ECsandstar

Anyone know of good jewelers in NJ

Looking for a good jeweler for an engagement ring. Not necessarily looking for just a great deal on a ring, but also great customer service, nice person(s), warranty, and support. I know what im looking for which makes it easier. I absolutely dont want to deal with shmucks just hustling shiny shit. Im open to anything pretty much. Of course your Zales, Corrinne Jewelers, Jared, etc...i have been to. Just looking for more options from anyone who has had good experiences with someone or some place. Thanks in advance to any and all who have input!

Im also not opposed to traveling for the right thing/place/ person.

My best friend deals exclusively with Diana at Jewelry Exchange in Woodbridge.

He raves about the quality, price, and service.

Haven't used them myself, but he's one of those friends I trust unquestionably.

It is far from you, but Aires Jewelers in Morris Plains is great and meets all your criteria. I bought my wife's engagement ring from Ron when he was still in the warehouse over 25 years ago and my family continues to use them for significant items in life since then. It's our 25th this year, and I expect we'll be there in the next few weeks to look at new settings to commemorate the occasional :-)

They are high quality, so prices are often much more than mall schlock, but you will see excellent diamonds and unique settings and you will definitely get better value.

Remember though, jewelry has huge markups where ever you go, don't ever look at a retail purchase as a financial investment, it will never pay off, only be happy with what it represents in the gift (or proposal!)

http://airesjewelers.com/

3 Harrison Avenue
Morris Plains, NJ 07950

Earth Treasures.  Excellent service and quality is top notch.  Lifetime guarantee on everything I've ever purchased there.  Bring in anything you buy there and they will clean, inspect and repair/adjust if necessary for free.

If you are new to buying diamonds, get a book and read up on it so you know the lingo and the high points well. Search on Amazon and find a book with good reviews.

Next thing is price a lot of stones and settings someplace like Blue Nile so you know some ballpark ranges. The prices on things are relatively fixed - a ring that weighs x amount of gold/platinum with y quality stone should not vary widely from place to place unless the setting is very intricate.

If you want more stone, skimp on the color a little. Someone might try to upsell you stones by placing them on a white piece of paper. Against skin, a slightly off color will not be noticed. There is also some room to skimp on clarity. Remember you won't be looking at the stone through a 10x loupe in daily use. Look at the stone in a variety of high and low light settings.

Get a 6 point setting so you don't lose a stone.

And as you suggested, find someone you like and trust and provides good service. Since the prices are fixed you have to look for other benefits.

If they are still around, Phillips and Fredericks in Bernards/Bernardsville/Bedminster provided great service.

It is far from you, but Aires Jewelers in Morris Plains is great and meets all your criteria. I bought my wife's engagement ring from Ron when he was still in the warehouse over 25 years ago and my family continues to use them for significant items in life since then. It's our 25th this year, and I expect we'll be there in the next few weeks to look at new settings to commemorate the occasional :-)

They are high quality, so prices are often much more than mall schlock, but you will see excellent diamonds and unique settings and you will definitely get better value.

Remember though, jewelry has huge markups where ever you go, don't ever look at a retail purchase as a financial investment, it will never pay off, only be happy with what it represents in the gift (or proposal!)

http://airesjewelers.com/

3 Harrison Avenue
Morris Plains, NJ 07950

Small world.  I've known Ron and family for decades.

Idk where your located but Parian & Sons in franklin lakes is fantastic! Their customer service is great and so are the prices. I have bought many things from them including diamonds and they will sit down with you and go over everything, no pressure either.

Check-out Fords Jewelers in Fords, NJ.  Just the type of store you're looking for.  I know the Manager; his Daughter is my Son's GF.  They deal straight-up and lots of sports celebs buy from them!

LOL I love it..everyone has a guy. haha!

Yes. And what I learned doing this a couple of times is that there is no such thing as "my guy has the best deal". There is a fair price and then there are the ripoff guys.

An engagement ring is a commodity. If the OP said he knows exactly the 3 Cs that he wants he should just walk in and say it and the guy takes out his grid and says "I can sell it to you for this"

I had three different guys tell me to go to "their guy" because their family bought tons of rocks over the years. And ya know what? The guy in the strip mall down the street quoted me the same price as the the hookup guys.

The OP said service was key for him and THATS what a great jeweler does. What is service? Service is cleaning, advice, buying your used stuff back, letting you borrow an item, having custom stuff made, repairs while you wait on stuff he didn't even sell you, Etc etc

An engagement ring is a commodity. A jeweler is a lifetime relationship.

Edit: don't mean to belittle the enormity of your purchase. It is a huge day indeed. My commodity phrase was just my discovery that most guys were almost EXACTLY the same price for the stone I wanted. So I went with the guy who I now consider my jeweler for life because of his service. So if you know exactly what you want after about 3 visits to various guys I bet you will find out the low "barrier" price. And then it's just about your choice of guy after that.

That's my 2 cents (carats).

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I know i will be looking into some of these places soon. I have been to one specific place twice to look at a ring and comparing it to other jewelers, the prices were indeed very similar(almost EXACTLY). The service so far has been much better than i had expected, but of course ive never done this before so what do i know.

Congrats on the engagement!

Well...hasnt happened yet but ill surely let you know

LOL I love it..everyone has a guy. haha!

I had this exact conversation with a co-worker today ha!

The three rings:

Engagement ring

Wedding ring

Suffering

Seriously, follow the lady's advice. Women tend to know about th

HA!