supranatural

Best Route down to Florida with firearms in car

Having planned a vacation in the Keys and then Daytona Beach, my family and I were originally planning to fly down.  But, we have a new puppy (12 week old German Shepherd) and the wife wants to take him with us (it was one of my birthday gifts to her)...so I ended up renting pet friendly condos and we are going to drive.  Not looking forward to the drive but with my Utah and Florida non resident CCW permits, I can take some of my guns with us.  However, I am thinking it would be best to avoid Maryland and DC altogether and was wondering if someone else has either driven down to Florida from here and if they avoided those 2 states, or if it's not a big deal (bearing in mind the guy that was stopped by MD police last year and had his vehicle ransacked searching for a firearm that wasn't there)?  Any suggestions or opinions?  I'm thinking mainly of bringing my Sig p229 both for some fun shooting down there and as protection for my family in case of any trouble (i.e., rest stop in the middle of the night although we will avoid that if at all possible).

Just pack em the trunk in the no-no states and drive....  I have done it so many times, never an issue.

As far as the route.... either 95 south of course, I use the beltway 495 around DC.....

I like Rt81 personally just to avoid the Baltimore DC corridor just for avoiding traffic....  then you can cut back across to Rt95 using many of the interstates that bridge 81 and 95....

Dont worry.... follow the laws, wont be an issue....

I would just use 95. Taking 81 adds a few hours to the trip.

I like 81.  It's slightly more interesting than 95 - but maybe only because I've done 95 more often.  If you're trip would have you coming into Baltimore / DC during morning rush hour, 81 doesn't add much as you avoid the 15 mile stand-still entering the beltways. 

But Griz is right, if you just want to get there as fast as possible, 95 stinks as the best option but it is the best option.

You mentioned MD and DC.  Don't forget that SC doesn't recognize other state's permits.  I think you can keep a loaded firearm in a closed glove box or center console in SC without a permit but you can't carry there.

If you want different and not add a lot of time take 13 through DE and MD into VA down the Eastern Shore and over the bridge tunnel. Eliminates DC and minimizes time in MD. You would find people on the Eastern Shore more gun friendly and the bridge tunnel is different. The kids might find it neat.

Myself, from Warren County, I go;

1. I-95 S - through to Del.1 (I go via the PA Tpk. NE Extension)
  2. Del. 1 (pass Cabela's in Christina and shop there a bit :D )
  3. Del 896 -->  US 301.
  4. US 301 S (Enter MD on Easter Shore) 
  5. Merge with US 50 (US 301/50)  Takes you across the Chesapeake Bay  Bridge.
  6. Continue on US50 after Bridge, and  merge onto the Cap. Beltway (I-495) S
  7. Follow the Beltway south and west. Cross over to VA.
  8. Catch I-95 South again, and then keep going..... :D

Just avoid the the tunnels in Baltimore......  Lots of Scruitiny and ALPRs...

I do this trip a lot. I take 95 all the way and use the beltway of there is traffic. My advice is to leave at 8-9pm. You end up missing a ton of traffic. You need to be moving though to avoid construction traffic. Check DE, MD traffic for construction.

Oh and unless you're using one of Bel's high end radar detectors, lock the RD up in the trunk in VA.

I've done the 95 route all the way down. No issues.

I've stopped in VA and removed my firearm from my trunk to my person.

SC does recognize other state's permits, but just for residents, so just upholster and place in glovebox until GA.

It is legal to have a loaded firearm in the glovebox or center console box if you have a CCW.

The 81, 77, 25, 95 corridor adds less than an hour if starting in Morristown.  Easily made up by averting the Balt-Wash corridor that can add hours to travel in traffic. Just 60 miles add on

+1000

I use this way every time I travel to Fla. I avoid the beltway every chance I can..

I don't know why everyone is so concerned with DC "traffic".  The trick to avoiding it is when you leave and when you get there.  If you leave central Jersey by 7:00 am, you're in Richmond VA. in approx. 5 hours (12:00 Noon) since it's only 300 miles.  Stop for fuel and food and keep going to at least the southern end of No. Carolina.  Switch Drivers or bunk for the night.  What will make it hard is all of the pee stops (kids and the puppy).

Not so long ago I used to drive 1,100 miles in a STRAIGHT SHOT across Rt. 80 to where my son lived in Iowa.  Last time I made the trip I crossed the Mississippi River just after dusk and waived to Les Baer Customs as I went past LeClaire, IA.  Up at 5:00, on the road by 6:00 (starting at the mouth of the Raritan Bay) and made Eastern Ohio by 1:00 pm (FIRST stop for gas and restroom).  Only stopped for pee call and bought food and fuel only when I had to pee.  Arrived 17.5 hours later at 10:30 pm Central time, getting thru the Chicago area just prior to rush hour.  Averaged 62.857 MPH just keeping-up with traffic (flyin' low-to-the-ground).  So as I was pumping gas or using the restroom I was GOING almost 63 MPH.........

