Barms

Walkie talkie

So during 9/11 and early moments of the big black out, cell phone service did not work due to volume of calls crashing the systems. Do walkie talkies work while the airwaves are flooded with calls? I do not mean CB. I am talking about two dedicated or paired or whatever the term is for direct walkie talkies.

I'm asking if this would be a sound backup communication plan for two people who would be within say a half mile of each other. Also, are there pure battery operated devices, not rechargeable? If battery operated you could just keep the walkies in a drawer indefitely and just pop in the batteries and you're GTG.

What other important issues are there and please recommendations if you know any. Think of this more for like soccer mom communication as opposed to tactical life support.

CB. Cheap, longer range, learn Spanish for free ;)

Si.

Motorola walkabouts would be a cheap, easy way to go. I like the models that have a rechargeable battery pack but can also use 3 AA batteries If the pack dies. In my car with my son in the house I can get a little less then 2 miles with mine.

Ham and CB does not work for soccer moms. C'mon guys.

I will look into the Motorola suggested.

Any other keys I should know with a Motorola type device in a time of high stress?

The only time I want to hear about HAM is on cheese for lunch.

If you are only a few miles apart, Motorola Talkabouts work decently. Not great, but decent. HAM may be great but it's a big investment in equipment and licensing.

+1 on the Talkabouts. Bought a pair of Motorola Talkabout T289's about 10 years ago and apart from the battery dying quickly (normal for the age of the rechargable battery), they're still running strong.

Probably going to pick up these soon - Talkabout MT352R

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Two-way+Radios/Consumer+Two-way+Radios/MT352R_Talkabout_Two-Way-Radio_US-EN

For airsoft, FRS radios are a "requirement" on most fields.  While packages claim "18(+) MILE RANGE!!!!!," you'll get maybe 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile if very lucky in heavily wooded areas with maybe 20-40 foot elevation differences.  Places with better line of sight will allow slightly better range, but still not many miles.  I have not had a chance to use FRS in a real city environment, but lots of large buildings in between you and your radio partner will likely not allow you significant range.

Benefit of FRS radios is that they are easily portable and inexpensive.  Most cheap models will take AA batteries, some slightly more expensive/(better?) models will include a rechargeable battery pack and charger.  I have a pair of midlands which were about $50, which included a dumb charger (no automatic shutoff for charging), 2 rechargeable batteries, headsets, and the radios themselves.  The included rechargeables don't hold a charge for more than a few weeks (without use), but on a full charge I can get a full day's use of the radio with limited use.  My radios can also take 4x AA batteries instead of the pack.

If you intend to have these radios for SHTF type use, I'd consider keeping some of the AA lithium non-rechargeable batteries in/with the radios, since they have a decade+ shelf life.

FRS radios have "privacy" subchannels, but someone listening on say channel 1 will be able to hear someone on channel 1, subchannel 8, so don't expect real privacy.

Some FRS radios will also have a weather band receiver, which can come in handy.

I've only had one Baofeng, the UV-5R, but I've had no issues with it.  The majority of reviews I've seen on them have been positive mostly because of the price point.  At $30 to $50 per radio it's not a hugely risky purchase financially.  Keep in mind, it is not illegal to own or use one to listen but in order to transmit you must have an Amateur Radio License.  Getting licensed is easier than most people think as there are free practice tools online and the test itself is $15.  You'll need at least the first level license, Technician, in order to transmit on the UHF and VHF frequencies that the majority of the Baofeng models use.  A great resource to find out more would be to go to ARRL.org and click on the Licensing, Education and Training link.

I think getting licensed, learning how to and using the ham radios are well above those blister pack family radios.  Not only do they tend to have better radio to radio distance performance (simplex) because of the higher output (FRS is .5 watt and HT ham radios can usually go up to 4 or 5 watts) but the ability to also use a repeater  can expand their range to 10, 20, 30 or more miles depending on conditions.  Additionally, you can program in some public safety frequencies (for listen only, DO NOT transmit) and get live information on what emergencies might be occurring.  That ARRL link above can also point you to some local clubs in your area where you'll find very helpful people who can answer your questions and give you solid advice.

When setting up your HAM (talking about the beofeng), can you set up a channel that only you and the people who know the channel or freq have access?

One of those questions that's just been nagging at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When setting up your HAM (talking about the beofeng), can you set up a channel that only you and the people who know the channel or freq have access?One of those questions that's just been nagging at me.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no.

You can set-up an "odd" frequency that only you and yours know about, but you must also follow the band plan, which is

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Hambands_color.pdf

The band plan ensures everybody is on the same "page" and avoids interference between different modes of operation.

Also remember...no codes or cyphers in amateur radio communications,.

Just to expand on the answers already given regarding ham radio and Baofeng HTs (Handheld Transmitters):

You can't really "hide" from anyone who has a radio that tunes the same frequencies you are using. Most HTs (like the Baofengs) have a scan function that will cycle through the band and stop on

any frequency that it hears a carrier. Additionally, they tune in "steps" (as opposed to continuous tuning - i.e. one hertz at a time).

For my purposes the Beofengs are good value (I currently own 3) and a lot of fun for very little cost. But, be advised: like guns, you will almost immediately need/want  to "accessorize". For the Beofengs this means a better

antenna, a programming cable(get the real Beofeng cable, not the knockoff), the high capacity battery (the supplied battery has pretty good life but the bigger battery gives you something to physically grip).  Each of these are inexpensive items, but collectively cost more the the radio.

When setting up your HAM (talking about the beofeng), can you set up a channel that only you and the people who know the channel or freq have acces

Not really as outlined above.  One thing you could do is utilize two different frequencies where one party transmits on frequency A and the other on frequency B.  You could even divide this over two bands so one person transmits on frequency A in VHF and the other on frequency B on UHF.  This way you're not using any codes or cyphers so you are still legal but you're making it harder for someone to listen in without listening to both frequencies simultaneously.  

By the way, this is an emergency scenario that I'm suggesting this for where life and death are at risk.  I wouldn't suggest doing this as a matter of normal operation.

While you can almost guarantee that on a repeater, somebody is listening, on simplex, particularly an odd frequency, it's doubtful anybody else is there. For even more "privacy", you can use some simplex frequencies in the 223 MHz band. There are very few radios, and even fewer scanners that operate there.

The real truth is nobody much cares what you're talking about...

Yes and no.

You can set-up an "odd" frequency that only you and yours know about, but you must also follow the band plan, which is

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Hambands_color.pdf

The band plan ensures everybody is on the same "page" and avoids interference between different modes of operation.

Also remember...no codes or cyphers in amateur radio communications,.

You're link is not working.

As little as I know about HAM I did know about the no encryption or cyphering. Which doesn't really concern me because unless some really really bad does happen, I won't really have a need for security like that. The biggest thing I am concerned about is having a semi private freq to communicate with my family during a storm or after a storm. I just simply don't want to clutter up an already busy freq with us assessing damage around the neighborhood, or if people in the town I work in are starting to loot.

You're link is not working.

As little as I know about HAM I did know about the no encryption or cyphering. Which doesn't really concern me because unless some really really bad does happen, I won't really have a need for security like that. The biggest thing I am concerned about is having a semi private freq to communicate with my family during a storm or after a storm. I just simply don't want to clutter up an already busy freq with us assessing damage around the neighborhood, or if people in the town I work in are starting to loot.

Closest thing to that is apply for a business radio license and get your own frequency. But that privacy only goes so far.