Howard

My newest photo toy - its sky high :)

Thanks.  What does the more option do?  That is the exact same code I pasted but did not choose more.  I ask as I have the same issue in posting to facebook and they don't have a "more" option :(  When I post there rather than show up the way your's does I get about a 1" square image that you can click on to play and the rest of the post has text on the right hand side.

What do you mean the faa says you cant make money with it? There are countless people using them to film commercials. I looked into as a side business but never heard anything about the faa preventing someone from using it to earn a living

faa would want to regulate the flying aircraft that is being used commercially ---  RC use is recreational only -- once you make money with it it becomes commercial and they want to regulate it

I briefly read about it last night -- specifically mentioned was selling of aerial photos and realtors using to aid the sale of homes --   there are a ton more but I just don't recall  

From what I understand the FAA stopped Amazon from proceeding with their launch of drone delivery -- Amazon even said it would be free delivery but still a no go due to the drones aiding in their business structure thus making it a commercial us of RC aircraft

Anyone using RC aircraft to make money is breaking federal aviation law -- Unless they have a permit to do so from the FAA -- which supposedly is hard to get $$$$$

Now don't shoot the messenger -- I only researched it a little about a year ago -- I had a real bug about building a quad or a hex and just wanted to see if their was any money to be made with one

I had residential tree spraying in mind...

I'd love to see I was wrong...... 

Sorry -- I didn't read the whole thread before writing this  -- I saw Howard addressed it somewhat...

Edited by Heavyopp

That is way cool. Very impressed with the hover starting at 2:05. Did not know a fixed wind craft could so that.

Thanks buddy, Thats an old video of some of my first flights with that plane so I was a little nervous getting low so soon. Now I drag the rudder all day, lsat year in South Carolina I dipped my rudder in the pond.

untitledpngbvcfdsew_zps64eaae53.png

faa would want to regulate the flying aircraft that is being used commercially ---  RC use is recreational only -- once you make money with it it becomes commercial and they want to regulate it

I briefly read about it last night -- specifically mentioned was selling of aerial photos and realtors using to aid the sale of homes --   there are a ton more but I just don't recall  

From what I understand the FAA stopped Amazon from proceeding with their launch of drone delivery -- Amazon even said it would be free delivery but still a no go due to the drones aiding in their business structure thus making it a commercial us of RC aircraft

Anyone using RC aircraft to make money is breaking federal aviation law -- Unless they have a permit to do so from the FAA -- which supposedly is hard to get $$$$$

Now don't shoot the messenger -- I only researched it a little about a year ago -- I had a real bug about building a quad or a hex and just wanted to see if their was any money to be made with one

I had residential tree spraying in mind...

I'd love to see I was wrong...... 

Sorry -- I didn't read the whole thread before writing this  -- I saw Howard addressed it somewhat...

This is why the FAA's mission statement is, "we're not happy until you're not happy."

Sorry to dig up and older thread.

Does the phantom support streaming and telemetry to a laptop or PC? I have a side project this could be useful for but I need to control from the remote/iPhone but have the data also go to a laptop.

If the phantom doesn't do this, do you know a copter that does?

I think you need to install Lightbridge hardware to do that, check their web site for specifics.

Maybe it's just me but their website is rather confusing. Lots of nice pictures and flash... Light on details.

I thought the Vision+ already had many of the features the Lightbridge adds. Am I wrong?

It does but I don't think it can go to a PC directly. It does transmit in real time to your iPhone or Droid device but I think you need LightBridge to go directly to a computer. It does record to a micro SD card as well.

To all you quadcopter and other RC aircraft jockeys - here's something I bet you never thought to watch out for...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Actually Bob, the second time I flew mine a Red Tailed Hawk came very close to check it out, but I assume the noise of the props drove it away.  To say I was nervous was an understatement.

Howard,

Any updates? These seem to be increasingly popular. What would you change, given your current knowledge?

Paul O.

Good question Paul.  I would never buy another DJI product.  I no longer have mine and after going through two different units sent it back for a full refund.  GoPro is planning to come out with one and I would think they will have a better product with better support.  The problem with the DJI units that many people are having has to do with lack of quality control leading to problems which cause the bird to just fly away on its own.  Not what you really want with a $1,000 plus toy.  The problem I was having is that at times when I turned on the camera it would lose it's GPS tracking signal and then just decide to go where it wanted.  Fortunately mine hit the top of a tree with lots of leaves and did not sustain damage, but many others are not so fortunate.  They either fly away never to be seen again, or go crashing into something.  When they do that they typically tear a ribbon cable for the camera or destroy the camera or gimbal.  Since you cannot buy the cable, or if you damage the camera or gimbal you are looking at a $700 bill to replace that part.  So, I am waiting for GoPro to come out with their unit.

Very interesting article on DJI flyaways today.  It can be seen in today's WSJ: http://on.wsj.com/1zlZhv9

One major takeaway:

On an online forum for drone users, a poll of 774 people who said they owned DJI Phantoms showed that nearly a third had experienced a flyaway, including 122 users who never saw their devices again. DJI said its internal figures suggest the percentage of users reporting flyaways is decreasing as it improves its software and fail-safe functions.

That is almost 16% of users having this problem.  Sure some of it is people that don't know what they are doing, but a lot of it is from people that have many flights under their belt and know what they are doing.  These products are not ready for prime time yet.