tommyfeds

What do you shoot....

...at?

What kind of targets are you shooting? I joined CJRPC just last month and Im looking for some good ideas........and some of the bad ones you may have had as well, lol. I have made the standard target holder on the webpage which worked out great for paper on the 200 yard range. I have a Do-All steel "Spin Cycle" target on a stand for handgun I have brought to the pits and Im looking for something I to hang steel from on the 200 yard. I have searched Amazon and Ebay and found some pre-made setups and am just wondering what you guys are using? I found these neat "joints" at http://www.laststands.com/ in which you supply the rebar for legs and cross bar and the joints hold them all together. Seems like a good idea and rebar is pretty darn cheap. I am open to buying a complete setup or Im considering drilling a couple holes in the steel plate I have to hang from something. 

I may drill holes in the silhouette on either "shoulder" to hang from a tall stand, but what stand is what Im trying to figure out. How tall, what to make it out of and what to hang it with.

Thanks all for reading, looking forward to some ideas to put holes in,

Tom

post-5759-138280641208_thumb.jpg

...at?

What kind of targets are you shooting? I joined CJRPC just last month and Im looking for some good ideas........and some of the bad ones you may have had as well, lol. I have made the standard target holder on the webpage which worked out great for paper on the 200 yard range. I have a Do-All steel "Spin Cycle" target on a stand for handgun I have brought to the pits and Im looking for something I to hang steel from on the 200 yard. I have searched Amazon and Ebay and found some pre-made setups and am just wondering what you guys are using? I found these neat "joints" at http://www.laststands.com/ in which you supply the rebar for legs and cross bar and the joints hold them all together. Seems like a good idea and rebar is pretty darn cheap. I am open to buying a complete setup or Im considering drilling a couple holes in the steel plate I have to hang from something. 

I may drill holes in the silhouette on either "shoulder" to hang from a tall stand, but what stand is what Im trying to figure out. How tall, what to make it out of and what to hang it with.

Thanks all for reading, looking forward to some ideas to put holes in,

Tom

I had been going for my Winchester quals, so basically AP-2 paper targets at 15ft, or AP-1 at 30ft..

I have one of these for clays.......... http://www.tandemkross.com/Pigeon-Hold--Clay-Pigeon-Holder-Target--9-Capacity_p_22.html

screwed it to two left over strips from regular target from Ft Dix

I have put thousands of rounds of .22 through it and love it, TONS of fun! Was great at Ft Dix but I guess I cant use it at CJ now :-/

For longer range shooting I use this: http://mgmtargets.com/auto-poppers-sup-reg-sup/auto-popper-sup-reg-sup-colt-speed-plate?cPath=40&

It is a 6" for the circle, which at 300yards means it is a 2MOA target that that isn't bad, It is too low to shoot it anywhere by against the back berm, but you could build yourself a stand out of 4x4 chunks for putting it closer. I also use it at OB at 100 yards for off hand shooting. 

Beyond that, I'll use paper targets with printed targets for zero and ammo checking, but for "close practice" at 100 yards off hand and for the longer range shots from various position that auto-popper is awesome. 

My thoughts were to either build a stand for this........... http://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Body-Target-30-06/dp/B004MXF0HO

Or pull the plate and drill holes to hang. Hanging seems to be the easier of the two options and probably lighter weight to lug down range. Im not sure how I would build a stand that would hold up to being shot at.............Im also not sure how easy its going to be to drill through it :-/

So I just used the google and drilling a hole is not going to work, lol. 

Anyone have a plasma cutter?..........whatever that is?

Im looking for something I to hang steel from on the 200 yard

Go to the garden center at Lowes or Home Depot.  Ask the sales folks for a Shepard's Hook

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=garden+shepherd+hook&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527197260&ref=pd_sl_4248ldm5v6_e

It's not steal but fun to shoot at and watch'em pop. It's got to be a little thick cardboard like 1/4 inch so they don't fall out.

78BD6819-4394-4667-A222-7E7254E5F6E0_zps

9A28517A-53AD-41B6-BFBF-5126AC8EEA6A_zps

Clays are definately forbidden anyplace but the shotgun ranges at CJRPC.  If a board member were to come by and see this I am sure it would lead to an invitation to the board meeting.

I can see why.  Just look at the mess it leaves behind.  I simply hang steel plates from shephard hooks available at Lowes.  I heat the ends and bend them around so the steel is facing the shooter.  Works great out at the 200 yard line and you don't have to worry if your bullets are impacting the back burm because there is nowhere other than that for them to go from there.

This also makes the targets easily portable.

I have one of these for clays.......... http://www.tandemkross.com/Pigeon-Hold--Clay-Pigeon-Holder-Target--9-Capacity_p_22.html

screwed it to two left over strips from regular target from Ft Dix

I have put thousands of rounds of .22 through it and love it, TONS of fun! Was great at Ft Dix but I guess I cant use it at CJ now :-/

Thanks for posting this link. I just ordered 2. I plan on setting A cardboard Bread/roll box under the stand I will make. Then just carry it to the dumpster and dump the pieces.

Thanks for posting this link. I just ordered 2. I plan on setting A cardboard Bread/roll box under the stand I will make. Then just carry it to the dumpster and dump the pieces.

Just a warning..If yhey see you with clays on the range they will make you stop box underneath or not.  It gives everyone else the impression that it is OK.

Posted Image

So this is what I ended up with.......made the legs to fit in the steel holder things on the 200 yard range. The rest is electrical conduit and connectors from the electrical aisle at the ole depot. Picked up a 10 inch plate from the target man on eBay and hung from some chain.

The whole thing brakes down to what you see and reconnects and tightens with some set screws. I am a little concerned about the weight of that plate, lol. Once it starts swinging I'm hoping it will not take the whole thing down! But at this time I'm only shooting .223 at it. I'm thinking an 8 or even 6 inch plate would have been better, Hehe.

I'm hoping to find out tomorrow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

10 inch plate will be good at the 300 on the High Power range. How tall is that it seems really tall to me but i could be nuts 

72 inches to the middle of the plate.........the whole thing is kinda tall though, that chain is close to 16 inches.

I say its too big now, but once I put it at 200 I may have to retract that statement for a while until my shooting ability catches up to my forum prowess LOL. My only "high power" rifle is an AR.........is that even high power? for the 300?

Just a warning..If yhey see you with clays on the range they will make you stop box underneath or not.  It gives everyone else the impression that it is OK.

Thanks for the warning. That will be usefull for guys at the range you belong to.

Moot point for me as these are being used at our range by many, Although it helps that the majority of members all self police and maintain our ranges where I belong.