Sign in to follow this  
notchbackgta

S1287

Feel good ink to paper, So someone can say hey I tried.

It was refered to the Senate Law and public Safety committee.   Gone, Buried and dead just like any bill involving NJ CCW Laws.

(unless its a bill to worsen current wording)

NJ2AS is asking for folks to get behind this bill and contact legislators to get them to move it.

*** TIME TO PUT OUR SUPPORT BEHIND S1287 ‪#‎nj2as‬ ‪#‎tcot‬

CITIZENS PROTECTION ACT!

STATEMENT

This bill, the "Citizens' Protection Act," revises and simplifies the procedures for securing a permit to carry a handgun in the State of New Jersey.
Under the provisions of the bill, an applicant for a permit to carry a handgun would be entitled to that permit so long as he can demonstrate competence with a firearm and is not statutorily disqualified. To demonstrate that competence, the applicant would be required to include, as part of his application for the permit, a copy indicating his successful completion of a firearms safety or training course or class offered by a law enforcement agency, an educational institution, the military, or the National Rifle Association. An applicant who holds a permit to carry is deemed competent and need not submit such evidence.
Among the disqualifications set forth in the bill are the statutory disabilities which currently prohibit an individual from obtaining either a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card: a crime involving controlled substances; a condition involving chronic and habitual alcoholic or drug abuse; or some other physical or mental condition or disease which would make it unsafe for the individual to obtain a permit to carry a handgun.
The bill also extends the term during which a permit to carry remains valid. At present, a permit to carry remains valid for two years; under this bill, a permit would be valid for five years.
Finally, the bill deletes subsection b. of N.J.S.2C:39-2 which provided that with regard to any firearm permit or license, an individual was deemed to be in violation of the law "until he establishes the contrary." This approach is inconsistent with traditional American legal jurisprudence and, therefore, should be ended.
In its current form, the law governing the issuance of permits to carry a handgun requires an applicant to demonstrate to the Superior Court a "justifiable need" in order to obtain a such permit. The court's interpretation of what constitutes a "justifiable need" makes it virtually impossible for citizens of New Jersey to obtain permits to carry.
The "right-to-carry" can serve as a significant deterrent to crime. An analysis of the nation's 30 "right-to-carry" states has revealed a significant reduction in crime in those states compared with the national average. For example, aggravated assaults are 19.4 percent lower in "right-to-carry" states; robbery is 38.4 percent lower; homicide is 37.9 percent lower; and handgun homicide is 41.1 percent lower. In California, where the "right-to-carry" is permitted in certain counties, a comparison of the crime rates in those counties with those which do not permit their residents to carry reveals lower crime rates in the "right-to-carry" counties. Similarly, Florida has experienced lower crime rates since enacting its "right-to-carry" statute. The homicide rate in Florida has dropped 22 percent; the handgun homicide rate is down 29 percent. Finally, even convicted robbers have indicated that if they suspected that a potential victim might be armed they would probably look for someone else to rob.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bills/S1500/1287_I1.HTM

Just do it. They will likely do nothing about it but our voice will be heard. At least they'll start talking.

Chris Christie has ignored every fax, email and phone call I sent about CCW until the other day out of the blue he replied to me. So nothing is impossible. 

Just do it. They will likely do nothing about it but our voice will be heard. At least they'll start talking.

Chris Christie has ignored every fax, email and phone call I sent about CCW until the other day out of the blue he replied to me. So nothing is impossible. 

Ryan,

If you don't mind can you give us an idea of what his reply stated?

Yep. Same thing. 

Office of the Governor

Office of Constituent Relations

Post Office Box 001

Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0001

GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE ELECTRONIC RESPONSE

September 17, 2014

Mr. Ryan A. Jairam

Sussex, New Jersey 07461-3051

Dear Mr. Jairam:

Thank you for writing to me regarding the issuing of concealed carry gun permits.   I appreciate hearing your views on this issue. 

Please know that changing a law would require legislation.  As such, you may want to contact your legislative representatives and make them aware of your concerns. You may obtain legislators' contact information through the State Legislative website at: www.njleg.state.nj.us. If any bills on this matter pass both Houses of the Legislature, I will consider carefully all the comments received on this issue. 

Thank you again for writing.  Best wishes. 

Sincerely,

Chris Christie

Governor

"If any bills pass both houses of the legislature"....and what are the odds of that happening? 

Just another "Thanks for writing and remember when you cast your vote in 2016, someone who works for me acknowledged your existence!!!"

Yep thats all it takes on the side of the AG.

I cant believe that Christie doesnt realize how much of A feather in his cap that real CCW, For real citizens in this state would be for him.

You have to remember, CC was US Atty. for NJ. In essence, a LEO and based in Newark, of all places. I suspect that if he could vote his conscience (without consideration of political implications), he would most likely vote "anti" all the way.  

You have to remember, CC was US Atty. for NJ. In essence, a LEO and based in Newark, of all places. I suspect that if he could vote his conscience (without consideration of political implications), he would most likely vote "anti" all the way.

Yep I agree! But how about this for his campaign slogan (If he decides to run)

Give me your vote! I'll take Away your guns, Hell folks Guns are evil!