gfl216

Remington 597 VS Marlin 795

I'm in the market for a new 22 lr semi and have pretty much narrowed  it down to the Remington 597 or the Marlin 795. Looking on youtube both have favorable reviews and seem to shoot well. The Marlin sells for around $50 to $70 less than the Remington depending on the retailer. Now I know a lot of you guys will say get a Ruger 10-22. I had one and never really liked it so I gave it to my brother. Any opinions or reviews of either rifle is appreciated and, please no youtube  links. I can go on youtube. I want to hear what  you guys think

Thanks

If I was in the market for a rifle like the two you mention, I would look real hard at the CZ-512. It's a higher quality gun and from the videos I have seen and the one I shot they are tack drivers and the fit and finish is top notch

I know you mention two different rifles but the 512 is at the top of the class. I have no idea what any of these rifles cost so this may not be a fair comparison

If I was in the market for a rifle like the two you mention, I would look real hard at the CZ-512. It's a higher quality gun and from the videos I have seen and the one I shot they are tack drivers and the fit and finish is top notch

I know you mention two different rifles but the 512 is at the top of the class. I have no idea what any of these rifles cost so this may not be a fair comparison

Damn, now my choice just got harder lol. Thanks for the tip I'll check the CZ out

I have a 597 with about 1000 res through it.  I swapped the sear for the Volquartsen which reduces the trigger pull by about 50%.  LOVE the rifle.  Its an 18" HB model (From Dicks, GASP).  Its reliable, extremely accurate and different.  I didn't want a run of the mill 10/22.  So far I'm thrilled with it.  Any questions let me know

I have a 597 with about 1000 res through it.  I swapped the sear for the Volquartsen which reduces the trigger pull by about 50%.  LOVE the rifle.  Its an 18" HB model (From Dicks, GASP).  Its reliable, extremely accurate and different.  I didn't want a run of the mill 10/22.  So far I'm thrilled with it.  Any questions let me know

Joe, any problems with the mag?

Joe, any problems with the mag?

I picked mine up January 2012 which was after the magazines had been updated. I have two, but in that 1000rds I've literally never had a misfeed.

My only malfunctions have been:

3 failures to fire, all in the same batch of Winchester Super X. My Marlin XT-22 bolt gun wouldn't fire them either

2 double fires. When it gets super dirty it'll sometimes let two fly. A quick cleaning and it's back to normal.

The ejector used to be a weak point. So I picked up a volquartsen piece when I got the trigger. The trigger takes 10min to install. The ejector more so I was too lazy to do it. No issues to this point.

Aside from the Winchester all the ammo I've put through it (AE, Federal, CCI) has shot flawlessly. Most accurate for me has been the Federal 36gr CP LRN. Indoors with a bipod off the "bench" at 75yds I can group 5 under an inch which I'm really happy with(im still pretty new at this)

I already chimed in on the other thread you started, so you know my thoughts on the 795.

Recently, I walked into Tanners and saw a Marlin 70p Papoose, Marlins takedown semi auto .22. This one was made in 1986. I had been looking for one, so I brought her home. She came with 2 7 round mags.

As I already have ten 10 round mags for my 2 795s and my XT22, I was set to go.

A few years ago I found a Marlin 989M2 on a shelf. Made in 1968 or so. I bought it and, again, as the Marlin innards are all basically the same, I was able to tap into my magazine stash.

I think this is a huge plus for the Marlin. Cheap, simple mags that feed multiple guns within the semi and bolt family. There is also a Marlin lever gun made way back when that takes the same mags. If I could find one of those......

Three years in, and after about 5,000 rounds of CCI HV, my new 795 fell apart. The magazine disconnect broke, then bar that holds the trigger spring snapped. The receiver group is held together by e-clips, and contains cheap, stamped parts; lots of plastic everywhere. I scrapped it. The new Marlin rifle did not stand up, in my experience. Yours may vary. I'm not saying don't get one; just be aware, it's a budget gun, and budget guns are built to a price point. I have two older Marlins, a 60 and a bolt gun, which I'll keep.

Other thoughts? I like Savage, and I'd take a chance on the CZ. And while the "everything tactical" movement makes me cringe, but I had a range session with an M&P 15-22, and it was a lot of fun.

I have two Remington 597s, and they are amazing firearms that get a WAY worse reputation than they deserve.

YES, The original magazines from the time this gun was born were very bad, and the "Second Generation" magazines were not a perfect fix.  The THIRD GENERATION, from 2007-2009 on, are absolutely fine and there are basically no "bad" mags on the market anymore.

The other problem with the 597 is the extractor sucks - my first 597 came out of the box not running very well at all, borderline terrible.  I wound up spending the $60 bucks on the Volquartsen internal upgrades - $20 for the "Exact Edge Extractor" and $40 for the "Target Hammer" - and I cannot state in strong enough terms the results: The rifle is absolutely amazing.  And I mean amazing.  I have not had a single issue in 1000s and 1000s of rounds since I did the replacements, and the accuracy of this rifle is superb.  Remington spent a lot of money on the barrels of the 597.. the stock "sporter' barrel is one of the finest 'production' rimfire barrels in  American-made guns you will find in any close to this price range- and the Heavy Barrel is literally superb.  I bought the HB model for my Dad for Christmas last year - and I ordered the Volquartsen parts as well which I replaced immediately after giving them to him.  This rifle is like the thing you'd want to have at a Boardwalk- literally can "Shoot out the star" at the indoor ranges 25yd line, it is absolutely amazing.

Do I recognize it's nowhere near the popularity of the 10/22?  Absolutely, but I have said it before and I will say it again- I DID NOT WANT a 10/22.  Everyone can have fun with theirs and enjoy membership in the 10/22 cult.. I wanted nothing to do with that.  Having said that ,a little bit of love goes a LOOOOONG way in the Remington 597s, I have two that function flawlessly and always get questions at the range, what is it you have that is so accurate and so flawless in it's operation?

And also for the record, I have 10 10-rd magazines (Factory Remington 10 rders) that work just fine, plus 2 Remington brand 30rd mags since I moved to FL, a clear and a black.  All flawless.  If you just give this rifle a little bit of a chance and a little bit of TLC it will reward you big big time.

I concur also about Savage... while I cannot speak to the semiautomatic 64, I have the MKII which is basically the same rifle without the gas system, 64s are semi and MKIIs are bolt-action. The GXP model I bought is a Dick's Sporting Goods combo package special... G stands for wooden stock (which IMHO is REALLY nice!) ANd the XP means combo pack rifle with scope. I put a sweet Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm BDC scope on it, and some extra mags, other than that bone stock. Simply amazingly accurate and reliable for such a cheap price. MSRP 199.99 and I got it for sale price of 149.99 ....almost stealing.

The best part is it shoots absolutely any .22lr so I can take chances on buying any 22 I can find. If my 597s, 15-22, or M&P22C can't shoot it or chokes with it, I just shoot it in the MKII.

The 64 is I believe identically priced and similar models as the MKII, just semiautomatic. You might really like them, especially since Savage is known for accuracy and value pricing.

I had a 795 and it was a great little gun.  I had a cheap scope on it and it was pretty damn acurate out to 100 yards easy.  I think I had one fail to fire in like 2000 rounds and it was prob the ammo's fault.  No other issues at all.