zoid

What kind of caliber guy are you?

I have .22lr, 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, .357sig, .38spl, .357mag and .44mag - all handgun.  Didn't plan it, just kept buying what I liked and here's where I ended up.  A side benefit is I am always able to fine some ammo, even when the crunch hit, so range time wasn't limited.

No real favorites except I don't shoot much .22lr or .357sig.

I don't buy based on caliber but I seem to like guns with common ones.  Would probably avoid something odd since I like to shoot everything I have, and not being able to get ammo for it would sort of limit that. 

I have an air rifle (.22, 1200 fps), .22lr (pistol, revolver, rifle), .380 (9x17), Makarov (9x18), .38 special/.357 magnum (two revolvers), 7.62x54r (5 mosins), and a 12-gauge. 

I'm thinking of migrating to 9mm but I must be honest: In this state, why except for fun? The Mak, of which I have two, and the SP101 and GP100 are probably all I need in case Bubba breaks down my bedroom door. BTW, we're going on 4000 rounds through those guns (I keep track) with not a single failure of any kind. You expect that from a revolver (although my S&W 617 had problems with some .22 shorts), but the Maks have been outstanding, and incredibly accurate in my hands.

If you want a practical, cheap, inexpensive to own, utterly reliable handgun get something that shoots the Makarov cartridge. Caliber fairies please start your own thread, and don't forget to mention how often you vacuum your car and the preferred hand for turning off the main valve on a propane tank, which I never do. 

For me, I don't see the need to have multiple handguns of the same caliber. IMHO what's the use of owning 3 9mm's...unless you have multiple family members who shoot. But hey, to each their own.

Handguns I have: .22, 9mm, and 10mm. I mostly shoot the 9mm at the range and 10mm for the bedside.

For me, I don't see the need to have multiple handguns of the same caliber. IMHO what's the use of owning 3 9mm's...unless you have multiple family members who shoot. 

I've got 4 38/357s. Each is different enough from the others to provide a different shooting experience at the range. 

Plus I prefer to have my go to handguns available in different areas of the house.

Calibers are like tools in the tool box. You have different size screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets, etc.

I'd say 9mm is the phillips head screw driver then.  Pretty much does most things and you will always reach for it. 

Seems to me that we've done this before. The thread was started in the Handguns Forum, but I see a lot of people listing long arms and shotguns too. I'll play...

Handguns - 15 different calibers

Long Arms & Shotguns - 16 different calibers / gauges 

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That's some variety right there.  Probably are one of those guys with a wall mounted spice rack in your kitchen with all kinds of crazy stuff.

For me, I don't see the need to have multiple handguns of the same caliber. IMHO what's the use of owning 3 9mm's...unless you have multiple family members who shoot. But hey, to each their own.

Handguns I have: .22, 9mm, and 10mm. I mostly shoot the 9mm at the range and 10mm for the bedside.

The .22lr platform is quite diverse. Shooting my S&W 617, Buckmark, and rifle are three different experiences. I sometimes bring only those three guns to the range. My CZ82 is very different from my E. German Makarov. The former has a side mag release and 12 rounds but very heavy push on my fingers; the German Mak is 8 rounds, bottom mag release, and smooth as butter. I would carry either gun if I were permitted. When shooting .357s my Ruger SP101 is small, concealable, but harder to shoot than the GP 100, which is larger, more accurate (in my hands), but less concealable. I like the fact that I can play with different platforms. 

I get your point though.

.22lr, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38spc, .357mag, .44Mag, .410, 20g, 12g, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .308, .300 WinMag, 7mm, 5.56mm, .223, .35Rem, .50 S&W Mag, .38cal black powder .50cal black powder.

That's what I have now. I may get into 10mm next, I'm into variety I guess.

My pistol calibers are....

9mm (Primary)

.40 (for when the ammo scares happen, .40 still seems gettable)

.45 (I love shooting .45.  Wish the ammo was cheaper)

.22lr (for truly focusing on accurate shooting)

There's what I buy and what I shoot.

I think at the moment I have stuff in .22 lr, .308, .444, .223/5.56, 9mm, .40, .45, .357 magnum and 12ga.

But the majority of my stuff is .22, 40, .223 and 12 ga. That's what I keep in inventory in quantity as it offers me the most flexibility in competition and generally guides my purchase choices these days unless it's something cool and not in my preferred calibers.

The biggest drawback to having that many calibers? Storing all the ammo!

I only have five calibers... and keeping my ammo stored and organized can be quite fun.

Ammo boxes and ammo boxes, sorted by caliber. Make sure I have enough on hand in case I can't find any, and I usually buy by the case when I can, especially the cheap stuff like 9mm, 12ga, and .22 when I can find it.

I agree in principle, but you can make the same argument about different calibers. Why have a 9x17 when you have a 9x18? or 9x19?

To me the SP101 and GP100 are completely different guns. If da man ever lets me carry in .357/.38sp it will be the SP, but the GP is much more pleasant to shoot at the range. My E. German Mak is more accurate than my CZ82 but the latter holds 12 rounds vs. 8. Also, huge difference between a .22 pistol and .22 revolver, not to mention a .22 bolt action rifle.

No, not a caliber debate.  Enough of those already.  

The question is more do you like to stick with one particular caliber?  Or do you like to change it up?

How many different calibers do you guys run?

Primary:  9mm  (P226 and Shield 9mm).

Secondary:  .45acp (Para Expert and SW "Pro-Series" SW1911).

Tertiary:   .22LR (Ruger 22/45 Lite) - only for training my niece/nephew (but my niece uses the 9mm's anyway) :D

Shotgun:   12G #8 target load 2.75"

I like to keep as similar items as possible and right now my collection is small.

9mm, .45, 762x39, 12ga, 30-06, and the oddball 7.7japanese

I want to eventually get a cz 82 so we can add 9mm mak to the list one day.