Sign in to follow this  
scarecrow

Remington Ammo

Always see stories about guns that don't work some brands of ammo. Never experienced that myself until today. Took my new Mossberg 702 to range. Was shooting or should I say trying to shoot using Remington 325 Value Pack ammo (copper coated 36 gr. Hollow points) Could not even get though a 10 round mag without jams, double feeds, crushed cases. I assumed that I had a lemon gun on my hands. Guy next to me says, hey maybe it’s the ammo. Duh… why didn’t I think of that? He gave 10 rounds of CCI and the gun performed flawlessly. Then then the guy on the other side of me gave me 10 rounds of Winchester. Again performed flawlessly. They both said Remington 22’s suck. Don’t know if that’s true or not but sure don’t work in my Mossberg.

I've actually had issues with the Winchester HP 333 pack ammo.  Unreliable at best.  I've also had issued with Federal Auto Match, but I think I got a bad batch.  Others tried my auto match ammo and it didnt cycle in their gun either, but they used a different box of the same stuff and it worked just fine. 

Mini Mags, CCI AR Tactical, Fiocchi CPSP, Fed 325 packs, Rem Viper, Win M22..   all work pretty well in both my 22's...  

I get bigger groupings with Remington UMC ammo. But it cycles just fine in all my guns.

I've had feeding and ejecting issues with Fiochi ammo. May be a bad batch I got but the Fiochi in .40 just would not function properly in my sub2k. Every other round was an issue. Switched ammo, shot flawless. Bad batch? Maybe.

Remington rimfire ammo sucks lemons.

Pretty much same story as you with me and my original 597... none of my guns like ANY variety of Remington rimfire ammo. Until 12/12 I wouldn't buy any at all... now I take what I can get. If I happen to come across Remington .22 I'll just use it in my bolt - action and or save it for SHTF.

Federal and CCI are my preference.

I've actually had issues with the Winchester HP 333 pack ammo.  Unreliable at best.  I've also had issued with Federal Auto Match, but I think I got a bad batch.  Others tried my auto match ammo and it didnt cycle in their gun either, but they used a different box of the same stuff and it worked just fine. 

Mini Mags, CCI AR Tactical, Fiocchi CPSP, Fed 325 packs, Rem Viper, Win M22..   all work pretty well in both my 22's...  

The Winchester 333 pack I have, I wrote all over the package "NOT FOR SEMIS" - it was absolutely horrible in every single semiauto .22 I tried them in.  They are fine in my lever and bolt guns, but I never have had as many problems with ammo as I have with the Winchester 333.  Guns that have eaten every 1200fps+ ammo reliably - including Golden Bullets - couldn't get through 5 rounds of Win333 without a failure of some kind.

One of my guns - S&W 22A - loves the Golden Bullets more than any other ammo I've fed it.  That said, I purchased that gun about 3 months prior to Sandy Hook, so I have not had the opportunity to try as many variants of .22 as I'd like...but the 22A is happy with the cheapest, easiest-to-find ammo so I am OK with that for now.

My wife has a Sig Mosquito she hardly uses because of the scarcity of quality .22lr ammo. But when she does, it's only CCI Mini Mags which work flawlessly.

Generally rifles are not as picky as handguns. What are the specs of the ammo you used?