302w

How many of you have loaded guns in your safe?

An old neighbor of mine who I was very close with strategically stashed loaded guns in his house. An 11-87 that was "modified by a cop to mount under his AR15" (which sat AR15less) stowed behind a nook in his fireplace, an SKS upstairs, etc. But I always laughed because my neighbor needed a magnifying glass and good light to slowwwwly open his gun vault. In it he had an S&W or two ready to roll with semi wadcutters. 

I poked fun at him because there was no point to having a loaded gun in a safe that takes 45 seconds to open. His philosophy was that if someone robbed him and coerced him into opening his safe he had something ready to defend himself with. 

How many of you heard this or practice this? I found it interesting. I still prefer a quick access pistol safe or something of the like but his reasoning didn't seem horrible.

BTW, if you were wondering, his 11-87 had these horrific tabs welded to the top of it to mount to the AR. I didn't study it at the time but it wasn't some fantastic job and the modification probably predated all of the tacticool stuff so it probably bolted to the front pin or something. I don't remember barrel length but it was probably a hackjob that I hope was 18"+. Neighbor had gotten it for free or close to free and just used it for HD. 

Everything I have is loaded. My handguns all hang from hangers, which allows me to keep the slide back and hang them with a magazine in. Usually you can't do this because the hooks won't go deep enough with a round in the chamber but I have enough room to close the door with the slides open. All shotguns and AR's also stay loaded. Guns have zero functional value when they aren't loaded.

Please don't make me Google that shit.

You silly revolver people! :p

Heavyopp is right:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

From Cooper's Modern Technique -

Condition Four: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down.

Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.

Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.

Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.

Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

I use them as range commands when teaching classes. It is a simple way to convey exactly what I want done quickly and efficiently.

Even though they are based on a 1911 platform, they can be used for most semiauto firearms if applied with some common sense. For example, my pistols are all striker fired with no safeties (Glock, Kahr, Ruger LCP) so they aren't truly condition 1 (they are not fully cocked and have no safety to engage) but "condition 1" is the common/accepted parlance for a Glock with a full mag and one in the chamber.

Condition 2 is impossible in a lot of firearms - ARs, Pump shotguns, striker fired pistols...

.45 & shotgun in condition 3... both locked up when the wife and/or I am not home, .22 rifle not loaded

Both kids are quite proficient in Isshin-Ryu - empty hand, escrima and Bo along with knife defense. Both are also,under strict orders to hide & call 911...response time in my little town is usually <5 minutes...and some of the town cops take karate with my kids so know the address.

It's not a matter of me keeping them loaded, it's just that I never have a reason to unload them except for dry fire/cleaning/maintenance.

I thought guns worked with ammo?

I also don't take the barrels off my guns when I return from the range. I do take my boots off when I shower.

I have kids so everything is unloaded and locked up (or at least trigger locked).  Two handguns are in the small push button safe on my dresser both loaded.  A pistol for me and a revolver for my wife.

Although I don't have kids, this is my setup as well. Everything but the "duty weapon" is unloaded and secured (condition "4") in individual locked cases in crawl space closet with a secure lock on the door. The duty weapon (condition "1") is either always on my person or in a bed side (or desk side) button safe.

Just curious.... for those of you whio carry strikers without thumb safeties, What's your strategy for carrying and drawing? Are you condition "3", or condition ".5" or "0"? :) In those cases, is it simply a matter of strong trigger discipline? Two of my semis are 1911's and have thumb safeties so I can carry condition "1." My 3rd is a Shield 9mm (my usual EDC "duty weapon"), also with a thumb safety (although I see they now make a model without it????  Different Strokes, I guess. :dontknow:

My other weapon is a classic P226, so no thumb safety, but a decocker. I can carry condition "2" and DA/SA I'm careful, but also comfortable with my trigger discipline on that one. :)

Although I don't have kids, this is my setup as well. Everything but the "duty weapon" is unloaded and secured (condition "4") in individual locked cases in crawl space closet with a secure lock on the door. The duty weapon (condition "1") is either always on my person or in a bed side (or desk side) button safe.

Just curious.... for those of you whio carry strikers without thumb safeties, What's your strategy for carrying and drawing? Are you condition "3", or condition ".5" or "0"? :) In those cases, is it simply a matter of strong trigger discipline? Two of my semis are 1911's and have thumb safeties so I can carry condition "1." My 3rd is a Shield 9mm (my usual EDC "duty weapon"), also with a thumb safety (although I see they now make a model without it????  Different Strokes, I guess. :dontknow:

My other weapon is a classic P226, so no thumb safety, but a decocker. I can carry condition "2" and DA/SA I'm careful, but also comfortable with my trigger discipline on that one. :)

If its holstered , its holstered for a reason. If I have a glock in a holster there is most likely one in the chamber, Unless at a match where you cannot walk around with a loaded gun holstered after your stage is done.  Drawing, finger stays outside the trigger guard until you are ready for bang bang. Glocks, and some other striker fired, have a passive safety on the trigger that must be depressed in order to fire.

If its holstered , its holstered for a reason. If I have a glock in a holster there is most likely one in the chamber, Unless at a match where you cannot walk around with a loaded gun holstered after your stage is done.  Drawing, finger stays outside the trigger guard until you are ready for bang bang. Glocks, and some other striker fired, have a passive safety on the trigger that must be depressed in order to fire.

So, then, it's more "trigger discipline" than anything else. My Shield also has the passive safety combined with the thumb safety. But the passive safety won't be of much help without the trigger discipline to keep that finger out of the way while drawing/re-holstering.

My Safes are in my man cave.  All of the guns in those safes are unloaded, no magazines in the safes and each gun has a chamber flag to ensure they are unloaded.  I have a small safe hidden in a stratigic location that contains my home defense pistol which has a fully charged magazine and is stored with the slide to the rear - grab and drop the slide. 

So, then, it's more "trigger discipline" than anything else. My Shield also has the passive safety combined with the thumb safety. But the passive safety won't be of much help without the trigger discipline to keep that finger out of the way while drawing/re-holstering.

It's the same trigger disciple you have when drawing any pistol from the holster. No different.

I keep everything in my safe unloaded. I have a few Glock's scattered around the house (2 in my bedroom) condition zero and a 12g home defense in condition 1. They way I figure it I only have two hands ive got enough guns outside the safe loaded round chambered ready to go. Why load the 40+ guns in the safe? I just have to unload them when I pack them up to hit the range then.

BTW I don't have any kids.

IIRC, back in the 90's someone made, and was selling, a pistol grip attachment to mount a shotgun under an AR

is this guy in NJ?  im intrigued by the legality of the 11-87 mounted under an AR (which is illegal in NJ in every way i can think of) but legal in other states if it has a long enough barrel i suppose.  

how is it illegal if the barrels are the proper length, 18" shotgun and 16"+ rifle?

how is it illegal if the barrels are the proper length, 18" shotgun and 16"+ rifle?

The only way I can think of is if it is considered a "pistol grip" without the stock - but that doesn't really make sense.

I will say that with an 18" barrel it will be pretty unwieldy, even on a 20" barreled AR.