NYMetsFan86

Does anyone practice IDPA at CJRPC?

Hello,

I cannot get a hold of an admin to join the CJRPC threads so I figured i'd put it in the competition section.

Does anyone bring there own targets/barricades to practice IDPA or USPSA in the pits? Barring the draw from holster issue, it would still be good to shoot from cover, while kneeling, etc. Any input? Id like to bring a few idpa targets and a training partner.

I am aware that matches are the best practice...

I don't own any actual barricades or fences or anything like that  but I have set up multiple targets and classifier stages to shoot.  El Prez is one of my favorites.

Keep in mind that all rounds must impact the rear berm and all targets need to be setup within 8 feet of the berm, so basically no side targets or shots into the ground or into the side berms.  

You can fashion a decent barricade out of a tarp and staple that to a target stand.  Cut a hole in it and you've got a port.  

We'll set up 5 targets and run very mini/basic stages.  You can also kneel behind a table to simulate cover. 

There are plenty of drills you can practice that will help you in IDPA/USPSA without setting up stages.  Tap/Rack/Bang and slide lock reloads are 2 off the top of my head.

Have tried shooting while advancing?

I don't own any actual barricades or fences or anything like that  but I have set up multiple targets and classifier stages to shoot.  El Prez is one of my favorites.

Keep in mind that all rounds must impact the rear berm and all targets need to be setup within 8 feet of the berm, so basically no side targets or shots into the ground or into the side berms.  

You can fashion a decent barricade out of a tarp and staple that to a target stand.  Cut a hole in it and you've got a port.  

We'll set up 5 targets and run very mini/basic stages.  You can also kneel behind a table to simulate cover. 

There are plenty of drills you can practice that will help you in IDPA/USPSA without setting up stages.  Tap/Rack/Bang and slide lock reloads are 2 off the top of my head.

Have tried shooting while advancing?

awesome input. I just read the by laws and they say 10 feet from the berm so that helps a bit. I intended to do exactly as you said, ill set things up so I can advance and am always shooting directly into the berm, Practicing reloads as well.

If you guys do that again any time soon please PM me, would love to join in

After i have some experience and obtain an SO cert than i'd like to talk to the BOD about having IDPA matches there. I figured there are none there because there is not enough interest in running them, i could be wrong though

They had IDPA but the match director stopped running them, I assume due to lack of interest.  They also had events at Old Bridge that ceased for that very reason and someone recently stepped up to run them and so they are going again.  

I may go on Saturday to practice and if so I'll pm you.  

FYI...members only steel on Sunday.  

They had IDPA but the match director stopped running them, I assume due to lack of interest.  They also had events at Old Bridge that ceased for that very reason and someone recently stepped up to run them and so they are going again.  

I may go on Saturday to practice and if so I'll pm you.  

FYI...members only steel on Sunday.  

awesome thank you. Ill be there saturday to practice for sure. I would love to do steel sunday but ill be in somerset for IDPA, maybe next month though

Do you have a holster and magazine pouches?

You don't need a Special Use Badge to wear a holster and use with an unloaded gun.  I'd recommend that while practicing, unless you planned to stash the gun in the pocket of your hoodie. : )

You can practice drawing (unloaded) and magazine changes all day long.  Hell...I do it at home in my bedroom. lol

I'd also practice reloads both on slide lock and with retention.  You can drop an emply magazine but will get penalties for dropping a loaded magazine in IDPA.  It's different than USPSA.  I got crazy penalties the one and only time I shot it.  Ask Pizza Bob.  Twas a sight. lol

The 10 feet from berm is only for the cement pits, for safety as a hit to the cement wall will send debris flying. Those I think are only 15 yards deep. If you see them the restriction makes sense. There are also dirt berm pits (most are 25 yard but 2 are longer) which is where they have the matches. There are more than double the pits in CJ than OB.

The special badge is also for safety, you just need to show participation in 3 events to get it. OB also makes you attend matches for safety.

