intercooler

OMG food prices..geez!

Not everything is the governments fault. Some of it is water shortages, and idiots with lawns in California and market pressures and a lot of chinese who can afford to compete with you now on buying decent food, and Ukraine (who is a major food producer) being kinda screwed, and so on and so forth.

Oh and food is NOWHERE cheaper then it is in the US compared to our income levels: http://www.ibtimes.com/us-spends-less-food-any-other-country-world-maps-1546945

So while we can bitch about food going up, lets keep it in perspective.

CNN Title this morning "Get your engines ready: Americans are spending again, and that's a good sign for the economy".

Comparatively, people in other countries pay twice (or more) for the same goods and services, even after considering the exchange rates.

Over the last decade, buying power of other countries has skyrocketed and consumer mentality took over the large population in countries such as India and China.

Technology business is poised to move completely overseas within next 5 to 10 years, if not earlier. It will be what manufacturing has been. Financial industry is not far behind on the overseas business model.

Expect the prices to continue to grow while the jobs (and salaries) continue to shrink.

Proteins in general is up and rising... not only due to factors like diseases, transportation costs,feed,distribution but the emerging markets in Asia who traditionally only considered any meats and fish as seasoning but now have the resources to purchase and consume the best of North American beef,pork and global seafood as a main instead of merely just a side or token protein.

This establishes prices, availability and distribution of some of the things we take for granted as traditionally inexpensive and readily at hand and will continue to ramp up in the future.

On a related note, I was watching the show about the Bluefin Tuna fishermen on cable (I forget the name of it).  When they catch a decent sized tuna (say 250 pounds), they bring it right in to the processing plant and get about $15 to $18 per pound for a dressed fish (head and tail cut off).  These all go to Japan I assume.  Factor in the retail markup, shipping, etc, I can't even imagine what the end price is.

I just kill my own red meat, so i don't notice any price increases except in broad heads and arrows. But I have noticed produce prices are pretty crazy, especially for organic which is all we purchase in my house.

Wish I was a hunter like you so I could get my own meat fresh like that. Side note if you ever have "too much" deer meat (assuming your a deer hunter from username) I would buy some off ya if your close lol.

Wish I was a hunter like you so I could get my own meat fresh like that. Side note if you ever have "too much" deer meat (assuming your a deer hunter from username) I would buy some off ya if your close lol.

Its against the law to sell. But I can give it away, and usually do before the end of the season if its a good year. Just depends on how much I can jam into my freezer. Last year I donated two deer to hunters helping the hungry.

I'll say... the one with the "bidet/washer/dryer" etc.? :D :D :D

Your speaking of the Neorest. I have one in my master bath. The electrician looked at me like I was speaking Egyptian when I told him I needed a GFI outlet behind the toilet lol. Its an awesome fixture my a$$ is always clean and blown dry!

Wow never knew that, shows how much I know of hunting. Well if you ever get to overwhelmed shoot me a pm :) lol

Side not I have seen prices go up, I try and support a lot of local farmers by purchasing produce from them and also get my eggs from a friend who has chickens, so that helps with cost. Decent amount of local farmers by my gf parents house who have wonderful prices.

Your speaking of the Neorest. I have one in my master bath. The electrician looked at me like I was speaking Egyptian when I told him I needed a GFI outlet behind the toilet lol. Its an awesome fixture my a$$ is always clean and blown dry!

But caution.... too much "overuse" initially can result in unintended "soreness" of the worst kind... :shok:  :D

Wow never knew that, shows how much I know of hunting. Well if you ever get to overwhelmed shoot me a pm :) lol

Side not I have seen prices go up, I try and support a lot of local farmers by purchasing produce from them and also get my eggs from a friend who has chickens, so that helps with cost. Decent amount of local farmers by my gf parents house who have wonderful prices.

If I have extra meat your on the list.

side note: Reason its against the law to sell game meat or parts of the animal, is because there are scumbags out there that would try and make a living out of it. Most likely decimate our wildlife population in the process.

Believe it or not hunting is pretty expensive as well. I probably spend three times what I do to kill my own deer than it would cost to buy prime beef from the store. Licenses, permits, Clothing, equipment & gear, bait, butcher fees, ect. The list is long and expensive. Most of the stuff you buy once but there's always something else you want every season. I must say I do enjoy doing it along with successful harvest though. Its rewarding...

If I have extra meat your on the list.

side note: Reason its against the law to sell game meat or parts of the animal, is because there are scumbags out there that would try and make a living out of it. Most likely decimate our wildlife population in the process.

Believe it or not hunting is pretty expensive as well. I probably spend three times what I do to kill my own deer than it would cost to buy prime beef from the store. Licenses, permits, Clothing, equipment & gear, bait, butcher fees, ect. The list is long and expensive. Most of the stuff you buy once but there's always something else you want every season. I must say I do enjoy doing it along with successful harvest though. Its rewarding...

Interesting angle about "decimating the population." And, sadly, true.  But I had also thought of the "health risk" angle. Who knows if the meat one is buying is "inspected, safe, etc." Perhaps that problem exists in either case (paid or given away free), but especially concerning if there is someone making a profit off of it.

Interesting angle about "decimating the population." And, sadly, true. But I had also thought of the "health risk" angle. Who knows if the meat one is buying is "inspected, safe, etc." Perhaps that problem exists in either case (paid or given away free), but especially concerning if there is someone making a profit off of it.

That is another concern to be had. There's no FDA inspector in the bed of my pick up. Fish and Game recommends safe handling, quickly getting game gutted and cooled off, keeping the meat dry and clean. And also recomends freezing your meat prior to consumption. I've been eating venison since I had teeth and never had any issues or known anyone that has gotten sick. But its always best to play it safe. I still cut the loins out and grill them that day anytime I make a successful kill. I'm still here to make this post. So far so good.

On a related note, I was watching the show about the Bluefin Tuna fishermen on cable (I forget the name of it).  When they catch a decent sized tuna (say 250 pounds), they bring it right in to the processing plant and get about $15 to $18 per pound for a dressed fish (head and tail cut off).  These all go to Japan I assume.  Factor in the retail markup, shipping, etc, I can't even imagine what the end price is.

The market is off is Japan. Last year saw a record bid of abotu $1.4 million for a 489 pound fish. Same guy, same market, same time, spent only $70k for a bigger fish this year. So the bubble burst. Still it's about $138/lb. Thats even though the number of fish available declined 30% year over year. 

So...

If anyone wants free apples let me know. I have a few Apple trees and anyone is welcome to the apples because I have an over abundance. Just let me know

Deer eat apples! I'll take some as long as you don't mind what you already know I plan to use them for.;)

If anyone wants free apples let me know. I have a few Apple trees and anyone is welcome to the apples because I have an over abundance. Just let me know

Don't mind me asking, what county your in? See how close you are, I can always go for apples lol