I did this trip enough so that I had a semi-planned menu with my favorite places to stop.  First time I did it I called AAA and ordered a "Trip-Tick", which came complete with listings of construction projects, distance between fuel stops, and approx. total elapsed travel time.  I always "beat" the elapsed time.  But then I was by myself......

Have FUN on the trip and bring some CD's with YOUR favorite groups, since ya need to keep awake on a long-ass trip!

Dave

Ransacking vehicles on 95 in MD is a fairly common thing. A man driving with his wife, kids and new puppy should be ok though. 81 can be a good road but it is a truck road. Two lanes of FedEX freight trucks driving side by side at the same speed for miles and miles and miles. Can be frustrating if you like to drive at the speed limit or higher.

I make this drive pretty often...I do it straight through. I leave around 7-8pm to avoid traffic. I always go Rt 55 to Rt 40 in Elmer/Woodstown then turn onto 295, go over DMB, merge into 95, and straight shot down from there.  Gun(s) in trunk through NJ/DE/MD...then on my hip the rest of the way(except SC since they don't have FL non-res recipiprocity for CCW.).  I don't bother with 495...it's kind of pointless to do at 10-11pm. 

I can usually make it to the FL border(Yulee area) in roughly 11-12 hours.    Stop only for gas/bathroom/snacks/drinks/check car.  I feel like getting out of NJ takes the longest :lol:  Tolls through DE/MD are pretty brutal anymore too. 

Just pack em the trunk in the no-no states and drive....  I have done it so many times, never an issue.

As far as the route.... either 95 south of course, I use the beltway 495 around DC.....

I like Rt81 personally just to avoid the Baltimore DC corridor just for avoiding traffic....  then you can cut back across to Rt95 using many of the interstates that bridge 81 and 95....

Dont worry.... follow the laws, wont be an issue....

Would locking my Sigs in their manufacturers hard case be considered acceptable to police as being locked?  And what do people do about locking up ammunition?

I stick to the 81 corridor for two reasons.  My departure time is not contingent on traffic.  Puppies and kids have to have a bio brake at the most inopertune times.  And that 'tard of a state called Maryland does data mining on every thing they can.  I would not be surprised if they already know we all have CCWs from UT and FL.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/01/16/driving-through-maryland-how-the-lawful-florida-gun-owner-was-targeted-hint-maryland-coordination-and-analysis-center/

FOPA (Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act) requires guns to be locked in the trunk or in vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered by FOPA.

For FOPA to apply, you must be transporting across state lines from a place where it is legal for you to possess and carry to a place where it is legal for you to possess and carry.

Many interpret that to mean from our home to a free state is OK.  Some claim that "place" means "state" so since we can't carry in NJ, we aren't ever covered by FOPA.  I guess that would depend on what judge you get.

It is legal to have a loaded firearm in the glovebox or center console box if you have a CCW.

For SC you don't need a ccw for a loaded gun in your glove box or console.

Everyone also forgot another reason to take 81 to 77. Only one toll!

The 81, 77, 25 26, 95 corridor adds less than an hour if starting in Morristown.  Easily made up by averting the Balt-Wash corridor that can add hours to travel in traffic. Just 60 miles add on

Congrats! You have convinced me to try this route.  I will overnight in the Charlotte area.  I like the fact that it minimizes time in MD and avoids  bridges, tunnels, etc. :D

I would do that. You are going to Florida. That's a long way. If there is going to be a 4 hour traffic delay (I've sat in 8 hour delays) it will be in MD or the beltway. Or they may pull you over and toss your car and throw you in jail for having a gun in your trunk.

A 1 hour detour on a 15-20 hour trip seems reasonable to me.

Congrats! You have convinced me to try this route.  I will overnight in the Charlotte area.  I like the fact that it minimizes time in MD and avoids  bridges, tunnels, etc. :D

Have a good safe trip. The farther I stay away from Obamaville, the better I feel. Only areas I find have increased traffic are Harrisburg PA, Charlotte, NC ( I use western beltway), and Jacksonville, FL ( I use eastern beltway) areas.  I travel to Delray Beach, FL and find that I might save time over fighting the Philadelphia to DC corridor. I use gas buddy to map out the best places to refill whether I need it or not.  Saves a few without any deviation in the route.

Have a good safe trip. The farther I stay away from Obamaville, the better I feel. Only areas I find have increased traffic are Harrisburg PA, Charlotte, NC ( I use western beltway), and Jacksonville, FL ( I use eastern beltway) areas.  I travel to Delray Beach, FL and find that I might save time over fighting the Philadelphia to DC corridor. I use gas buddy to map out the best places to refill whether I need it or not.  Saves a few without any deviation in the route.

Yep, already got my gaddbuddy on.... :D

From I-95, I turn onto I-10 W from the Jacksonville beltway and head towards the Lake City area.

the key to driving anywhere is when you leave. i've driven all the way to mississippi on via 81 and all the way to miami via 95 multiple times. leave right after dinner when the evening rush hour is just winding down. then you'll have at least 12 hours of clear open roads before the next rush. just load up on snacks redbull and coffee and water. i find that if i keep a fuller bladder i can usually stay awake longer.