Howard

Time to share my Huskies

I don't think I've shared any pictures of my Huskies is a while, so here are two I took yesterday of Roxy who is about three and our puppy Sasha who is now about 8 months.

Roxy Roo

15282011289_a25f8e4bbb_b_d.jpg

Sasha Poo 

15465170865_3f34049e81_b_d.jpg

What collars are they wearing? Remote electric?

They are not remote, they are the "receivers" for our electric fence.  If they try to stray it gives them motivation to stay in the yard.

They are not remote, they are the "receivers" for our electric fence. If they try to stray it gives them motivation to stay in the yard.

When I was a kid my best friend had a giant yellow lab that would just stand over the electric fence and twitch every time he got zapped. My point being, the invisible fences aren't a guarantee.

Well I know the invisible fences are not perfect, but we have had ours with five different Huskies now and have never had an issue.  I think there are all different qualities of these devices.  Ours are Innotek which are fairly high end.  First the animal hears a tone as the approach, as they get closer they get a mild shock, and if they continue that get the full blast.  When we first train them they get zapped and cry like a little bitch.  After that we have only once had a dog cross it, and that was Sasha when she was chased by a bear.  Think she made the right choice to get shocked rather than get mauled.  She has not approached it again.

When we first train them they get zapped and cry like a little bitch. 

And that's the crux.  The dogs need to learn WHERE the boundaries are. Once they know that "When I get near the curb, I get a zap", they will rarely cross the line.

An untrained dog will run full speed across the wire and have absolutely no idea why they got a shock, so the shock does no good. 

Obviously you did the Electronic fence right.

And that's the crux.  The dogs need to learn WHERE the boundaries are. Once they know that "When I get near the curb, I get a zap", they will rarely cross the line.

An untrained dog will run full speed across the wire and have absolutely no idea why they got a shock, so the shock does no good. 

Obviously you did the Electronic fence right.

You are correct.  Each time we get a new dog we go about planting the little white flags every three or four feet around the entire property.  Which reminds me it is past time for me to take these down!  It amazes me how they learn the boundary.  Now it is easy where the curbs are, but I am shocked how they learn it perfectly in the woods behind us.  They will go chasing a squirrel or a deer and just stop dead knowing when the boundary is.