Sign in to follow this  
Carcano

NJ Multiple Handgun Exemption?

Fair enough. What's confusing is, why does it matter to NJ ? One cannot take possession of them without P2Ps anyways.

But then again, the whole OGAM doesn't follow commonsense and logic.

When you pickup the guns the approved exemption form with the make/cal/serial for each gun must match, I have a feeling it's to prevent someone from getting the approval and tampering with the form (adding guns on that were NOT approved).

OGAM is a joke, if you have 10 P2P's and want to purchase 10 Glocks you should be able to without waiting. Of course this state lacks common sense ;)

The delay is most likely with your local PD. The old town I lived in exemptions would take 2 and half to 5 weeks to get back because they would hold them until they had a lot of other stuff to mail to the FIU. My new town sends it in right away and I got one back in 8 days, the longest has been around two weeks. Your town probably sat on it for a while.

They pulled my folder/file out and showed me the forms were not there. My application is approved but they will not give me my permits until they get it back.I am thinking it got lost somewhere and I am sure the NJSP knows that answer.

They pulled my folder/file out and showed me the forms were not there. My application is approved but they will not give me my permits until they get it back.I am thinking it got lost somewhere and I am sure the NJSP knows that answer.

The PD is breaking the law, if the application is approved they must issue the permits to you regardless of the exemption.

The PD is breaking the law, if the application is approved they must issue the permits to you regardless of the exemption.

I know they are but I am not wanting to stir the pot at the moment. They would only give me 3 of the 10 I asked for without an approved

exemption. I can't do anything if I had the 3 permits anyway as I applied for 10 handguns on the exemption and that's how many permits I

asked for.

I showed up at the PD today during the hours requested in the voice mail I received, nobody to hand over the permits only the Sgt. can :(

Gotta wait a few more days..bunch of BS

FYI, when you do get them check the issue date and see how many days have elapsed since they were actually issued.

(FYI - For Your Irritation)

FYI, when you do get them check the issue date and see how many days have elapsed since they were actually issued.

(FYI - For Your Irritation)

Probably close to two weeks right now, I feel like calling and bitching for the Sgt to call me back but that might make things worse...

I'll call in the AM.

NJ suc...you know the rest ;)

What do you write for complexion on the form?

?did you mean completion?

The FFL I use told me to photocopy the form before handing it in to the PD so if it goes missing you can turn in the photocopy. Do not ink it (sign the form) before photocopying it and sign the photocopy if you need to turn it in again.

?did you mean completion?

The FFL I use told me to photocopy the form before handing it in to the PD so if it goes missing you can turn in the photocopy. Do not ink it (sign the form) before photocopying it and sign the photocopy if you need to turn it in again.

The box next to hair color on SP015

I wrote down "Light" for complexion, but I don't know what you look like.  I guess "Fair" or "Dark" would also suffice.

My paperwork also had to be tracked down at the PD.  They aren't accustomed to dealing with it in general....

Instead of Caucasian I wrote "WHITE" on the exemption and P2P/FPID application, the PD didn't mind though I'm guessing it is not politically correct.

Placeholder post, so I can find this thread again easily.

I put money down on a pair of Ruger Vaquero .45LC/ACP convertibles today and left the dealer's shop with his portion of the SP016 completed.

Now I need to do the SP015 exemption form and submit both to my local PD with an app for more PPPs.

But the dealer was of a different mind on the 30 day clock than I remembered the discussion on this thread ages ago.

I'll let you know what the 2015 interpretation of the NJSP turns out to be about an exempted multi-handgun purchase in regards to the 30 day clock ticking prior to the purchase.

so i was considering doing the exemption...and was in the midst of filing it out and going to print and take to my dealer in the "exemption sought" none of them really apply....

the pistols i am purchasing are from a person that owned them and not inherited....they are not "collectable" and I'm not a "designated collector" ....not are they "competition pistols needed for competition" they are simply 3 pistols if i bought together the seller was going to make a sweetheart deal....but doesn't want to wait 90+ days .......what is everyone choosing for a situation like this?

then further down are the boxes "reason for exemption request(must be filled out)" and "supporting documents (if applicable) this is on sp 015.....then it says "Completed and signed "Seller/Transferor Certification" forms (S.P. 016) from each seller of each handgun listed must accompany this exemption application. ".....   so both forms need to be filled out then?

yes reading more closely further down the "collector" option it opens up to more than a collector.....but where the empty box is "REASON FOR EXEMPTION REQUEST (MUST be Completed):" what is everyone writing in there? seems as though its already answered by checking the box above?

thanks....just wanted to ask what others have used and been approved with......the obvious "because the ogam is total horseshit" probably wouldn't work lol...and with nj "justifiable need" i figured something as simple as "enhancement of my collection" was far too simplistic

It will also not hurt to mention each and every firearm or 2A organization you belong to. This helps to establish you are a firearms enthusiast, and not just purchasing three off.

Your reason is "Enhancement of my collection"

Short, sweet and works as good as any.  I did exemption paperwork last year and this worked just fine. 

thanks....just wanted to ask what others have used and been approved with......the obvious "because the ogam is total horseshit" probably wouldn't work lol...and with nj "justifiable need" i figured something as simple as "enhancement of my collection" was far too simplistic

Simple is often better, as long as you are not buying same make/model in bulk. 

so i was considering doing the exemption...and was in the midst of filing it out and going to print and take to my dealer in the "exemption sought" none of them really apply....

the pistols i am purchasing are from a person that owned them and not inherited....they are not "collectable" and I'm not a "designated collector" ....not are they "competition pistols needed for competition" they are simply 3 pistols if i bought together the seller was going to make a sweetheart deal....but doesn't want to wait 90+ days .......what is everyone choosing for a situation like this?

then further down are the boxes "reason for exemption request(must be filled out)" and "supporting documents (if applicable) this is on sp 015.....then it says "Completed and signed "Seller/Transferor Certification" forms (S.P. 016) from each seller of each handgun listed must accompany this exemption application. ".....   so both forms need to be filled out then?

I asked Ira at Legend Firearms about this when I had mine done, he told me purchasing a mix of new (modern) and vintage handguns was fine and sure enough the Unit Head at NJSP Firearms Unit signed off on it. Actually, my permits took weeks and the exemption took under a week if I remember correctly.

I wrote: "I collect new and vintage handguns". That's all I wrote, no issues and yes I do collect.

The only issue was the Somers Point Police Department calling Ira and asking if the pistols were "assault weapons" or something along those lines and he had to reassure whoever handles the permits in my town that were just handguns and nothing more.

I purchased:

2 x P64 9x18 Mak pistols

2 x Tokarev TTC pistols

1 x S&W 59 9x19

1 x Glock 22

NICS was fine, no knock on the door from the men in black even though dealers have to submit a multiple purchase report to ATF.