Sign in to follow this  
dman2112

My New Rifle Build

Looks like Shane has a ton of experience over torquing and breaking shit

dman -  Nice Rifle!    However, with all due respect if you can't handle a little constructive criticism of your rifle build, then an internet forum is not the place for you to post it.  To make matters worse your comment above is not only completely unfounded, but also WAY off base (intended).  Their are keyboard commando's, and there are SME's.  While it can be difficult at times to decipher between the two, in this instance you may have your wires crossed (also intended).  Myself along with many, many, others on this forum can vouch for the quality and craftsmanship of Shane's work.  

Just something to think about.  Good Luck with your new rifle, should be a real shooter.

Shane. These are ATSM standards. Not just formulas from a text book. It's standard study for and ME Junior year. Specifically relevant would ASTM A193. Which you can google and peruse. These are industry standards for yield and tensile strength which translate to overall shear strength. Also my EGW rail is the machined HD version T7075. I think it was 85. I appreciate your experience, but don't knock someone who holds a PE license when you are not sure of the content.

Sorry Im late to the party. Just got back from a Five Finger Death Punch/Volbeat/HellYeah/Nothing More concert! My ears are still ringing and Im already half deaf. What?

TM, thanks bro! I'll have your rifle done by Monday :)

dman, Ill look into the references you listed. Its not my intention to keep an internet volley going but I would like you to point out where I Knock you or your education. In fact its just the opposite. I expect you to see it from an engineering perspective actually. I appreciate your degree. Electrical engineering right? But my experience is very specifically in the mounting solution department. Heavily in the Mil/LE arena. So I have seen much of what works and what fails. But also in the manufacturing side which included teaching myself Autocad, Solidworks, and G code programs to design and manufacture my own mount.

5.jpg

8.jpg

Ahhh I can see the application now where you would need such strength in a Mil application where the rifle is abused (dropped off cliffs, etc ) and you need to retain zero and not worry about the scope mount tearing off. . But just to handle recoil that's way overkill. My rifle will sit on a shooting bench for its lifetime. Also the formulas are in the spec mentioned above. You look up a value based on the bolt grade in a table and plug it into the formula. It's the same formula for all fasteners. Even if I was building a skyscraper and wanted to join two I beams. It's just a PITA to copy and past it in my iPhone. Go ahead and google it and you'll find it. Nice work.

:drinks:

Believe it or not I have had pretty good luck with Craigslist and Ebay. I do my gunsmithing at my home shop so I don't have to run up to the main shop. I wanted smaller machines and I found an incredible condition 1946 Logan Lathe on EBay. Had to do some driving for that one! But My 1950's Clausing mill came from south jersey. Found that on Craigslist. You have a leg up that I suspect you could easily look at Phase 3 machinery because Im entirely sure you could make a nice rotary phase converter to run it :D

shophome.jpg

I just saw somewhere and can't remember where I read it. A guy selling $1200 machines that make AR parts. He blew the first few hundred, (forget actual number), within the first 24 hours. Went over as such a hit, he's going to manufacture more and increase price a 100 bux. Any read or recall that blurb somewhere? I got to try find it dagnabit.

:drinks:

Believe it or not I have had pretty good luck with Craigslist and Ebay. I do my gunsmithing at my home shop so I don't have to run up to the main shop. I wanted smaller machines and I found an incredible condition 1946 Logan Lathe on EBay. Had to do some driving for that one! But My 1950's Clausing mill came from south jersey. Found that on Craigslist. You have a leg up that I suspect you could easily look at Phase 3 machinery because Im entirely sure you could make a nice rotary phase converter to run it :D

Posted Image

Photo is broke.

If I come across any machinery Ill let you know.

Pic should be good now. Size was too big.

Still shows broke. Did you check that article link out? What you think?

You might try refreshing? It works on multiple pc's at home and my phone.

On the Ghost Gunner, I didn't pay much attention to it because I can machine all the way from a block of billet. But I took a quick look to confirm what I suspected it was doing. Looks like its pre programmed to punch out the finishing moves on an 80% lower. Neat I guess and probably some marketing genius thrown in but I suspect it doesn't really do anything more than what you can achieve with one of those jigs you could buy. And even if it did, you could probably get a small chicom mill for close to that money that you would be able to do a lot more with. On the flip side, my prediction is that this stuff is going to trigger a change in fedral law regarding 80% lowers. The line got moved once, I suspect it will be moved again and we will then be looking at 50% lowers or something that requires machining operation that would be outside the work envelope of machines anyone can buy and press a button.

You might try refreshing? It works on multiple pc's at home and my phone.

On the Ghost Gunner, I didn't pay much attention to it because I can machine all the way from a block of billet. But I took a quick look to confirm what I suspected it was doing. Looks like its pre programmed to punch out the finishing moves on an 80% lower. Neat I guess and probably some marketing genius thrown in but I suspect it doesn't really do anything more than what you can achieve with one of those jigs you could buy. And even if it did, you could probably get a small chicom mill for close to that money that you would be able to do a lot more with. On the flip side, my prediction is that this stuff is going to trigger a change in fedral law regarding 80% lowers. The line got moved once, I suspect it will be moved again and we will then be looking at 50% lowers or something that requires machining operation that would be outside the work envelope of machines anyone can buy and press a button.

That's exactly what I got from the article and what I expect to happen.  Yep hype and gimick that will change legislation.

Well this thread has been highjacked royal!

I thought it was going to stay a precision rifle thread.

As an aside...I'm glad there is an interest in precision shooting as opposed to (bring on the flame) all the ninja stuff this forum has thrived on.

I miss that 20" AIAW :(

How about the DTA Shane? I know you gave that system a couple opportunities to work for you. I still have mine and I like it alot but dont love it. If it wasnt for the 338 lapua option I probably would not hold onto it.

Bullzeye, that pretty ,much sums up my feelings as well. Although I went two for two on not having too good of a trigger. I understand the latest ones are better in this regard. The accuracy is surely there. But I also had a bit of an ergonomics issue. If I didn't put all the butt spacers in, sometimes I'd catch my glasses during bolt manipulations. From a utilitarian perspective, its a tough system to beat. But..I just didn't meld with it. Right now I have no bolt guns. I have been operating under an opinion that my semi's are accurate enough to make owning a non magnum bolt gun a waste of safe space. And with no where to really shoot the 338 without a day trip, I put that aside too. But alas there is something to the intrinsic simplicity and easier shoot-ability of a bolt gun, so I find myself wanting one again :) When I move to America where there is access to extended ranges, I'll get back in the magnum game but this time around I'm considering giving an SSG3000 a dance. If money wasn't an object I would go for the new AI switch barrel...but damn that's some coin!!!

Holy crap! What's the poor mans version of that? Wicked kewl but unless you're a professional hit man or something.... Again. Holy crap!