GlastonburyNative

Bit by the Sig Bug: 229 vs. 226?

I have a Beretta 92 and I am fan of it.  It was the first 9mm handgun I shot when I was a kid and it has a special place in my heart.  However, over the weekend I had a chance to shoot a p226 and I was blown away.  I was always a bit wary due to the position of the decocker and me being a lefty, but I found no difficulty during my range time with it.  There is something about the grip which allowed me to shoot the handgun much better than my Beretta from the very first magazine.

With that said, I want to add a Sig to my collection but I don't know which one to get in 9mm.  This new handgun will serve mostly as a range gun, but I do intend on carrying it whenever I'm back home in CT.  Other than size, will I miss out on anything else by leaning towards the p229?

I have a Beretta 92 and I am fan of it.  It was the first 9mm handgun I shot when I was a kid and it has a special place in my heart.  However, over the weekend I had a chance to shoot a p226 and I was blown away.  I was always a bit wary due to the position of the decocker and me being a lefty, but I found no difficulty during my range time with it.  There is something about the grip which allowed me to shoot the handgun much better than my Beretta from the very first magazine.

With that said, I want to add a Sig to my collection but I don't know which one to get in 9mm.  This new handgun will serve mostly as a range gun, but I do intend on carrying it whenever I'm back home in CT.  Other than size, will I miss out on anything else by leaning towards the p229?

I bought the P226 and never looked back.  I love it!  I have an OWB for it on my competition belt.

I have the P229 9mm,P226 9mm,  40  S&W, .22LR & Sp2022 9mm.

The 229 is about 1/2" shorter barrel then the 226.

As far as shootability I always shoot the 226 9mm more than the others, Although they all get plenty of range time.

Most any Sig shooter will tell you nothing beats A P226, As I will.

That being said they are all Sigs.

In order to find anything with A short extractor you will have to look for an older production gun. Everything is long extractor now from Sig.  

As far as holsters go, there are many out there for the 226, 229 the difference being railed or non railed model, Even the Sp2022 is easy to find holsters for now.

I use Alien Gear Iwb holsters for all my Sigs. Just my preference after going thru many others.

Either way you go will be A good choice.

I carry my P226 9mm when in America!

This is right on here. There is not a huge difference. You will not be using either for concealed carry, so you are better off with the 226.

If there is one to go with, it's the 226 Elite with the beaver tail and E2 grips. The ergonomics of the handle are a little better with the 226 as well. The 229 is a tad shorter. I put the E2 grips on the 229 and it did just not feel the same.

Also found the ergo of the sig to be great and of all my handguns my sig shoots the most natural for me.

As far as 226 vs 229 I only have the 226 but having shot both I dont see a huge difference. The longer barrel does mitigate muzzle flip a bit imo.

I have the P229 9mm,P226 9mm,  40  S&W, .22LR & Sp2022 9mm.

The 229 is about 1/2" shorter barrel then the 226.

As far as shootability I always shoot the 226 9mm more than the others, Although they all get plenty of range time.

Most any Sig shooter will tell you nothing beats A P226, As I will.

That being said they are all Sigs.

In order to find anything with A short extractor you will have to look for an older production gun. Everything is long extractor now from Sig.  

As far as holsters go, there are many out there for the 226, 229 the difference being railed or non railed model, Even the Sp2022 is easy to find holsters for now.

I use Alien Gear Iwb holsters for all my Sigs. Just my preference after going thru many others.

Either way you go will be A good choice.

I carry my P226 9mm when in America!

In your experience, is the 1/2 inch less sight radius noticeable when going from the 226 to the 229?  As for carry, I'm not tall at all being 5'5" on a good day.  I guess I could pull off the 226 if I can already do it with the 92fs though I print like crazy.

On a side note, I was looking at the m11-a1.  Despite the outrage from SIG crowd, it seems like a good deal.  Any experience?

For me it is not that noticable. I had my 2022 before the 229 (same length Barrel) so I was already adapted to the sight radius of both of them.   Now the 226 for me, and A lot of people that is pretty much point and shoot. Like I said you cant beat A P226.

