basedop

Target Practice in Forest

Hello friends,

I will be moving from Europe to the U.S., specifically NJ, soon. I'd like to exercise my adopted second amendment rights and acquire a firearm. I intend on purchasing a bolt-action rifle.

For my question, is it legal to go to a public forest for target practice/to shoot off a few rounds? I've heard conflicting answers, some saying no, others saying yes, others saying yes but only if you have a hunting license, others saying it is only legal on private land where you have landowners written approval, and so on. If anyone has experience in this, it would be much appreciated.

I'd also love recommendations for outdoor ranges near-ish to Somerset County, good for newbies like me.

I wasn't sure where to post this, please excuse me if I have posted it in the wrong forum.

I have no experience with this nor would i go to a random forest and shoot not knowing what is in every direction and a what distance. Where in NJ are you moving? I would look into one of the clubs and or ranges around where you live. Central Jersey Rifle and pistol club has everything ill ever need

Probably the best choice for an outdoor range would be Easton , PA . It is affordable and about an hour ride from Somerset area.

https://www.efga.net/

As for shooting on other public or private property it varies greatly by township . You would need to check specifically with the town you want to shoot in.

That all will come later though. You will have to apply for your Firearm's Purchaser ID Card ( called FID or FPID card ) in the town you move to in order to buy a long gun.I'm not sure sure how residency status affects any of that. It may or may not depend what type of visa you are here on? I am not sure , others may know , but it is worth finding out before doing any paperwork..having a denial on your application history can be a pain.

In the meantime , if you have no familiarity with firearms ( you said you were a newbie) I suggest taking an NRA First Steps Rifle ( and/or Pistol) class . It will teach you safety and get you familiar with what you choose to shoot. You do not need anything besides valid ID to take that class , they will provide the rifle.

I am partial to Gun For Hire in Woodland Park , I have taken all my classes there and teach there occasionally .

Good luck ! When do you arrive? Oh , and you do not exactly fully get to exercise your 2A rights in NJ. You'll figure out the ins and outs of that if you hang around this forum :/

Hello friends,

I will be moving from Europe to the U.S., specifically NJ, soon. I'd like to exercise my adopted second amendment rights and acquire a firearm. I intend on purchasing a bolt-action rifle.

For my question, is it legal to go to a public forest for target practice/to shoot off a few rounds? I've heard conflicting answers, some saying no, others saying yes, others saying yes but only if you have a hunting license, others saying it is only legal on private land where you have landowners written approval, and so on. If anyone has experience in this, it would be much appreciated.

I'd also love recommendations for outdoor ranges near-ish to Somerset County, good for newbies like me.

I wasn't sure where to post this, please excuse me if I have posted it in the wrong forum.

I would definitely *not* try to shoot in any "publicly owned" NJ State forest (i.e. Wharton, Stokes, etc.).  If the land/forest is "privately owned," and you have the land owner's permission, then I'd have to check and see if there are any local or county discharge ordinances.  

Best bet might be the NJ Fish & Wildlife NWA ranges that allow .22LR rifles or muzzle loader rifles.  There is one in Hunterdon county (near Somerset) in Union Twp (do not confuse with "Union Twp." in Union County). To use a NWA range, you must have a NJ Hunting License and Rifle permit. But they are easy to obtain. This website will give you all the info you need to get your license and where you can use it.  There are other private ranges also. If you're willing to go all the way to Pennsylvania, there's a nice range called EGFA in Easton, just across the Delaware. River. Only $30.00 initiation + $30.00/yr annual dues.  

Be sure to learn all the gun laws in NJ (it's :crazy:)... Buy this book   NJ Gun Law 2014 - Evan Nappen.  It will help keep you out of trouble. :)

Good Luck and Welcome to the "horror." :D

Thank you for the answers everyone. I should make note that the rifle in question will likely be a Mosin and shoot surplus 7,62x54r. Are these accepted at most ranges?

If anyone has any more ideas or information about going out to pop a few rounds in the forest, I'm all ears.

