animals spayed or neutered, that's all.