Now the M11-a1, That is in all reality A P229 dressed with 228 grips, Another frankingun from Sig. Not that anything at all is wrong with it. The problem is the way that everyone markets it. Some say its A P228, some say Its the same as A M11, That is where you see comments about it from Sig purists. I know people with them and they are good guns also.

Now if you decide down the road that you want A 228, Well then your where I'm at, Looking for that really nice German matching SN,s P228.   Thats my quest right now..   Just A damn shame the NJSP and the State are going to scrap all the 228 they have in service when their new P229 service pistols come in.    DAMN SHAME I SAY!

Agreed, I learned to shoot on one and would buy one just for the nostalgia. I could buy the one I learned on if allowed and that makes it worse.

For me it is not that noticable. I had my 2022 before the 229 (same length Barrel) so I was already adapted to the sight radius of both of them. Now the 226 for me, and A lot of people that is pretty much point and shoot. Like I said you cant beat A P226.

Now the M11-a1, That is in all reality A P229 dressed with 228 grips, Another frankingun from Sig. Not that anything at all is wrong with it. The problem is the way that everyone markets it. Some say its A P228, some say Its the same as A M11, That is where you see comments about it from Sig purists. I know people with them and they are good guns also.

Now if you decide down the road that you want A 228, Well then your where I'm at, Looking for that really nice German matching SN,s P228. Thats my quest right now.. Just A damn shame the NJSP and the State are going to scrap all the 228 they have in service when their new P229 service pistols come in. DAMN SHAME I SAY!

I have a few Sigs and other finer toys. My 229 40 Platinum Elite is by far my favorite all around, utilitarian, if I could only pick one... pistol. I have a 22LR conversion slide for it and a 9mm conversion barrel for it. What's not to like? FWIW -  I have the Hogue G10 Pirana grips and it is sexy.

I bought myself a Sig P226 MK25 in May as moving present down here in FL... there was an amazing sale and I'd always wanted one so I just did it.

Absolutely amazing gun.  Flawless and full of class but power and plenty of toughness.  It's a Sig... silky smooth combat pistol.

I also like .40 S&W and would really really like a 226 Elite Stainless one day; that is, had I known it existed before I bought the MK25, I might have had to go with that... just looks so classy to me while retaining toughness.

I shot my MK25 last week at a range here, ~200rds ... it makes me more accurate than I've ever been with a pistol.  Significantly more accurate than I have ever shot.  And it feels good too.

For me it is not that noticable. I had my 2022 before the 229 (same length Barrel) so I was already adapted to the sight radius of both of them.   Now the 226 for me, and A lot of people that is pretty much point and shoot. Like I said you cant beat A P226.

Now if you decide down the road that you want A 228, Well then your where I'm at, Looking for that really nice German matching SN,s P228.   Thats my quest right now..   Just A damn shame the NJSP and the State are going to scrap all the 228 they have in service when their new P229 service pistols come in.    DAMN SHAME I SAY!

i have an m11-a1. i love it. its a dressed up 229 with 228 grips. i liked the look of the phosphate decocker and internals and didn't want a rail. i also liked that it came with night sights and the SRT trigger out of the box. i want to put some slim grips on it but don't know exactly what i want yet. i would highly recommend it.

Yeah I will admit I should have went with the MK25 Desert. I took advantage of an incredible sale and didnt want to wait and save more money for the D model. However the Cerakote alone would make it worthwhile. Sig Nitron finish, aka IONBOND PVC coating, ain't the best stuff. I really hate the texture , the way the metal feels to the touch. Also, unless you keep it wet with an oil coating, it goes battleship grey in color. However gun wise, it's an amazing gun otherwise.

Sorry to bring up a somewhat dead thread but can anyone make any comparisons between the p229 vs. p30 v1 lem?  Now that I've had the opportunity to shoot my vp9, this other offering from HK has caught my eye.  As a lefty, I'm very fond of the ambidextrous controls.  The ability to share mags would be great as well.