The WHERE part of the equation is in need of an answer prior to my recommendation.  I have shot in the Pines of South Jersey and no one cares if a rifleman is practicing on a bolt-action rifle.  7.62 x 54R is an OUTSIDE gun, and most older ranges won't allow high powered rifles inside anyway (which in my mind is a GOOD thing).  Use that same area for several Mall Ninjas w/ AR's going full speed at once and they're liable to call the Cops to investigate.  KNOW both your neighbors AND the laws where you live and be safe and friendly.

So WHERE are you trying to move to?????????

Dave

The WHERE part of the equation is in need of an answer prior to my recommendation.  I have shot in the Pines of South Jersey and no one cares if a rifleman is practicing on a bolt-action rifle.  7.62 x 54R is an OUTSIDE gun, and most older ranges won't allow high powered rifles inside anyway (which in my mind is a GOOD thing).  Use that same area for several Mall Ninjas w/ AR's going full speed at once and they're liable to call the Cops to investigate.  KNOW both your neighbors AND the laws where you live and be safe and friendly.

So WHERE are you trying to move to?????????

Dave

Hey,

Long Branch for the time being.

Hello friends,

Gun ownership may be limited to you depending on your status.

-J1

-H1B

-L-2

- Green Card

- US Citizen

Keep that in mind.

As for shooting in a forest I wouldn't do that if I were you. There s a number if ranges where you can get a membership and shoot.

Some are below 100$ a year some cost much more.

Gun ownership may be limited to you depending on your status.

-J1

-H1B

-L-2

- Green Card

- US Citizen

Keep that in mind.

As for shooting in a forest I wouldn't do that if I were you. There s a number if ranges where you can get a membership and shoot.

Some are below 100$ a year some cost much more.

As I understand, as a legal permanent resident (ie. green card holder) I'm entitled to own guns provided that I apply for the FPID card and provide proof of 3 months of continuous residency in the State of New Jersey at the time of purchase. This is specific to "long guns" only, I'm not sure if you need to provide something when you apply for a handgun purchase permit.

The reason I'm so enthralled with going shooting in the forest is that it'd be really nice to just go to the woods with the wife, rifle on the back, enjoy the beautiful lush greens and changing leaves, shoot a few rounds off and pick some apples or some shit. A bit of a boyhood fantasy of mine.

I understand also that CCW is practically out of the question in NJ?

You're fine to apply for your FID then. So it seems you know that :) I believe nonimmigrant status under certain exemptions can obtain FID as well.

Yep,

He s good to go with a green card.

Non immigrants can buy long guns with a passed hunters education class. Hard to find an FFL who can do the transfer though as this is a very specific situation.

As I understand, as a legal permanent resident (ie. green card holder) I'm entitled to own guns provided that I apply for the FPID card and provide proof of 3 months of continuous residency in the State of New Jersey at the time of purchase. This is specific to "long guns" only, I'm not sure if you need to provide something when you apply for a handgun purchase permit.

The reason I'm so enthralled with going shooting in the forest is that it'd be really nice to just go to the woods with the wife, rifle on the back, enjoy the beautiful lush greens and changing leaves, shoot a few rounds off and pick some apples or some shit. A bit of a boyhood fantasy of mine.

You no longer have to show 90 day residency but you have to follow state law

https://www.atf.gov/content/Firearms/firearms-industry/FAQ-firearms

As for forest shooting, go out west. Around here its very hard to do that unless you find private property.

What part of Europe are you coming from? You dont have to answer if you re not comfortable.

You no longer have to show 90 day residency but you have to follow state law

https://www.atf.gov/content/Firearms/firearms-industry/FAQ-firearms

As for forest shooting, go out west. Around here its very hard to do that unless you find private property.

What part of Europe are you coming from? You dont have to answer if you re not comfortable.

Good to hear about the 90 day residency thing.

When you say go out west, how far west do you mean?

I'm from Stockholm, Sweden.

Good to hear about the 90 day residency thing.

When you say go out west, how far west do you mean?

I'm from Stockholm, Sweden.

As of 2 yrs ago the BATFE removed the 90 day proof of residency.

With a green card you will get delayed a bit when the FFL does the NICS check (30-45min while they look up your alien Nr).

