ogfarmer

A3764- Assembly Bill-- Requires successful completion of firearms education program to obtain initial firearms purchaser identification card and permi

Good ole Mainor and crew are at it again

Legislation Overview

Title: Requires successful completion of firearms education program to obtain initial firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase a handgun.

Description: Requires successful completion of firearms education program to obtain initial firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase a handgun.

Session: 2014-2015 Regular Session

Last Action:

Last Action Date: October 1, 2014

Link: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp?BillNumber=A3764

Companion Bill: S2355

Sponsors

Note: the first sponsor listed is normally the primary sponsor. If a sponsor's name is a hyperlink you can click on it to 'follow the money'.

3 sponsors: Joseph A. Lagana; Eustace, Timothy J.; Charles Mainor

This is text from the companion bill that was introduced in September.

SENATE, No. 2355

STATE OF NEW JERSEY

216th LEGISLATURE

INTRODUCED SEPTEMBER 15, 2014

Sponsored by:

Senator  PETER J. BARNES, III

District 18 (Middlesex)

SYNOPSIS

Requires successful completion of firearms education program to obtain initial firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase a handgun.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT

As introduced.

An Act concerning firearms education and supplementing Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes.

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1.    a.  An applicant for a firearms purchaser identification card or permit to purchase a handgun shall not be issued the card or permit unless the applicant presents evidence of successfully completing a firearms education program of a type approved by the Superintendent of State Police or has received substantially equivalent training through law enforcement or military service.  Acceptable evidence of successfully completing a firearms education program shall include, but not be limited to, a certificate indicating satisfactory completion of a National Rifle Association firearms course, a certificate that the applicant is a certified National Rifle Association Firearms Instructor, a copy of a firearms or hunting license or permit from any other jurisdiction that requires the holder to successfully complete a substantially equivalent firearms education program, or any other such documentation, certificate, or certification that the superintendent deems substantially equivalent. 

The firearms education program, which shall not exceed four hours, may be offered by the National Rifle Association, a State or local law enforcement agency, junior college, college, university, firearms training school, or any other entity approved by the superintendent.

The superintendent shall prescribe the basic curriculum for the firearms education program required under this section. 

In developing that curriculum, the superintendent shall consult with a firearms safety panel which shall consist of four members in addition to the superintendant.  Two members shall be appointed by the Senate President; one shall represent organizations, associations, or clubs promoting hunting, shooting sports or competitions and one shall represent organizations, associations, or other entities advocating gun violence prevention.  Two members shall be appointed by the Speaker of the General Assembly; one shall represent organizations, associations, or clubs promoting hunting, shooting sports or competitions and one shall represent organizations, associations, or other entities advocating gun violence prevention.  The superintendent shall serve as chair of the panel.  The panel shall meet at those times and in those places as determined by the chair.

The basic curriculum shall include, but not be limited to, classes relating to responsible firearms ownership, safe storage, restricting access to firearms by unsupervised minors, and any other matters relating to protecting the safety and well being of New Jersey’s families and children. 

The basic curriculum shall be adopted within 60 days of the appointment of the members of the panel.  If the panel is not appointed or does not adopt the basic curriculum within the required 60 days, the superintendent shall act independently in prescribing the provisions of the curriculum. 

b.    The superintendent shall prescribe the form or certificate an applicant receives evidencing the successful completion of the firearms education program required under this section and the manner in which that form or certificate shall be presented in order to qualify for a firearms purchaser identification card or permit to purchase a handgun. 

c.     The form or certificate issued pursuant to this section shall be valid, and shall be used, for an application for an initial firearms purchaser identification card or initial permit to purchase a handgun.  An applicant who has successfully completed a firearms education program pursuant to this section shall not be required to repeat that program as part of any application for any renewal of a firearms purchaser identification card or permit to purchase a handgun. 

2.    This act shall take effect on the first day of the seventh month next following enactment except the Superintendent of State Police may take any anticipatory administrative action in advance thereof as shall be necessary for the implementation of this act. 

STATEMENT

This bill requires an applicant for an initial firearms purchaser identification card or permit to purchase a handgun to successfully complete a firearms education program approved by the Superintendant of State Police. 

Under the bill, acceptable evidence of successfully completing a firearms education program includes: a certificate indicating satisfactory completion of a National Rifle Association firearms course; a certificate that the applicant is a certified National Rifle Association Firearms Instructor; a copy of a firearms or hunting license or permit from any other jurisdiction that requires the holder to successfully complete a substantially equivalent firearms education program; or any other documentation, certificate, or certification deemed substantially equivalent by the superintendant. 

The bill authorizes substantially equivalent training through law enforcement or military service to be substituted for the education program. 

The bill limits the firearms education program to no more than four hours.  It may be offered by the National Rifle Association, a State or local law enforcement agency, junior college, college, university, firearms training school, or any other entity approved by the superintendent. 

The bill requires the superintendent to prescribe the basic curriculum for the firearms education program, in consultation with a firearms safety panel.  The panel is to consist of four members.  Two members are to represent organizations, associations, or clubs promoting hunting, shooting sports or competitions, one each to be appointed by the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the General Assembly.  The two other members are to represent organizations, associations, or other entities advocating gun violence prevention, one each to be appointed by the President and the Speaker.  The superintendent is designated as chair of the panel and is responsible for determining when and where the panel will meet.  

