Mikeythumbs

Ruger mkii problem

Anybody ever have a bad extractor or dirty extractor cause misfires in their mkii. Had it at the range today and after a few mags was getting a misfire every third round or so. This gun is usually very reliable and it was with Winchester HVHP bulk a round it has fed with no issues before. The thing that makes me think it was an extractor issue was the round would FTE when I racked the bolt. I coul also see they were light strikes. Gonna break it down tonight and see just wondering what else to look for

My 22/45 had a similar problem.  When I reassembled it I didn't do somethign correctly.  I took thhe thing all the way apart, cleaned - lubed and carefully reassembled it and it was fine afterward.  Wolff Springs has performance springs for the MKII just in case you need to go that route. 

I  replaced the extractor on my MKII when it started doing that.   I can't say how many rounds had been through the gun because I bought it used, but I had put at least another 5k though after I bought it.  It has had probably 1500 through it since the replacement part and I've had no issues.

Thanks it just cropped up the gun looks a little dirty around the breach face so I am thinking it just needs a good cleaning

The breech face was the first thing I thought of when you said light strikes combined with extraction issues. Clean it up and try it again.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I would say it is a dirty bolt and/or chamber.  Same thing just happened to me. Took it to the range to use while giving an orientation.  Would not fire or extract.  Brought it home and broke down the bolt completely.  Dirty firing pin, extractor, and extractor cut in barrel. That along with lube that looked a little funky.  After cleaning works perfectly.  Never had it before.  This after using Winchester M-22 ammo for the first time. 

Thanks Malsua I have probably about 5000 or so through it by now one of my favorite guns to shoot might order a new Valquartsen one if the good cleaning does not work

I had exactly the same problem.  A detailed cleaning and it is like a new pistol.

95% of the time, residue buildup causes the symptoms you describe - especially if you apply oil type lubricants on the bolt. The oil keeps the considerable gunk from 22's from falling away.

Clean the bolt face with a brush and pick http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/and do not use oil on the surface.

I put a drop on each side of the bolt not near the face just to keep it slick use Wilson combat oil. So just run it dry. Think I want to do a full disassembly and replace some parts but don't have the money for upgrades right now

Just put in a Valquartsen extractor and you will be good for another 500k rounds! I also changed out my very old firing pin spring while everything was in pieces. I also polished the flats on the pin. Should be good for 20 years when it gets its next cleaning.

The volquartsen extractor is so much better than the ruger part. Made mine 100% reliable with any brand ammo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The stock Ruger extractor sometimes has imperfections at the edge. I usually stone the lower edge just to take the burr off. If you want to eliminate the magazine interlock, do not buy any parts. You can grind off a tab on the OEM interlock and it lets you drop the hammer without the mag - free. If the bolt face is not too fouled, you should not have any problems. Also check the bolt travel [without the spring]. It should slide out by itself if you tip the gun to the ceiling. Sometimes there is considerable friction from rough edges on the bolt and its housing. buff these smooth to ensure good performance with the weakest ammo.

The stock Ruger extractor sometimes has imperfections at the edge. I usually stone the lower edge just to take the burr off. If you want to eliminate the magazine interlock, do not buy any parts. You can grind off a tab on the OEM interlock and it lets you drop the hammer without the mag - free. If the bolt face is not too fouled, you should not have any problems. Also check the bolt travel [without the spring]. It should slide out by itself if you tip the gun to the ceiling. Sometimes there is considerable friction from rough edges on the bolt and its housing. buff these smooth to ensure good performance with the weakest ammo.

Thanks it's mkii so I don't have to worry about this disconnect. And the bolt is smooth so I will give it a shot without oil

Had something similar on my MKIII

had failures to eject once in a while

and all of a sudden every third shot

the extractor broke.

They sent me a new one at no charge no questions asked.

Put it in and it's back to its normal self.

This happened after about 1,500 rounds