Howard

Trap shooting - a first attempt

Andrew B was nice enough to take me out trap shooting this weekend for a first try.  I had never even touched a shotgun before, so this was a very new experience.  He taught me how to correctly hold the gun and I learned quite a bit.  Unfortunately, before I learned to do it correctly I also learned how not to do it correctly.  Fortunately it looks much worse than it feels :)

15455483551_e8924b4649_z_d.jpg

Andrew B was nice enough to take me out trap shooting this weekend for a first try. I had never even touched a shotgun before, so this was a very new experience. He thought me how to correctly hold the gun and I learned quite a bit. Unfortunately, before I learned to do it correctly I also learned how not to do it correctly. Fortunately it looks much worse than it feels :)

Some friend! He should have told you, not just thought it :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

If you shoulder it correctly , your whole body absorbs the recoil and you should not really need a limbsaver. Shy is about 4'9 ( 2 inches shorter than I ) . The gun is too long for her , but she still shoots it pain free because it is tucked right into her armpit . She can't have an adjustable stock on her Beretta 12 g because it is a semiauto. If you watch the video you see her REALLY concentrate on getting it into her shoulder hollow ( is that what you would call it?)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=148554091982007&set=vb.126165800887503&type=2&theater

Poor Howard!  I saw ya Sunday at Old Bridge for the Steel Match.  Shotgun League was right next to the Pits.  I could have given you a 5 minute lesson with a friend's scattergun so you would have avoided such a bruise, and then you could have continued with the steel match uninterrupted.  And I'd still be able to shoot my black powder match.  Next time just ask and I'll be glad to help!  Just because I wear a pair of Colt Smokewagons doesn't mean I can't learn ya how to knock clay birds outta the sky, lol!

Rosey

The Shootist

Poor Howard!  I saw ya Sunday at Old Bridge for the Steel Match.  Shotgun League was right next to the Pits.  I could have given you a 5 minute lesson with a friend's scattergun so you would have avoided such a bruise, and then you could have continued with the steel match uninterrupted.  And I'd still be able to shoot my black powder match.  Next time just ask and I'll be glad to help!  Just because I wear a pair of Colt Smokewagons doesn't mean I can't learn ya how to knock clay birds outta the sky, lol!

Rosey

The Shootist

Thanks Dave, but I earned these colors on Saturday - and it did not keep me away from Static yesterday! ;)

If you shoulder it correctly , your whole body absorbs the recoil and you should not really need a limbsaver.

I've burned through at least 20 cases of shotgun ammo in the past 6 years and hunted with a shotgun since the 70s.   I don't need to have a limbsaver and I know how to shoulder my shotguns.   The difference between "feeling it" and feeling nothing at all after 3-4 rounds of trap or skeet is what a limbsaver does for you.

Howard, come to the shotgun shootout meet this Sat in Clinton and we'll learn ya how to shoot dem clays...

I thought the shootout was on Sunday?

Sheeesh, Howard, just what you need - another expensive hobby. Priced any Krieghoff's?

I think Howard has ADHD.

Funny you should mention that.  As I pulled out my D800e to take some pictures at the steel match yesterday a friend made the comment that my cheapest hobby is probably the RC Quad copter.

Howard, come to the shotgun shootout meet this Sat in Clinton and we'll learn ya how to shoot dem clays...

Thanks I would, but I am already booked with Knockdown Steel Sat and IDPA on Sunday.

I've burned through at least 20 cases of shotgun ammo in the past 6 years and hunted with a shotgun since the 70s.   I don't need to have a limbsaver and I know how to shoulder my shotguns.   The difference between "feeling it" and feeling nothing at all after 3-4 rounds of trap or skeet is what a limbsaver does for you.

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/slip-on-recoil-pad/

Yes, it's worth the money.

Easiest way to avoid a bruise is to just use the pistol grip in the stock and shoot the 3 Dram or less load using a strong-hand ONLY technique like I do.  It's easy to do with low brass.........

Seriously, yes I can break birds with strong-hand.  I can break LOTS of birds if I use both hands and a shoulder (doesn't matter which side).  It's all about getting used to gun handling and gun fit!

Dave

The Shootist