gunguy1960

blood test to own or purchase guns

Todays drudge report announced a blood test to detect clinical depression. To "enhance" the mental health backround check already done with your paperwork, I could see this being done, especially now that your medical records are electronically in the governments possession already. The study says 18 weeks of therapy and the levels got better, so the law would still give you a way to work towards approval, and then they would just monitor you.

Todays drudge report announced a blood test to detect clinical depression. To "enhance" the mental health backround check already done with your paperwork, I could see this being done, especially now that your medical records are electronically in the governments possession already. The study says 18 weeks of therapy and the levels got better, so the law would still give you a way to work towards approval, and then they would just monitor you.

I guess HIPPA laws would, somehow, be circumvented???  :crazy:

It's impossible and unlikely it would ever happen. There is no "blood test" that can diagnose "clinical depression". Someone can be clinically depressed by DSM standards without having any physiological issues so it makes zero sense. Not to say antis have any sense about them. Furthermore, even the ACLU would come out against this I believe, if for no other reason that the slippery slope it creates.

A little reality check: there are early reports of a blood test that can identify certain levels in the blood that can help with a diagnosis of depression, but more importantly, can aid in tailoring the treatment for the individual's particular neurochemistry. The idea that this could be used as a screen before purchasing a firearm is frankly, ridiculous.

Ok, so I just went back and read the actual research paper that described the blood test. The short version is they tested only 32 people who were already diagnosed with clinical depression and found a few markers that were associated with the depression. The markers and test are not part of a standard blood panel and is only really used in a research setting. This has not been replicated or tested on a larger scale. This is far from ready for prime time and should not even be a remote concern for gun rights.

By the way, I hold a Masters in Neuroscience and work in neurology and psychology research.

Ok, so I just went back and read the actual research paper that described the blood test. The short version is they tested only 32 people who were already diagnosed with clinical depression and found a few markers that were associated with the depression. The markers and test are not part of a standard blood panel and is only really used in a research setting. This has not been replicated or tested on a larger scale. This is far from ready for prime time and should not even be a remote concern for gun rights.

By the way, I hold a Masters in Neuroscience and work in neurology and psychology research.

The test not being ready, accurate, or useful won't prevent some of the hoplophobes in Trenton from howling for it.

The test not being ready, accurate, or useful won't prevent some of the hoplophobes in Trenton from howling for it.

We have a law on the books mandating gun technology when it becomes available so I see no reason why they can't mandate a blood test now for when / if it becomes available.  They can look like winners to the anti crowd today and worry about the realities tomorrow.

My doctor said screw all this government bs. Him and his brother, also a doctor, said they refuse to do any of this and would rather pay the fines. He's Pro2A as well as hates government intervention of any sort. He mentions that over the years, they've screwed enough stuff up.

Thank goodness he's my doctor... :)

My doctor said screw all this government bs. Him and his brother, also a doctor, said they refuse to do any of this and would rather pay the fines. He's Pro2A as well as hates government intervention of any sort. He mentions that over the years, they've screwed enough stuff up.

Thank goodness he's my doctor... :)

Might want to recommend him to us. Can always use people like that.

Anyone who thinks this supposed "test" can work or attempts to have it adopted anywhere in the country can go straight to hell on the horse they rode in on. 

Aside from the obvious violation of our constitutional rights, this sort of BS reeks of universal testing for ANY genetic disorder, medical condition, medications taken, etc. including drinking a beer!

Is it just me, or does it seem as if every few days there is another stupid idea or veiled threat launched against normal, law abiding citizens? 

Anyone who thinks this supposed "test" can work or attempts to have it adopted anywhere in the country can go straight to hell on the horse they rode in on. 

Aside from the obvious violation of our constitutional rights, this sort of BS reeks of universal testing for ANY genetic disorder, medical condition, medications taken, etc. including drinking a beer!

Is it just me, or does it seem as if every few days there is another stupid idea or veiled threat launched against normal, law abiding citizens? 

It doesn't really matter what you think, you'll do what you are told.

If I told you 10 years ago you'd carry a device that tracks your location in real time you say that's BS. Now you do. If I told you that you'd have government healthcare, you'd say no you wouldn't. You do. Now.

It doesn't really matter what you think, you'll do what you are told.

If I told you 10 years ago you'd carry a device that tracks your location in real time you say that's BS. Now you do. If I told you that you'd have government healthcare, you'd say no you wouldn't. You do. Now.

Really?  You do not know me at all and made a broad generalization about what I know and how I would act. 

If the testing scenario being discussed here ever came to pass, I would NOT do "what I am told", I would rather give up my right to own firearms than "obey orders" and submit to an illegal, unconstitutional violation of my rights and personal ethos. 

Regardless of your opinion, my thoughts do matter, perhaps not to you or to those who seek to limit my rights.  My thoughts, advice and counsel are routinely solicited by senior corporate executives who pay for my services - my thoughts.  My family and friends also benefit from my input in a different, more personal setting. 

For the record, if you told me about your technology predictions 10 years ago, I would not have said it was BS.  While working for IBM (Watson Labs and IBM Global Services specifically), I saw firsthand the prototypes for many of today’s mainstream devices and technology advances.  Some are not yet here, others are already in use. My point is simple, you are not the only one who is informed.

As for Government healthcare, it’s not new; it's socialized medical care and was implemented in countries such as the UK, Canada and France years ago in various forms.  Yes, it exists today in the USA (unfortunately) but I refuse to take part in it and go to great lengths and incur high costs simply to keep out of any government subsided plans.

Bottom line, I exercise my free will and choose my actions as opposed to simply doing "what I am told" to do.

Really?  You do not know me at all and made a broad generalization about what I know and how I would act. 

If the testing scenario being discussed here ever came to pass, I would NOT do "what I am told", I would rather give up my right to own firearms than "obey orders" and submit to an illegal, unconstitutional violation of my rights and personal ethos. 

Regardless of your opinion, my thoughts do matter, perhaps not to you or to those who seek to limit my rights.  My thoughts, advice and counsel are routinely solicited by senior corporate executives who pay for my services - my thoughts.  My family and friends also benefit from my input in a different, more personal setting. 

For the record, if you told me about your technology predictions 10 years ago, I would not have said it was BS.  While working for IBM (Watson Labs and IBM Global Services specifically), I saw firsthand the prototypes for many of today’s mainstream devices and technology advances.  Some are not yet here, others are already in use. My point is simple, you are not the only one who is informed.

As for Government healthcare, it’s not new; it's socialized medical care and was implemented in countries such as the UK, Canada and France years ago in various forms.  Yes, it exists today in the USA (unfortunately) but I refuse to take part in it and go to great lengths and incur high costs simply to keep out of any government subsided plans.

Bottom line, I exercise my free will and choose my actions as opposed to simply doing "what I am told" to do.

Do you have health insurance? It's government health insurance.

Do you carry a cell phone?

Do you have health insurance? It's government health insurance.

Do you carry a cell phone?

What does that have to do with the statement you made below?

"It doesn't really matter what you think, you'll do what you are told."

My health insurance is not government insurance, its private insurance made available through my employer who is self insured.  I pay the premiums to my employer. They in turn pay the medical and dental claims through a bonded fund held in escrow and do not participate in any commercial or government plan. 

My previous post should have answered your assertion regarding cell phone technology.