gleninjersey

What Is A "FUDD"?

Is that the case? The numbers show a steady decline in hunting licenses.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/license_sales70-13.pdf

Nappen was saying that CCW permit holders are replacing hunters as the future of gun ownership in the USA. I would agree with him.

Yes, in NJ that number is very real. Across the U.S. this scenario is also true. I've commented on this many times before. The hunter is our most visible catalyst with a firearm, particularly in this state, not the CCW holder.  

Give some credit though to our State for being progressive with game laws. It's also advantageous to Div. of F&W as well for controlling population numbers of geese, deer and bear. By offering new opportunities for hunters to appeal to a broader base, more people may show an interest. Firearm hunter numbers aren't growing in this state, but bowhunter numbers are.

As for CCW's in New Jersey................................

As for CCW's nationwide; it's not for everyone.

I wonder what the actual numbers are in nj...of the total number of ar ak style rifles in Owners hands as compared to hunting weapons ..pick a flavor...

The problem is that a somewhat large number of black rifle people....strike others ...so called fudds as wanna bees...

I'll also submit to you this...IF there is a continued decline in hunters and those like them....essentially your 2a is a lost cause for the future....

The future is the children and like it or not the fudds introduce their kids and grandkids to firearms and hunting etc.

If THAT declines it's over...

"Regular" shooters enjoy taking their children to the range as well.  To say it's all in the hands of hunters/fudds is a gross exageration.  It's in the hands of anyone who likes/appreciates firearms, respects the responsibility of owning/using a firearm and is willing to take a little time to patiently show someone else who enjoyable and fun it can be.

And you don't have to introduce just your children.  You can introduce other family members, friends and coworkers as well.  Many people don't know or understand guns.  The future is every person you know who is on the fence or ambivalent about guns. You don't have to be preaching the glory of the 2nd Amendment 24/7 but if the opportunity comes up, let people know you enjoy shooting and that you would love to take them out to the range some time.  THAT'S how the future is esured.  By gently stoking the flames of freedom.

I wonder what the actual numbers are in nj...of the total number of ar ak style rifles in Owners hands as compared to hunting weapons ..pick a flavor...

The problem is that a somewhat large number of black rifle people....strike others ...so called fudds as wanna bees...

I'll also submit to you this...IF there is a continued decline in hunters and those like them....essentially your 2a is a lost cause for the future....

The future is the children and like it or not the fudds introduce their kids and grandkids to firearms and hunting etc.

If THAT declines it's over...

What a bunch of crap.

Who is it? Can you PM me if you don't want to post?

I have an example of what epitomizes the FUDD mentality for me. There's a fairly decent gunsmith in south jersey who I enjoy visiting for small things, has a great inventory of collectibles and does good work. HOWEVER, he refuses to work on any black rifles because he doesn't believe they're "real guns". We can talk about gun rights all day and he gets it, however he won't fight for the right to keep black rifles......that divisive thinking is what I think of when I hear FUDD.

Hunting will continue on as a strong American tradition for a long time.  But Fudds are no longer the backbone.  Sports shooters are.  And they are the ones who will continue to grow 2A support.  Try taking an anti hunting.  Or bring one to the range and hand him a 30-06 bolt action.  Maybe he'll pull the trigger twice.  Bring an anti to the range and hand him a 9mm semi or an AR-15 and they'll be begging you for another magazine.  In the last year I turned 2 antis into gun owners and 4 into "no longer anti".  As a "want-to-be" hunter I appreciate the FUDDs.  But I wish they would have a little more appreciation for the continuing struggle we face in maintaining our 2A rights. 

yeah, it's everywhere I guess. I know several people who primarily hunt and most (not all) feel that "who needs an AR 15 style rifle anyway" and "10 round magazines are more than enough for target shooting" etc. Apparently the "herd" is definitely divided on the perceived importance of our 2A rights......and that's not good.

yeah, it's everywhere I guess. I know several people who primarily hunt and most (not all) feel that "who needs an AR 15 style rifle anyway" and "10 round magazines are more than enough for target shooting" etc. Apparently the "herd" is definitely divided on the perceived importance of our 2A rights......and that's not good.

not good at all i agree. shouldnt we be respecting our fellow gun owners preferences. When you say "somebody is a poser and trying to be a tacticool ninja" thats not constructive...its called bitching for no reason. If somone wants tacticool shit go for it, if you want to FUDD it up in the woods do your thing. The division of sides sounds like "anti" pestering

Since when did 2a become specifically about hunting. 

Since the antis/MSM wanted to try and spin the issue that way to further their "anti" agenda. The "sheeples" might not feel the need for hunting, but they could definitely understand (and rally behind) guns for HD/SD. And the antis don't want the discussion going towards the HD/SD talking point (one of our stronger points and, conversely, a weaker one for them), for a number of reasons. So, the more they (antis/MSM) associate guns with "hunting," the NRA, etc. the less the "sheeples" associate it with HD/SD.

