Howard

What big screen TV should I buy??

I've had a Panasonic plasma tv for prob 7 years now. No problems. It gets watched A LOT between my wife and kids. If I had to guess I would say it is on 5-6 hours a day. Mostly its constantly on when they are home.

Maybe our's has lasted b/c it hardly ever gets shut of! :)

They last just fine. The blacks become less black though. 

I know this is an old topic, but now I am in the market for a new large screen TV.  I specifically want a 70 inch.  Samsung only makes 65 inch or 75 inch - no 70 inch.  So I guess I can't go with them.  Going to go with the Sharp Aquos Q series (LC-70SQ15U).  My budget is up to $1.700

Forgot to add.

Is there any reason NOT to get this one.

I know this is an old topic, but now I am in the market for a new large screen TV. I specifically want a 70 inch. Samsung only makes 65 inch or 75 inch - no 70 inch. So I guess I can't go with them. Going to go with the Sharp Aquos Q series (LC-70SQ15U). My budget is up to $1.700

That's what I have and I love it. Great picture and sound.

Just curious, Why is it so critical to get exactly 70" ?

It's not critical, but if there is anything I read so far, is that everyone regrets not getting a bigger TV.  I currently have a 57 inch, my feeling is the 65 inch may not make a dramatic difference so I want at least a 70 inch.  The Samsung 75 is a little out of my budget and may be too big for my room.  I feel if I get the samsung 65 inch I will regret not going slightly bigger.

Just read an article this past weekend on TVs.  Stated now is not the time to look for one.  Best time is in March right before the new models come out in the spring or second best is just before the Superbowl.  Christmas not the best time.  Tier one are Sony, Samsung, Pansonic, and LG.  Tier two Vizio and Sharp.  Forget the others.  Other issue was to make sure of the model number, big box stores and others run derivatives with different model numbers that are cheaper because they leave out key features you don't realize you don't have until you get it home.  Can't find the article at the moment, but these were the key issues.

Well all I can say is I have had 65" sets for about 15 years and the size is good.  I find that I really like the new curved one as it pulls you into the picture.  I guess it depends how big a room you have, but then again I have this new one in a very large room and it is plenty big.

Well all I can say is I have had 65" sets for about 15 years and the size is good.  I find that I really like the new curved one as it pulls you into the picture.  I guess it depends how big a room you have, but then again I have this new one in a very large room and it is plenty big.

Thanks Howard, I will consider it.  Need to see what the the price range is and if it fits my budget.

Just remember you are dealing with consumer electronics.  There is a law of the world when it comes to these products.  Anything you can buy today will be cheaper in the future and there will be a similar product with more features at the same or better price as well.  If you wait for the newest feature or best price you will be very old and still not have the product.