MartyZ

Man allegedly shoots down neighbor’s drone with shotgun

Are these weatherproof? How about using a garden hose? Can we have a top ten list of how to down a drone?

While still illegal, it wont get you put in the slammer for a firearms offense....but.  You can always use a wideband transmitter tuned to the RC frequencies spectrum to jam the signal.  That sucker will drop like a rock.  Well, it will do a lot of unpredictable things, then drop like a rock.

I firmly believe that anyone that shoots down a drone should lose their guns and should get free room and board and medical insurance provided by the state at a nice state owned facility for at least a year.  My drone is doing quite well, thanks for everyone's concern :)

While still illegal, it wont get you put in the slammer for a firearms offense....but.  You can always use a wideband transmitter tuned to the RC frequencies spectrum to jam the signal.  That sucker will drop like a rock.  Well, it will do a lot of unpredictable things, then drop like a rock.

Doesn't work that way anymore, things have come a long way since the 90s in the RC world.

I firmly believe that anyone that shoots down a drone should lose their guns and should get free room and board and medical insurance provided by the state at a nice state owned facility for at least a year.  My drone is doing quite well, thanks for everyone's concern :)

What if that drone was right outside your childs bedroom window?

Quads are very loud, they don't spy on you like that. You do know I can park my car I front of your house with a big lens and take all the pictures I want. You can't shoot a drone unless it is armed and you are in Direct fear of your life. Otherwise this is NJ and you have a duty to retreat. :)

Quads are very loud, they don't spy on you like that. You do know I can park my car I front of your house with a big lens and take all the pictures I want. You can't shoot a drone unless it is armed and you are in Direct fear of your life. Otherwise this is NJ and you have a duty to retreat. :)

Only a matter of time before there are very quiet ones around. I wouldnt park in front of my house with a camera. The German Shepherds would not like it. If I had a child and one was outside their window it would end very badly. I am not a fan of drones.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean people aren't out to get you. If some one wants to spy on you and take pictures you would not know it. For all you know there are already many tiny hidden cameras in your house.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean people aren't out to get you. If some one wants to spy on you and take pictures you would not know it. For all you know there are already many tiny hidden cameras in your house.

Please dont jump to conclusions about me. Gun owners have enough of that crap to deal with. Knowing there are scumbags out there who would/will use these things to do wrong does not make me paranoid, it makes me realistic. I read enough of your posts to know you would never use your drone for the wrong reasons but you have to know that there are others who will. If someone wants to spy on me or take pictures of me in public so be it. They would have an incredibly difficult time doing it out at my place and I would most likely know they were there. Enjoy your drone.

What if that drone was right outside your childs bedroom window?

At my 13 yo daughters softball game last night some clown was flying a quad around over the infield @ ~100 - 200 feet.  No one in sight was operating it, no one knew whose it was.  It was up for around an hour.  The girls did not like it one bit.  Some of the parents were discussing taking shots at it with softballs.

Wow I have never heard of one that can stay aloft for an hour. It's funny how people get paranoid about these but don't even give it a second thought when someone has a cell phone out taking pictures. Why do you think that might be?

Wow I have never heard of one that can stay aloft for an hour. It's funny how people get paranoid about these but don't even give it a second thought when someone has a cell phone out taking pictures. Why do you think that might be?

There is a difference between someone standing there taking pictures, and someone being god knows where with a helicopter. 

I'm sure anyone with a drone is probably not doing anything nefarious and is probably a film junkie. It is a ton of investment and at this point is a niche thing. Any creeps would probably just stealthily take pictures. Still, to Joe Public, it looks werido. 

He may have landed it out of sight (night game) and changed batteries.

A person with a cellphone taking pictures can be seen, evaluated for a threat, and confronted/police called if they are suspicious.

How would that police call go for a drone with no visible operator.

He may have landed it out of sight (night game) and changed batteries.

A person with a cellphone taking pictures can be seen, evaluated for a threat, and confronted/police called if they are suspicious.

How would that police call go for a drone with no visible operator.

Now you are changing the story, you said it was up for an hour.  Anyway, so what if they are taking pictures from 200'?  You are concerned about this only because you saw it, if someone wanted to be nefarious there are cameras so small that you would never even know someone was taking pictures.  There are cameras that look like shirt buttons that are worn and you cannot detect.  What would you need to call police for a quad with no visible operator?  What is it that you are actually worried about?  Actually the operator would be visible as there are FAA rules that the operator must be in visual range of the craft, and most of these things have a very limited range.

I just find it very funny the parents that are so concerned about photos of their kids yet use their cellphones with geotagging to take pictures of their little ones and have them go right up to the cloud or social media.  Many of these people take pictures in their kids' rooms and post them providing a direct trail for a pedophile.

Now you are changing the story, you said it was up for an hour.  Anyway, so what if they are taking pictures from 200'?  You are concerned about this only because you saw it, if someone wanted to be nefarious there are cameras so small that you would never even know someone was taking pictures.  There are cameras that look like shirt buttons that are worn and you cannot detect.  What would you need to call police for a quad with no visible operator?  What is it that you are actually worried about?  Actually the operator would be visible as there are FAA rules that the operator must be in visual range of the craft, and most of these things have a very limited range.

I just find it very funny the parents that are so concerned about photos of their kids yet use their cellphones with geotagging to take pictures of their little ones and have them go right up to the cloud or social media.  Many of these people take pictures in their kids' rooms and post them providing a direct trail for a pedophile.

There are also rules about convicted felons carrying guns, but the rules don't seem to stop them.

About taking pictures secretly. Here is one taken from several hundred meters away with relatively short 100mm lens. I bet nobody in the picture saw me or considered me as a "soul capturing photo" threat. Original file has enough resolution that I found a couple of my friends in the middle of the crowd. I would use still compact and unassuming 600mm lens on 4/3 camera to take full length portraits from the same distance if my goal would be to secretly photograph anyone in there. I will be right there in the open and you will never see me.

[safe to open beach scene] - https://flic.kr/p/pveC8P

About taking pictures secretly. Here is one taken from several hundred meters away with relatively short 100mm lens. I bet nobody in the picture saw me or considered me as a "soul capturing photo" threat. Original file has enough resolution that I found a couple of my friends in the middle of the crowd. I would use still compact and unassuming 600mm lens on 4/3 camera to take full length portraits from the same distance if my goal would be to secretly photograph anyone in there. I will be right there in the open and you will never see me.

Exactly my point, you can get much more detail up close with a hidden camera than you will with current quad technology.  A real pervert could walk into locker rooms, bathrooms, changing rooms, etc... with a tiny hidden camera on their person and no one would ever know a picture had been taken.  At least with a Quad it is big noisy and you know what is going on.

To show real world example here is an image that is taken at 600mm (relatively small camera) from across of full sized stadium: [safe to open crowd] - https://flic.kr/p/c6UEc7

To show real world example here is an image that is taken at 600mm (relatively small camera) from across of full sized stadium: [safe to open crowd] - https://flic.kr/p/c6UEc7

By this do you mean that the camera is small compared to the lens? A 600mm lens is about $12,000.00 so I would expect nice pictures. ;)