The 10 feet from berm is only for the cement pits, for safety as a hit to the cement will send debris flying. The special badge is also for safety, you just need to show participation in 3 events to get it.

So your saying in the 75yd

pit the targets are not necessarily restricted to 10th? Do the 3 matches have to be club matches?

So your saying in the 75yd pit the targets are not necessarily restricted to 10th? Do the 3 matches have to be club matches?

The matches can be from any club in any holster drawing event. I had a Shongum uspsa, an OB idpa, and a CJ steel for mine.

For the grass pits the impact does need to be in the back berm.

special badge? 10 feet from berm only? no drawing from holster? 

....shoulda joined old bridge. 

You qualify to draw from a holster after 3 supervised events.  

Old Bridge may have an advantage if you can fire into the side berms or into the ground (lay down targets) asssuming you have them and want to set them up.

All of these rules apply only for individual practice.  The rules change for sanctioned and supervised events like the monthly USPSA shoots.

Old Bridge also has an advantage in that they don't restrict, at least not that I'm aware, guests from drawing from the holster.  

Old Bridge has some very nice things about the club.  So does CJ.

So your saying in the 75yd pit the targets are not necessarily restricted to 10th? Do the 3 matches have to be club matches?

Its my understanding that all targets must be 8 or 10 feet from the rear berm in all pits and all shots must go to the rear berm whether it be in the pits (all purpose ranges) or on the 300, 200 or 50 foot pistol.  Rules change for sanctioned events and shots can go into side berms but they still don't want shots into the ground. 

I don't believe that the events have to be at the club.  An email to the President would clarify that and I'd suggest you do so.  I believe that I qualified with 2 events at CJ and one (indoor) at Old Bridge.

The matches can be from any club in any holster drawing event. I had a Shongum uspsa, an OB idpa, and a CJ steel for mine. For the grass pits the impact does need to be in the back berm.

email response from Bob Roddy...

Evan:

We require you to compete in CJRPC matches so our match directors can make sure you are safe. As such you cannot submit match results from other matches. Sorry, but that's the rules.

-Bob Roddy

At least now I know and can get the ball rolling

Evan:

We require you to compete in CJRPC matches so our match directors can make sure you are safe. As such you cannot submit match results from other matches. Sorry, but that's the rules.

-Bob Roddy

I argued that point with them when I went in because one of my matches was uspsa at OB and Vlad the MD for CJ uspsa did my safety briefing so they took it but they did try to tell me they all had to be at CJ

Evan:

-Bob Roddy

Sunday is members only steel come out and shoot center fire pistol and draw from a holster it I a quick match over by 1130 12 most of the time

The 10 feet from berm is only for the cement pits, for safety as a hit to the cement wall will send debris flying. Those I think are only 15 yards deep. If you see them the restriction makes sense. There are also dirt berm pits (most are 25 yard but 2 are longer) which is where they have the matches. There are more than double the pits in CJ than OB. The special badge is also for safety, you just need to show participation in 3 events to get it. OB also makes you attend matches for safety.

I believe the 10 ft from the berm is for all pits including the longer ones.  That rule is for everyone every day except for a match.  At least that is my understanding.  You would have to check with the BOD to be sure.

I believe the 10 ft from the berm is for all pits including the longer ones.  That rule is for everyone every day except for a match.  At least that is my understanding.  You would have to check with the BOD to be sure.

I did it anyway and the earth did not stop rotating, nor did any rounds go anywhere other than the back berm . IDPA Targets at all different distances, while still ensuring everything hit the berm. Nobody shooting near us blew the whistle.  If i get kicked out of CJRPC for shit like that ill go to old bridge I guess. ....Two targets next to each other at 5 yards in front of the table, on the beep engage both with two shots tactical sequence. Move to cover 7 to 9 yards in front of table (dead center pit). Engage 1 target  from left side of cover and 2 from right , ring steel twice to end run. We set up a few different stages that day, and only those first two targets engaged without cover were not within 10 foot compliance rule, the others were. Had tons of fun while being safe.