The bill requires the basic curriculum of the firearms education program to include classes relating to responsible firearms ownership, safe storage, restricting access to firearms by unsupervised minors, and any other matters concerning the safety and well being of this State’s families and children.  The basic curriculum is to be adopted within 60 days of the appointment of the members of the panel.  If the panel is not appointed or does not adopt the curriculum within the required 60 days, the bill directs the superintendent to independently prescribe the curriculum. 

The superintendent is responsible for developing the form or certificate evidencing successful completion of the firearms education program.  The form or certificate is required for an initial application for a firearms purchaser identification card or initial permit to purchase a handgun, but not for a renewal of a card or permit.

I wonder if the NRA will quietly back this bill since they will likely become a major benefactor.  I guess the good thing though is one can simply do the hunter education for free, even if they do not intend to hunt,   But wow, NJ state and the NRA in bed together.  Strange bedfellows indeed.

They won't.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

He’s knows that, he’s just expressing the state of mind of ALL NJ Legal gun owners. The question to ask is when are the Trenton politicians going to quit with the smoke & mirrors politics and actually do something to benefit the working class 

I am not going to lie. I like mandatory training. We have it for other stuff. Why not this. My only problem is that its just another restriction in an otherwise marxist state. You need training to drive, a course for a hunters license so why not for this. This would benefit ranges and trainers in NJ so its supporting local business. Not their stupidest idea

2 things concern me the most here (beyond the obvious question as to why this would exist at all).

First, the statement about not needing the training for renewal of an FPID.  Is this a slip-up on a possible intent to have FPID's expire after a certain timeframe?

Second, note the make-up of the firearm safety panel and who would appoint the members.

I am not going to lie. I like mandatory training. We have it for other stuff. Why not this. My only problem is that its just another restriction in an otherwise marxist state. You need training to drive, a course for a hunters license so why not for this. This would benefit ranges and trainers in NJ so its supporting local business. Not their stupidest idea

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I failed to see where it states that training is required in the above. Just like voting is a RIGHT and not a PRIVILEGE.

DO NOT GIVE UP NEW JERSEYIANS.

I failed to see where it states that training is required in the above. Just like voting is a RIGHT and not a PRIVILEGE.

DO NOT GIVE UP NEW JERSEYIANS.

Exactly. I'll go for this if they require everyone who wishes to vote must first pass a test on current events and civics.

Should thin out quite a bit of the low/no information, sucking off the teat of the taxpayer crowd.

No offense here buddy but what part of "Shall not be infringed" do you not understand? They are already raping the Constitution as it is. 

We keep giving and inch here or there and they will take a mile. 

having a drivers license is a privilege NOT a RIGHT

watch them do that with voting and see the ACLU swoop in

sadly for guns, the aclu seems to turn the other eye

the scary thing is this has a good chance to make it through.....i can't believe the morons writing these bills up

They're not morons. They're committed ideologues. And their commitment is to disarm the law abiding citizens of New Jersey. They don't want you armed.

I see your point. And I would agree if I believed the goal of this bill is to improve the knowledge and training of applicants. We both know the goal is to establish yet another barrier to entry to something that is a right in any other state.

If they truly wanted to achieve the former without infringing they would incentivize training. Reduce the cost of the FID if applicant shows documented training.. Etc

Lets turn this into an opportunity! Libs want safety? Give it in spades! Lets propose manadatory gun safety courses in high schools with a class trip to the range instead, worlds safer and we spark the gun interest in the kiddies, hell schools back in the day had shooting clubs, so lets write this up and toss it into the laps of those safety police libs!

This is another idea to invoke the "us vs them" emotion in population.  These guys are not stupid. 

In their view, the only safest firearm is the one that doesnt fire. Are you willing to give into that ?

If you fall for this sh*t, you might as well go with 1 round ARs and firearms with bricks attached as safety devices.

Just curious.... would current FPID holders be "grandfathered?"  Would anyone applying for new P2Ps (after having obtained initial FPID and P2Ps) also have to meet this requirement?

I'd have a bunch of issues more with it, in that case.... :mad:

I dont get it. All you people go to Florida, Utah and every other ccw class so you can carry concealed in other states. Thats training before you are allowed a constitutional right. Very few states have constitutional carry. I get that this isnt for ccw in NJ but the lines are similar before exercising a right.

Do realize that the world we live in is full of people who arent self responsible. We see people at ranges all the time who dont know the proper rules of gun safety.

I dont get it. All you people go to Florida, Utah and every other ccw class so you can carry concealed in other states. Thats training before you are allowed a constitutional right. Very few states have constitutional carry. I get that this isnt for ccw in NJ but the lines are similar before exercising a right.

Do realize that the world we live in is full of people who arent self responsible. We see people at ranges all the time who dont know the proper rules of gun safety.

There are some that don't believe that CCW training should be a "requirement" either...  because it's a "constitutional right."  Refer to this Shaneen Allen thread...