Vzguy

Another Shore Shot shooting

never could understand why or how a rental gun range can put a firearm in a person's hand and not run a background check.....

Any person with any kind of a problem can then have access to a firearm and have the ability to hurt themselves or someone else.....

this is why i avoid those ranges....just don't feel safe...

I shot there twice.  I just didn't feel safe knowing that the person in the next port might have a gun in his hands for the first time with no instruction.  I could just invision him racking the slide with his finger on the trigger and the muzzle pointed directly at me.  I am not saying to ban rentals but simply limit them to persons with an instructor present or to a firearm owner simply looking to try another gun he may want to buy.  Past that rentals with a DL only should be outlawed.

I have never been to a indoor range in NJ since I live so close to PA. Are RO's here allowed to carry while on range? Cause every RO I know of in PA does.

Also I find it odd that they don't have RO's physically on the range. My indoor range has at least two on duty and are very interactive with the people in the ports, even when crowded. 

I don't think you can blame the range. Doing what these guys did just takes a second. There's nothing the RO can do to stop it.

I shot twice at SS.

ROs seem to be on point.

Second time I brought my wife and her friend (who'd never shot a gun before).

The ROs stayed closed when she (the friend) was shooting and offered helpful tips.

Both times a good experience. Same with GFH which also rents.

They only time I've felt unsafe at a range was at Clinton WMA rifle range-

We called the range cold so a couple of guys could go down range to set up. Meanwhile the idiot next to me decides to shoulder his 12ga single shot with the action closed and use it as a spotting scope.

I didn't want to startle him in case it was loaded, so told him calmly "hey don't point that down range with people down there". He put it down and said something like "oh yeah, oops. It's not loaded though. Haha."

When the new guys got back I packed up, told them what happened and left.

ETA: When I go there now I won't go down range unless the other shooter(s) is as well. If that's not feasible, I ask them to case their guns.

I don't care if it makes look like a jerk, I'm not trusting some guy I never met with my life.

The only way to stop it would be to stop renting to one person walkin's. If they walk in with their own gun, then rent a gun to them. Odds are, they'd off themselves with their own gun then.

If they come with two people, odds are one won't commit suicide I f don't of another. Doesn't dismiss the double suicide chance but they are very low odds wise.

There policy is to not rent to single non member shooters to try and prevent this kinda thing. Not sure if its enforced or not. The RO's are always in the lanes helping everyone and checking in with you constantly. Don't know the facts of the last two suicides to know if they were renting alone or not. I'm not sure if the RO's are allowed to carry but I know 1 does. Last thing you want is to be in a room and everyone has a gun but you. I been there about 15 times this year and now im really thinking if I want to go back. Never a issue or problem with them but if someone wants to take others with them and I'm the first they target I have no chance.

The only way to stop it would be to stop renting to one person walkin's. If they walk in with their own gun, then rent a gun to them. Odds are, they'd off themselves with their own gun then.

If they come with two people, odds are one won't commit suicide I f don't of another. Doesn't dismiss the double suicide chance but they are very low odds wise.

There policy is to not rent to single non member shooters to try and prevent this kinda thing. Not sure if its enforced or not.

There was a risk of this happening at my home range when they had their most recent similar incident.  And it came at a time when I was not yet an owner and needed to rent. I would always go by myself at that time. And I had just paid for a full 1  year membership. Thankfully, they did not implement it, or I would have cancelled the membership and demanded my money back. Doesn't matter for me anymore... I'm an owner several times over, now. :) But I feel for those that were in my position. In a sport/industry that is attempting to attract new membership, restricting new members from renting or trying out new weapons (and potentially buying them from the range shop) would seem counterproductive.

Trust me... I understand the concern. It's a risk/benefit calculation that each range has to  make for themselves. Hopefully, there are ways to mitigate that risk without restricting others to which it would never apply, and who might become your best customer (as I did with my range).  Background checks, customer interviews/evals, whatever.  Make them take a gun safety class with an instructor before you rent to them. See how they operate in front of others. I would have gladly done any of those if it meant I could still rent without owning, when I most needed to.

All suggestions voiced here have some merit.

My personal view is that there will always be crazies and there is no way to prevent all crazy actions by individuals - no without completely eliminating personal freedom.

I do not want to have to submit to a NICS before I buy a kitchen knife or a bat. Do not want to have permission before buying lawn fertilizer.

All things can be taken to an extreme and absurd level under the banner of  "keep us safe".

Bad things happen in life, sometimes to good people.

Lets not start begging the politicians to take away more freedoms - they are always eager to oblige.

never could understand why or how a rental gun range can put a firearm in a person's hand and not run a background check.....

Any person with any kind of a problem can then have access to a firearm and have the ability to hurt themselves or someone else.....

this is why i avoid those ranges....just don't feel safe...

Exactly. People never commited suicide until gun rentals were invented. In fact, I think existing gun owners should be subject to weekly psychological tests. You never know if they're going to get an urge to shoot up a school. If it saves one child's life, it's worth it.

Exactly. People never commited suicide until gun rentals were invented. In fact, I think existing gun owners should be subject to weekly psychological tests. You never know if they're going to get an urge to shoot up a school. If it saves one child's life, it's worth it.

I see what you did there.

:icon_e_wink:

I hope you were being facetious.

As much as I dislike Shore shot, the ranger officers have always been a pretty good bunch with helping newbies and watching people. And they have a policy already about not renting to individuals who come in alone who currently don't have a gun with them. Sounds like someone at the counter screwed up and didn't follow the policy.