I guess that's their logic.  :dontknow:    I think that's why we need to emphasize HD/SD when we speak of it. 

not good at all i agree. shouldnt we be respecting our fellow gun owners preferences. When you say "somebody is a poser and trying to be a tacticool ninja" thats not constructive...its called bitching for no reason. If somone wants tacticool shit go for it, if you want to FUDD it up in the woods do your thing. The division of sides sounds like "anti" pestering

That's why I posted that over-long post.

I only have 2 guns, out of over a dozen, that hold more than 10 rounds. And it wouldn't matter much to me if they held less, since neither is a go-to defensive gun. Plus my range only allows you to load 5 rounds at time.

But nobody is criticizing my (or anyone else's) preference for fuddly guns.

We're criticizing those who side with the antis on what guns should be legal, just because their tastes are different.

Again, if all you shoot are over/unders, that's fine. But STFU about what others should be allowed to own.

Or better yet, speak up for their rights, because they're your rights too, even if you never expect to exercise them.

My version of it from my experience at SCFGPA:

The old guys who only want to shoot Bullseye with .22LR at 25 yards - sweeping the ceiling with their muzzle as they bring their custom target pistol down.... and putting holes in the ceiling.....

My version of it from my experience at SCFGPA:

The old guys who only want to shoot Bullseye with .22LR at 25 yards - sweeping the ceiling with their muzzle as they bring their custom target pistol down.... and putting holes in the ceiling.....

Oh, here we go.....

Or better yet, speak up for their rights, because they're your rights too, even if you never expect to exercise them.

I agree.

80 million gun owners in the U.S.

40 million "recreational" shooters (est.)

14 million hunters  (USF&W)

4.5 million NRA members  

And nobody agrees with each other on a singular topic.

I read somewhere a study (source could have been the NSSF, Shooting Illustrated, or ShootingIndustry.com,) called the “Analysis Of Sport Shooting Participation in the U.S.” It encompassed data collected from 2008-2012. This survey carefully investigates new shooters; finding one out of every five current target shooters began shooting in the last five years. This suggests 20 percent of the entire target shooting population is new to the industry, with 11 percent starting in 2012 alone.

Could that be true? I thought that last bit of analysis was interesting.

If you do not realize that many youngsters are brought into firearms by ways of hunting etc...your clueless.

Oh yeah, Hunting, the backbone of the 2A....with their dwindling numbers each year, and shooting sports increasing each year....FUDD's are gonna mobil up on their rascal scooters and save the day........good grief. 

My son never hunted. He was educated through show and tell from me. He is Pro2A. However, he fled NJ before I did.

IMO, hunting is a dieing sport. Closet gun owners will be the norm. That is the future of our voting power.

I know my share of hunters.  Some are Fudds.  Some are not.

The Fudds own guns as a happenstance to hunting.  They have no particular love or interest in them.  They don't identify as gun owners and certainly not as enthusiasts.  They really don't give a damn about the 2A or any gun rights outside of those that apply to hunting.  I doubt many have even heard of this website, let alone joined.

Fudds are a bigger danger than some realize.  It's not just that they vote for anti-2A candidates (that's bad enough), they too often become a tool to influence the fence-sitters in the general population.  They are used by the antis as the "reasonable" gun owners and give legitimacy to the antis favorite crusades like mag limits, expanded background checks, banned MSR's etc.  "See, RESPONSIBLE gun owners support COMMON SENSE gun control legislation!" 

If you're a hunter who truly believes in the 2A, you're OK in my book. Just because I consider Fudds much the same as any anti doesn't have a thing to do with you.  If you're a hunter who can't tell the difference, you're probably a Fudd and you wouldn't be reading this anyway..

Folks understand one thing, I am not defending the 'fudd'.......I am playing devils advocate in this thread. So continuing on in that course......

So are you a single topic/cause/issue voter?

If your candidate was pro 2a yet in all other regards was a bad choice for you and your family on other issues, would you vote for him/her based on 2a alone? If you do I would think are are the fringe minority.

How many times have you seen it here on THIS very forum, about firearms ownership called a 'hobby'? Hobby? Granted, there are facets within the shooting sports that constitute, hobby. Reloading..hobby-esque...collecting classics...etc.

SD/HD/CCW is the only, IMO, true bell weather for the 2A.

I am a single issue (2A) voter.

And it's not about owning guns (as a hobby or for any other reason). In fact, even if I was a probhibited person, 2A issues would still be the criteria by which I judged candidates.

Here's why:

There are only three reasons why someone running for office would oppose the natural, civil and constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. None of those reasons is acceptable and each of them makes the candidate wholly unfit for office. They are (in order of most to least common):

A. They don't feel strongly about the issue one way or the other but are willing to infringe upon our fundamental rights for political gain. That means they'll do the same with any other issue. No integrity, no conviction, only pure self-interest.

B. They fully understand that gun control is about control, not guns. Chipping away at our 2A rights is part of their worldview where government has all the power and the people have none.

