Howard

What big screen TV should I buy??

My 65" Mitsubishi DLP just gave up the ghost tonight, so its time to go shopping. I want to get something the same size or maybe larger.  What should I look at, make and model please.  I hear Samsung's are probably the best, is that true.  All suggestions welcomed.

My brother recently got the vizio 80 inch  I think it was just under $3000  very nice tv but only draw back is you really need to sit and fine tune the color adjustments to your liking , and just a little bit of shadowing in the corners but well worth it , Sharp put out a 90 inch saw one at BJ'S  thing is massive and so was the price at $7000

I have a 60" Samsung and I love it. I've always been impressed with the picture on Samsung TV's, so that's what I wanted. My parents have a 55" Vizio and we're just commenting this past weekend how awesome the picture on my tv is compared to theirs. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Also, look for built in wifi if you want to stream movies & shows with services like Netflix. IMHO, most people watch their TV almost everyday, so it's easy to justify spending a little extra for good one - I would only buy a Vizio for a kids playroom or something.

I have a Vizio and a Mitsubishi.  Both are great TV's, both different price ends.  That being said the Mitsubishi picture is a lot better (also 4 years newer then the Vizio).  Can't go wrong either way, just how much you want to spend.

I almost always check out Consumer Reports when making a large purchse. Unbiased and informative.

When you figure out what you want see if a floor model is available for sale. I purchased my last TV from Best Buy this way about 6 years ago. Saved several hundred dollars over one still in the box. You can use the savings for an extended warranty if you want & still prob be under the cost of the in the box tv. I generally don't get extended warranties though.

I have a 65" Samsung and love it, definitely has a better picture than most out there and there is no problem viewing it from the sides.

Which model and how long have you had it?  If you were to do it again would you buy that model or a better one (if there is one).

I bought a Samsung LED Smart TV last year and it's really awesome.  As with any TV, you do have to do some calibrating to get the colors/brightness/contrast spot-on... but once you get it dialed in, the picture is just amazing.  I got mine on Amazon during a black Friday sale and got an amazing deal... and they even threw in a Samsung sound bar system w/ subwoofer for free.  One of the best deals I've ever gotten.

I bought a Samsung LED Smart TV last year and it's really awesome.  As with any TV, you do have to do some calibrating to get the colors/brightness/contrast spot-on... but once you get it dialed in, the picture is just amazing.  I got mine on Amazon during a black Friday sale and got an amazing deal... and they even threw in a Samsung sound bar system w/ subwoofer for free.  One of the best deals I've ever gotten.

Which model did you get?  Don't really have a budget in mind.  Probably would like to stay below $3K

Get the biggest Samsung you can afford.    The OLED screens are too new, but have amazing pictures.    The 4k TVs are really spendy right now, but if you've got the money, go for it. 

The LEDs still have a fantastic picture, you can't go wrong.    You can save money on lesser brands, but you're going to be spending a ton of time looking at this thing, so I suggest spending the money for a good one :)

Which model and how long have you had it?  If you were to do it again would you buy that model or a better one (if there is one).

I will have to check the model, I bought it 3 years ago and yes, I definitely would buy it again.  It has the "smart" capability, which we really don't use but the picture is great.  The only thing I watch on TV is football and the HD stations look great. 

I also have the BOSE sound bar and sub-woofer.  Although I am not a big fan of most Bose stuff (I can hear quite a bit of noise with their steep filtering) my wife talked me into it and I was pleasantly surprised.

THe new vizeos use full array backlighting at very nice prices. They are worth a look. Most of the name brands don't suck in terms of image quality and colors. It'll mostly be about software and backlighting. I can't say I've been shopping, but if my current set went toes up, I'd be looking at the vizeo sets due to the full array backlighting. I'm not liking the corner bleed that is almost universal with edge lit sets. 

OK, so just about everyone has convinced me to go with Samsung.  So, the question now becomes to go for a 75" 1080p model or a 65" 4000 model????

It depends on how far you will be from the set.  If you are far enough away, you won't see any benefit to a 4k TV.

resolution.png

Went with the Samsung UN65HU8700 which is a 65" smart TV 4000 ultraHD with curved screen.  Took a screen printout of a crazy low price from an unauthorized dealer with horrible online reviews to PC Richard's to match.  They right off the bat explained it was an unauthorized seller and showed me a list of these from Samsung.  Haggled for a while with out much luck.  Told them I had to leave to pick my wife up at Macy's and would be back in 15 minutes (this was actually true) and I would be back for their best price.  Long story short, ultimately got it for $1,000 off the sale price they had shown for, or $900 less than the delivered price from Amazon!  I am happy.  Will be here Friday and they are taking away the old set too!