Out west like here out west:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_lake/recreation/target_shooting.html

Sweden....cool.......i have family in Orebro :)

Välkommen - Sweden is a beautiful country, with friendly people -  and terrible gun laws. Getting out after yesterday's bad election results?

Generally speaking it is not legal to walk around in the woods with a firearm unless it is hunting season, you are hunting in an area that is legal to do so, you are properly licensed (correct license and permit for what you are hunting), and carrying a firearm that is legal for what you are hunting. That being said, there isn't anything I can think of that you can legally hunt for with a 7.62x54r  Mosin Nagant on public land in NJ, and woodchuck hunting on private land would require a built weight of 100 grains or less. You would be asking for trouble walking around with that rifle in the woods unless you are wealthy enough to buy yourself several hundred acres of land and can do this on your own property.

With a shotgun and a hunting license (in the proper season, with the correct ammo) would be a lot easier to do.

Sweden is nice indeed, but the gun laws are as you say quite terrible. It is pretty interesting considering (in comparison with Swedish gun laws) Finland, Norway and Germany all have much more liberal gun laws.

Damn shame to hear about not being able to go to the forest to shoot a few rounds off a mosin. I guess the second best thing is to find a less populated rifle range.

Hey,

Long Branch for the time being.

You are probably right between two ranges that you can shoot the mosin at. Both cjrpc and obrpc are within a half hour 40 mins of you. OB had a 100 yard rifle range (I am all most sure it is 100) while CJ had a 300 yard range both are very nice.

The state has several Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's) a few of which have rifle and shotgun ranges.  Be warned that these are specifically designed for hunting therefore there are caliber and firearm restrictions.  You may not shoot a handgun at a WMA as it is not legal for hunting (regardless of caliber).  You may shoot a 22 or 17 caliber rifle, a muzzleloader or a shotgun at many of the ranges as these ARE legal hunting loads.  The only requirement to shoot at a WMA is that ONE PERSON in your party must have a valid hunting license.  Obtaining a hunting license is fairly painless and not very expensive.

Did you know of the Ghost Rider?

I do, actually. Many hours were spent watching and discussing his videos in school when I was younger.

God damn, those ranges are expensive. Has anyone heard of "Range 14"? Seems to be $60 a year. I figure that I could eventually join one of the more exclusive clubs, but I'd like to just shoot off a few rounds at first, get a feel for it, and so on, before making a 900 dollar committment.

If anyone has any other ideas, they are much welcome as well.

I do, actually. Many hours were spent watching and discussing his videos in school when I was younger.

God damn, those ranges are expensive. Has anyone heard of "Range 14"? Seems to be $60 a year. I figure that I could eventually join one of the more exclusive clubs, but I'd like to just shoot off a few rounds at first, get a feel for it, and so on, before making a 900 dollar committment.

Also try EFGA, as stated earlier.   $30.00 initiation fee, plus $30.00 annual dues. It's just about 10 min. into PA on Interstate-78 from NJ (Phillipsburg).

those ranges are expensive.

My suggestion is that you get over here first and then get a fell of the place and this hobby.

It's not a cheap hobby by no means and NJ has high living costs as well.

Also count on what you ll spend on gas and tolls to get to where you ll be shooting.

You ll discover that the 129$ spend on a mosin is minuscule related to the above costs and the ammo. Also you ll probably want to get more than a mosin after a while like a handgun/shotgun or something.

Range 14 is 60$ a year plus 3$ an hour I believe and you ll drive a bit I get there.

I m sure the a few people can guest you in at their range and then you can see if you want to make the investment.

My fault I always forget range 14 also a nice range limited hours and not private but you are right very much cheaper. It is on the joint base Dix McGuire Lakehurst. You would definitely be able to shoot the mosin there also not sure how long the range is but I know they have pistol rifle and I believe skeet

Good to hear. Thank you for your help everyone.

I figured I'd also ask if anyone knows if it is easier to find a Mosin (of the 91/30 variant) in a gun store in NJ or if I should turn toward a big supplier and do an FFL transfer?

Are you in the US already? I thought this site blocked access from outside the US............

I have an M44 and a M38 in stock at this time. 91/30's can be ordered easily.