Sign in to follow this  
Nac

Accuracy International AT

So I am intrested in an Accuracy International AT. I know it is a fairly new platform does anybody have one? Used one? Have an opinion on one? I all ready have a Remington 700P with a McMillan Stock in a .308

I have been eying the AT up myself but I dont need it right now with all the other irons on the fire. Cant go wrong with the AI reputation and its a great platform. Plus, the price is very attractive compared to other AI offerings. Here is 21 pages to read up on the AT system...

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/230371-official-accuracy-international-first-look.html

If at all possible, try and shoot one before you buy it. I lusted after an AIAW for a few years. I loved the looks and the performance reviews were top end. Good friends who owned them raved about them and so I was sure it would be the perfect choice for my next stick. Right before I ordered mine, I finally got the chance to shoot a friend's. I wanted to love it...I wanted to feel something on a cellular level when I finally got it in hand. I didn't. The craftsmanship was less then I expected. The plastic panels felt cheap in hand, looked worse with casting lines, casting flash and the like, and also aligned poorly on the aluminum frame. The rifle felt narrow and tall, making it feel uncomfortable and less stable, in a variety of shooting positions. Worst of all for me, it had a very distracting tuning fork ring when shooting it. I thought it might just be that one rifle and tried two others with a similar experience. Others love the system. I wanted to, but they just don't do it for me.

As in all things, YMMV...

These were AIAW's that rang on you? My AICS did indeed ring as you describe, but my AIAW did not do this. The skins indeed can appear cheap. And some people just cant get behind the layout. But for me the attraction is the robustness of the system, especially the trigger and its ability to withstand some crud and still function. I have had 3, I am sure there will be a #4 :D