Newtonian

What to download?

Is there any decent library we could download in the even that the SHsTF? I'm thinking a bunch of files with maps, and information on gardening, medicinie, home repairs, literature, music, etc.

I'm thinking of a scenario where the electricity goes out for a while. One could access this library through a solar-charged tablet or laptop.

If nothing like this exists, it might be useful to construct it collaboratively. "The essential prepper's encyclopedia."

Serious question - why not just good old books ?

Books are expensive, take up a lot of space, and are difficult to search by keyword.

Years ago I picked up an "English Literature" CD that contains THOUSANDS of books, poems, plays, etc. I've never stuck it into a CD drive but I could. Or I could read/re-read the many hundreds of dusty tomes hanging around here.

A one-stop shop, a survival library, would be interesting though.

All the stuff we need is already out there, free. How to skin a squirrel for cooking, for example. Or how to disinfect water, how to board up windows. All sorts of stuff on nutrition. Survival is all about knowledge, skill.

I have gathered gardening books, home repairs, general medicine - typically one for each category and nothing more. Ofcourse, few board games (physical).

While a digital device can fit more than anything I can physically handle, I am not totally convinced about digital life under SHTF scenario. I could be wrong.

I have gathered gardening books, home repairs, general medicine - typically one for each category and nothing more. Ofcourse, few board games (physical).

While a digital device can fit more than anything I can physically handle, I am not totally convinced about digital life under SHTF scenario. I could be wrong.

Do you play chess/bridge?

I was thinking maybe a solar charger that would juice up a laptop or tablet. 

Is there any decent library we could download in the even that the SHsTF? I'm thinking a bunch of files with maps, and information on gardening, medicinie, home repairs, literature, music, etc.

I'm thinking of a scenario where the electricity goes out for a while. One could access this library through a solar-charged tablet or laptop.

If nothing like this exists, it might be useful to construct it collaboratively. "The essential prepper's encyclopedia."

for maps, i'd just have paper. you'll ALWAYS be able to read a paper map. anything on cd or dvd requires power, which you may not have.........i know they take up room, but in something like this, a couple books and hard copy maps are best.....

I've got a solar rig that will run my 4 bank battery charger and recharge anything usb. It works reasonably well for that. Recharging laptops is another matter. Most of the fold up solar dealies put out 12v and/or 5v, which your laptop may or may not like.  I've seen everything from 12v-24v over the years, and an even wider variety of power draw. The simplest solution to that is one of the battery packs that is known to mate to the laptop of your choosing, or one of the ones that have 120v output. I may try that in the future, but my goal was to have a means of recharging my batteries for light, cell phones for communication, and a tablet to keep the little guy comforted and busy/distracted. 

I have a pretty extensive 120 gig collection of prep information that I've been building up for the last few years.

I do pass the collection around to interested parties on a high capacity thumbdrive

I just need a snail mail address to send it to with assurances that you'll send it back when the information is downloaded

Alternately I could post a few hundred links that the foundational part of the information collection was gleaned from and you can do your own downloading and organizing as you see fit

There's a time and place for hard copies of books

There's also a convenience factor with e-documents