C. They really beleive the anti-gun rhetoric. Unlikely, but if true, says all I need to know about that person as a candidate for office. This is not an issue on which reasonable, honest people can disagree with both sides having valid arguments.

The facts are 100% in favor of civilian gun ownership. Anyone sincerely opposed to same is either not too smart (certainly not smart enough to be an elected representative of the people) or willfully ignorant of the facts regarding an issue that touches upon our most basic freedoms. Either way, not someone deserving of my vote.

Of course, someone can be pro-2A and still be a total bufoon, craven opportunist or even a closet fascist. But it's less likely, especially the last one.

And since pulling that lever is almost always a choice between evils, the pro-2A candidate will almost always be the lesser evil.

Actually guys if you look hunting has increased in the last few years due to all the foodies an people that are afraid of store bought meat

Wow, I guess I've been "trendy" for the past 27 years then. Do I hunt? Of course look at my forum name. But I'm definitely no fudd. I'm a straight up gun lover, that likes to kill animals myself for food instead of using a middle man (supermarket). I honestly just don't trust how the animals were raised or treated on a commercial level.

Plus I've been hunting for more of my life than not, I guess its become habit.

I love all types of guns, from Tacticool to antique arms & armour, both small arms & artillery. I'm also aware many hunters have the "I don't care as long as they're not coming for my deer gun" attitude. I do my best to educate anyone I meet with that mindset as to why they are wrong.

Honestly I don't even rely on my guns for hunting (except waterfowl), I much prefer a bow and arrow and 99% of the time that's what I hunt with. Hunting with guns got boring for me. The bow is a more up close and personal choice, much more challenging to be successful with. Many more factors apply, concealment, camo, scent control, stealth, wind, obstacles. It becomes an obsession to get it right and extremely rewarding when success is achieved.

Folks understand one thing, I am not defending the 'fudd'.......I am playing devils advocate in this thread.  So continuing on in that course......

So are you a single topic/cause/issue voter?

If your candidate was pro 2a yet in all other regards was a bad choice for you and your family on other issues, would you vote for him/her based on 2a alone?  If you do I would think are are the fringe minority.

How many times have you seen it here on THIS very forum, about firearms ownership called a 'hobby'?  Hobby?  Granted, there are facets within the shooting sports that constitute, hobby.  Reloading..hobby-esque...collecting classics...etc.

SD/HD/CCW is the only, IMO, true bell weather for the 2A.

This whole argument does not apply.  We're not talking about people who agonize over voting for anti-2A candidates because of other issues.  We're talking about FUDDS.  These are the guys who freely admit that they don't care about the 2A.  The telltale sign is when they launch into the whole, "why does anyone need a XXX?"  XXX can be standard cap mags, handguns, MSR's, suppressors, etc.  You can tell they are the enemy because they use the same terminology and support the same legislation as groups like MDA.  Things like waiting periods for handguns and prevention of OC/CCW.

Even if we go by your scenario, if you vote in a way that threatens my rights I won't be considering you my compadre no matter what your rationale.  Do you make excuses for union members who voted for Sweeney because it was good for their jobs?  Are you OK with parasites who voted for Booker because the continued/expanded handouts?   

It matters little to me if members here consider their firearm ownership as a hobby provided they support the 2A when it comes time to vote. 

Roughly 10% of Jersey. The ones with FPIDs.

What you FAIL to realize the hunter FUDD is the backbone of firearms ownership in the USA, as well as the FUTURE of gun ownership in the US.

I really don't think that's true.

Most firearms owners do not hunt. Even with a growing population, there are less hunters almost every year. Yet there are more carry permits every single year (and a higher percentage of the population with carry permits) and more people buying MSRs or firearms for defensive or competition purposes. The AR-15 has been the most popular rifle purchased for roughly 15 years in a row (including during the national ban).

Hunting will continue on as a strong American tradition for a long time.  But Fudds are no longer the backbone.  Sports shooters are.  And they are the ones who will continue to grow 2A support.  Try taking an anti hunting.  Or bring one to the range and hand him a 30-06 bolt action.  Maybe he'll pull the trigger twice.  Bring an anti to the range and hand him a 9mm semi or an AR-15 and they'll be begging you for another magazine.  In the last year I turned 2 antis into gun owners and 4 into "no longer anti".  As a "want-to-be" hunter I appreciate the FUDDs.  But I wish they would have a little more appreciation for the continuing struggle we face in maintaining our 2A rights. 

Agreed.

Fudds are not only a dying breed, but also the minority, and certainly NOT the backbone NOR the future of gun ownership in USA.

Most current and new gun owners are non-hunters who go shoot paper for fun at the range with their semi auto handgun and/or black rifle.

What you FAIL to realize the hunter FUDD is the backbone of firearms ownership in the USA, as well as the FUTURE of gun ownership in the US.

I humbly disagree with this statement. Fudds are definitely the minority when it comes to gun ownership - a dying breed. Hunting is way down while sport shooting is up. Just check out the firearms trade only shows a la SHOT, and see for your own eyes.