Vzguy

Another Shore Shot shooting

I would do rentals but only to current gun owners who want to try out new stuff. I would not want the responsibility of new shooters or people wanting to harm themselves or others. What if next time someone wants to take others with them? That place is packed sometimes and could end up very tragic if someone went off. Makes me think if I should wear my vest next time I go.

Came dowm from Stamford, CT to do it. Maybe he wanted a long drive to give himself extra time to think about it. Or maybe its another attempt from the CT crowd to influence our gun laws. They are a dedicated bunch.

Or visiting a girlfriend who just broke up with him. Doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

I have an FPID and my own firearms, so I have never had the need/desire to rent. What do you have to do to rent at Shore Shot? FPID? DL? ID?

Is it the same/similar to other places you guys have rented from? I'm just curious as to why these people keep going there as opposed to other places. Or is this happening all over and just Shore Shot is getting the publicity.

I have an FPID and my own firearms, so I have never had the need/desire to rent. What do you have to do to rent at Shore Shot? FPID? DL? ID?

Is it the same/similar to other places you guys have rented from? I'm just curious as to why these people keep going there as opposed to other places. Or is this happening all over and just Shore Shot is getting the publicity.

I certainly hope this isn't the start of a new trend. Their location and hours really work for me. Plus I feel like I'm treated well whenever I'm there.

I believe you hand over your drivers license and sign a release. Renters must have someone with them to rent guns.

I've been a member for a few years now and frequently shoot there on Friday and Saturday nights. I've personally observed on numerous occasions, RO's being notified of new shooters/renters entering the range. The RO's (based only on my personal experience) do a decent job of instructing these customers on safe firearm operation. The only two situations where any blatant disregard for everyone's safety appeared to be committed by two individuals there with their own guns. One felt it was ok to attempt uncase a long gun outside the ports. The other thought it was ok to rapid fire his 357 mag revolver. Both were delt with in a firm and professional manor.

Very scary. Makes you think every time you go to the range. Never used to cross my mind.

You see these newbies at the range all the time. Walk ins with no guns or experience. Makes you wonder.

I started my journey into pistol ownership at Shore Shot.

Me and my son, then 14, walked into the place.  Total noobs, and I told the guy so.  He collected my credit card and drivers license and handed over a gun and some ammo and a target, reminded us to get eyes and pointed to the door as he said "Have Fun."

That was it.

I shot there one other time and have never been back.

I didn't feel safe there.

never could understand why or how a rental gun range can put a firearm in a person's hand and not run a background check.....

Any person with any kind of a problem can then have access to a firearm and have the ability to hurt themselves or someone else.....

this is why i avoid those ranges....just don't feel safe...

I'm not going to air anyone's personal stuff here as it's not my place to do so, but the wife works part time with extended family of this guy. That was kind of a strange phone call, "hey you knew that guy who committed suicide you were telling me about lat night, yea I get to work and....."

I don't think there was any history or reason for anyone to see it coming other then some recent "life events"

This sucks. I feel bad for everybody. The owners of Shore Shot have a nightmare on their hands. I'm sure the employees aren't too thrilled to go to work now. And, the customers don't feel safe.

I know it hasn't been too long, but anyone hear of what Shore Shot is planning to do (if anything)?

I'm a VERY pro 2nd amendment guy and feel all eligible persons should have access to firearms.

That being said... No NICS required is crazy.

Suicide is a personal thing though shouldn't be done in public.

But what would stop a Jihadist from coming in and wiping the place out then leaving to rain terror?

... No NICS required is crazy...But what would stop a Jihadist from coming in and wiping the place out then leaving to rain terror?

Let's think about this for a second: what's the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun. Right?

What do we have in a range? A bunch of good guys with guns.

A jihadist shooting up a range is the least of my fears.

Let's think about this for a second: what's the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun. Right?

I totally agree with this statement.

But, there are more things than a "gun free zone" that make a soft target.

I'd feel more comfortable if there were a vigilant RO standing over the shooters shoulder.

You're right this isn't simple and warrants thought.

Two times in a week is just crazy, I called yesterday to check to see if they were open....

And of course they were. My membership expires soon, and was hoping the private club in Monroe (union hill) might be open by the time it expires, but haven't heard or seen any news about that place opening up either.

I started my journey into pistol ownership at Shore Shot.

Me and my son, then 14, walked into the place.  Total noobs, and I told the guy so.  He collected my credit card and drivers license and handed over a gun and some ammo and a target, reminded us to get eyes and pointed to the door as he said "Have Fun."

That was it.

I shot there one other time and have never been back.

I didn't feel safe there.

I, too, started my firearms journey at Shore Shot.  While I wont go there anymore for other reasons (trouble with a transfer), my first time shooting was a bit of a different experience than yours.  One of the RO's on duty came up to my wife & I when we got into the range, asked if we'd ever shot before, I said no.  He then proceeded to give us a quick tutorial on the weapon(s) we had rented and how to properly load, aim & fire the gun (and he even mentioned the basic firearm 'rules').  I can fault SS for a number of things, but my experience with the RO's isnt one of them. 

It does seem quite odd that this happened twice in a week.  Most public ranges will have something like this happen eventually, but there is usually a bit of time in between incidents.  Its a strange thing really.  There are usually quite a few people in the range (packed much of the time, really) and yet, how much do you actually know about what someone in a different port is really doing?   Unless you are standing behind the person shooting, you would never see what anyone else is doing.